Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
giphy.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Please don't kill me for playing mad scientist. It's draft day. NYR took Schneider last night. They already have a million RHD's. We have a million LHD's. So... York for Nils Lundkvist? Again, please don't kill me.

Lundkvist is really pretty good, isn't he? IIRC he had a fairly sweet WJC last year. He's less ginger than York too, if memory serves.

Reactions: Stizzle

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
@Stizzle they also could use a 2C/3C of VERY high quality, and there's nothing as comforting as familiarity. See where I'm going here? Swing a Hayes, Foerster, York for Lundkvist, Kravtsov, picks megadeal. Maybe throw in Hogg and Braun to balance it out.
Can we get the silver medal thrower too? They hate him and he hates them....

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Chuck said there are 15 players they like and expect one to be there through the 22 picks in the 2nd round. That is from the interview posted on the Flyers' site.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Please don't kill me for playing mad scientist. It's draft day. NYR took Schneider last night. They already have a million RHD's. We have a million LHD's. So... York for Nils Lundkvist? Again, please don't kill me.

What do u think of foudy or nybeck?

Reactions: SanBlom

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Stizzle they also could use a 2C/3C of VERY high quality, and there's nothing as comforting as familiarity. See where I'm going here? Swing a Hayes, Foerster, York for Lundkvist, Kravtsov, picks megadeal. Maybe throw in Hogg and Braun to balance it out.

THEN we send Kravtsov to San Jose for Ozzy. Holy f***. GALAXY BRAIN!

person-plays-guitar-on-cat.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It originated when they were interviewing Byfield an the woman conducting the interview brought up he was the highest black player selected in the nhl draft. I commented that Byfield is not black which he is not. He is mixed race....which if you ever have taken a dna test we all are.

My anger stems from how the NHL has inserted itself into the topic of race, after all the major sports leagues. This was another moment where they were just trying to capitalize on what little diversity exists in that sport on all levels. I thought it was cringe worthy , and not worth mentioning, and then to compound it by not even recognizing his mixed race. There are a lot of racial biases that have been ingrained into The Americas culture. If we are ever going to get to a point where there is no racial bias then we have to learn what needs to be corrected. One of those corrections is identifying those of mixed race as a single race.

I understand what you're saying, and don't disagree, but I would add the following:

Most biracial people, particularly those who are 1/2 or more, identify as black because that's the way they are perceived by the general public. Most biracial people with dark skin tones experience the same type of systemic racism that black people go through; their interactions are the same.

For example, when I was little, I noticed being stared at when I was with my dad vs when I was with my mom. There was a 'black guy' (my father) walking around with 3 white kids (my siblings and I). We got looks we didn't get with my mom. That actually happened. Walking around with my 'black' cousins vs my white cousins - we get different looks. They have had completely different experiences than I have.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that Byfield very likely had a more 'black' experience than 'white', and he also very accepting of the tag black. Being black in America isn't just about the color of your skin. It's also about the experiences you go through. He's not black, but he's not white, either.

Also - (not to you jtown - to everyone) I'm not going to get into a debate on racial inequality on a hockey board.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Obviously it could mean that the Caps were bidding with another team for the Calgary pick, but I am curious if they thought the Flyers liked Lapierre. Maybe this information was posted somewhere or it was said that they heard another team was trying to jump to 22 to get him. More curious since it was right before the Flyers.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
If they pick Tyler Kleven with their 2nd pick...there needs to be a full-scale riot. Torches and pitchforks included. I am quite worried they’ll pick him and the Flyers will have another Hagg-esque clone (but even dumber than Hagg.) I’m at work so I won’t be able to follow today’s draft selections closely. I’m a sad panda as a result

Reactions: VladDrag
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad