NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I disagree. I'm starting to lose some faith in Byfield, as I think are a good number of people. Of course the upside is still tremendous, but there are some pretty special players at the top of this draft, and at a certain point just having potential isn't enough. Hlinkas, World Juniors, CHL prospects game, he's constantly being outshone within his age group.

For me Lucas Raymond is clearly the better prospect at this point, and I can easily see how someone would take Stützle over him. Not sure about Drysdale, but I've seen a number of rankings that have had either Raymond or Stützle ahead of Byfield, so him at 4th isn't all that out there.
Clearly the better prospect? How so? I’ve never seen a ranking that matters have him over Byfield

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I disagree. I'm starting to lose some faith in Byfield, as I think are a good number of people. Of course the upside is still tremendous, but there are some pretty special players at the top of this draft, and at a certain point just having potential isn't enough. Hlinkas, World Juniors, CHL prospects game, he's constantly being outshone within his age group.

For me Lucas Raymond is clearly the better prospect at this point, and I can easily see how someone would take Stützle over him. Not sure about Drysdale, but I've seen a number of rankings that have had either Raymond or Stützle ahead of Byfield, so him at 4th isn't all that out there.
technically the world juniors was not his age group. he got buried in the lineup.. this happens every year. even last year after the WJC there were "Laf didn't look great could he be over taken for 1st overall in 2020?"

stutzle over byfield really hmm interesting

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Clearly the better prospect? How so? I’ve never seen a ranking that matters have him over Byfield

Just my opinion. He's pretty much a flawless hockey player. Puckhandling, skating, passing, shooting, hockey IQ, work ethic, tenacity, defensive stick, awareness and responsibility, poise, creativity, the ability to think and execute at full speed and with limited time and space. There's practically no weakness to his game, except for one pretty signigicant one - physical size and strength. He is quite strong relative to his size and age though, so I'm fairly confident that in due time he can get to a point where it's not a major limiting factor in the NHL.

And with Byfield I have some concerns. He certainly doesn't use his frame to it's full advantage. He plays a bit of a perimeter game. That's not a deciding factor, as he has plenty of time to figure it out. But a bigger concern to me is his pace. Yes he's a phenomenal skater, but he often looks slow to react to the play around him, and despite his size he loses puck battles to smaller, quicker players.

Granted, I've watched Raymond upwards of 20 times, compared to Byfield who, excluding his limited role at World Juniors, I've only seen maybe six or seven times.

So yes, to me Raymond is clearly the second best prospect in the draft. I would say upside is better than Lafreniere's. But I'd still rank Lafreniere ahead of him because he's a safer pick.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
technically the world juniors was not his age group. he got buried in the lineup.. this happens every year. even last year after the WJC there were "Laf didn't look great could he be over taken for 1st overall in 2020?"

stutzle over byfield really hmm interesting

You misunderstood. I wasn't very clear on that though so I can't blame you, it's just hard to clarify every point and try to stay concise. He was outshone by other players in his age group at World Juniors. Drysdale, Stützle, Raymond, Holtz.

Not everybody who doesn't love Byfield formed their opinion of him based on World Juniors. It is disingenuous to assume that just because someone isn't as high on him it means they made that mistake.

I still had Byfield second after World Juniors. But Raymond has raised his game since then, and I still see the same issues with Byfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: ijif

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Just my opinion. He's pretty much a flawless hockey player. Puckhandling, skating, passing, shooting, hockey IQ, work ethic, tenacity, defensive stick, awareness and responsibility, poise, creativity, the ability to think and execute at full speed and with limited time and space. There's practically no weakness to his game, except for one pretty signigicant one - physical size and strength. He is quite strong relative to his size and age though, so I'm fairly confident that in due time he can get to a point where it's not a major limiting factor in the NHL.

And with Byfield I have some concerns. He certainly doesn't use his frame to it's full advantage. He plays a bit of a perimeter game. That's not a deciding factor, as he has plenty of time to figure it out. But a bigger concern to me is his pace. Yes he's a phenomenal skater, but he often looks slow to react to the play around him, and despite his size he loses puck battles to smaller, quicker players.

Granted, I've watched Raymond upwards of 20 times, compared to Byfield who, excluding his limited role at World Juniors, I've only seen maybe six or seven times.

So yes, to me Raymond is clearly the second best prospect in the draft. I would say upside is better than Lafreniere's. But I'd still rank Lafreniere ahead of him because he's a safer pick.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have nothing against Raymond, I just can't pass up on Byfield at #2. If they somehow got 1 and 2 I don't think you pick two wingers.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Any of the top 5 are impactful. Perfect world is Byfield. Centre is the hardest to find and he projects as a game changer. I’m also a huge fan of Rossi. And if someone would bite I’d do Brown and a 2nd to draft Jack Quinn as well.
Having a centre depth around Byfield, Norris, Quinn, Pageau in two years, plus the likes of Chlapik, Kastelic, Pinto, etc would be outstanding. Brown to me is the odd guy out and would return good value to the right buyer. Targeting a Quinn return.

Reactions: FightLikeMike

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Any of the top 5 are impactful. Perfect world is Byfield. Centre is the hardest to find and he projects as a game changer. I’m also a huge fan of Rossi. And if someone would bite I’d do Brown and a 2nd to draft Jack Quinn as well.
Having a centre depth around Byfield, Norris, Quinn, Pageau in two years, plus the likes of Chlapik, Kastelic, Pinto, etc would be outstanding. Brown to me is the odd guy out and would return good value to the right buyer. Targeting a Quinn return.

I can't imagine Brown's value is particularly high right now. Maybe a 2nd if we can swindle someone like we did with Lazar.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I can't imagine Brown's value is particularly high right now. Maybe a 2nd if we can swindle someone like we did with Lazar.
Brown and a 2nd is my thought. I’d even consider something more to get him as third 1st this year.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Did you just compare Logan Brown to Curtis Lazar???

I get that he hasn't made much of an impact in the NHL yet, but we knew he was a long-term project. And we're not rushing. If we were a playoff team, he probably would have been in Ottawa all year. But we're doing the smart thing and focusing on development.

Rebuilding teams don't trade 21 year olds with that much potential. I'm pretty confident he'll hit 50 assists one day. Such a good passer with unreal vision. The skating will come, as it did with Stone. You can work on skating, but its hard to work on hockey IQ. Logan's got it.

Reactions: jhutter and aragorn

Swedish House

Jun 17, 2015
Jut curious to see what is the feeling here.

I had a conversation with friends about would they rather have pick 2 and 3 or 1 and 7.

Your opinion?

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

I had a conversation with friends about would they rather have pick 2 and 3 or 1 and 7.

Your opinion?

Which ever combo makes you land Laferriere. We desperately need a high-end talent at forward position.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ya'll are crazy impatient. Stone didn't make the NHL until 2 full seasons in the AHL, Hoffman 4 years and a stint in the ECHL. Brown is having better first pro years than either of those guys. I would say he is on verge of busting had he not been dominant in the AHL, but he has.

Not everyone can be a Karlsson where they stay there for 2 weeks and get called n never go back down. Have some patience, especially when the guy's weakness is something that can be worked on and have literally seen a guy (Stone) just go through it before our own eyes and get better at it.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Your opinion?
1 and 7.

Give me

Laf and 1 of Holtz/Pereftti/Stutzle/Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale/Lundell

over

Byfield and 1 of Holtz/Pereftti/Stutzle/Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale/Lundell

I'd go Forward-Forward, and then hit D in the 2nd and 3rd, lots of very good D will be available there

We are absolutely laughing all the way to the bank either way

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Your opinion?

Interesting question. I am going to go 1 and 7. I really like Lafreniere and think if we can get Rossi/Perfetti/Lundell at 7 we'd be doing just fine.

I think Lafreniere is the best in the draft and will make an almost immediate impact.

I would rather have Lafreniere and one of those 3 than Byf1eld and Raymond/Stutzle although that would not be at all bad either.

Reactions: innocent bystander

Runback

Jul 26, 2014

I don't think Jack Quinn is a centre. But I'd love to get him regardless.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Your opinion?

It is an interesting question, and difficult to decide. I'll go against the grain and say I'd take my chances at 2 and 3. If Lafreniere is a slam dunk to be an elite offensive forward, Stützle, Raymond and Byfield are lay-ups, I guess. A little more risk and time commitment, but all three have similar (maybe better) upside to Lafreniere. The chance of having two guys on that level is worth the risk.

7 is probably going to get you a really good player, but very unlikely to be on the same level as those four.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
1 and 7.

Give me

Laf and 1 of Holtz/Pereftti/Stutzle/Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale/Lundell

over

Byfield and 1 of Holtz/Pereftti/Stutzle/Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale/Lundell

I'd go Forward-Forward, and then hit D in the 2nd and 3rd, lots of very good D will be available there

We are absolutely laughing all the way to the bank either way

We will be picking 4 and 6/7

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I know we need a ton of help up front but... If we miss on the top 3 .I think we should take him
Is Doughty a bad comparable??

Kid hasn't even turned 18 yet. I'd be happy to add him with the 2nd pick if we can. I think he's a home run, and we should be able to take one or two swings for a home run with our 2nd round picks.

Between Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Brown and Duclair, we should have 5 top-six forwards by the end of next year. Pageau, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov and Paul could play up if necessary. Pinto coming up, plus whoever we take in the 2nd this year.

We really need that elite forward (I think we'll get it with our pick).

Adding a 1st round RHD in 3 consecutive drafts, with Chabot, Brannstrom and Wolanin on the left would be setting up for a great blueline by the start of 2021-2022.
Which ever combo makes you land Laferriere. We desperately need a high-end talent at forward position.
1 and 7. The gap between Lafreniere and Byfield/Stutzle is bigger than the gap between Byfield/Stutzle and Holtz/Perfetti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad