NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

WHL 2019-2020: 44 GP 15 G 31 A 46 PTS
WHL Network
Neighbours is having a good season. He plays an aggressive game kind of like Brady Tkachuk, Jake DeBrusk, and Brendan Gallagher.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
2020 first time eligibles World Juniors ATOI - I didn't count games where players were injured or ill, but did count games where players dressed and didn't play:

Simon Kubicek D, Czech - 23:10
Karel Klikorka D, Czech - 19:21
Tim Stützle LW, Germany - 18:43
Radek Kucerik D, Czech - 18:16
Alexis Lafreniere LW, Canada - 18:06
Jaromir Pytlik C, Czech - 17:55
Simon Knak RW, Swiss - 15:18
Samuel Knazko D, Slovakia - 15:08
Marko Stacha D, Slovakia - 14:43
Jan Mysak LW, Czech - 14:05
J.J. Peterka W, Germany - 13:20
Lucas Raymond W, Sweden - 13:10
Alexander Holtz W, Sweden - 13:08
Adam Raska W, Czech - 12:53
Lukas Reichel F, Germany - 12:28
Jamie Drysdale D, Canada - 11:39
Quinton Byfield F, Canada - 8:42
Dawson Mercer F, Canada - 7:19
Maxim Groshev W, Russia - 2:49

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
If Jack Quinn is available with our 2nd or 3rd second round pick I wouldn’t mind snagging him up. Our original second round pick should be used on someone who has fallen a lot (guys possibly like Mercer, Mysak, Barron, etc...)

He seems to get to the right areas a lot and it helps that he has a very good shot. Probably a decent 2nd-3rd line scoring option down the road.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Jack Quinn is available with our 2nd or 3rd second round pick I wouldn’t mind snagging him up. Our original second round pick should be used on someone who has fallen a lot (guys possibly like Mercer, Mysak, Barron, etc...)

He seems to get to the right areas a lot and it helps that he has a very good shot. Probably a decent 2nd-3rd line scoring option down the road.
Quinn is going to be a top 15 pick by the time the draft rolls around. He has 30 goals in 38 games showing elite skill and creativity.

If the sens get him it will be with San Jose's pick. Which i wouldnt be upset about he is a hell of a player.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Quinn is going to be a top 15 pick by the time the draft rolls around. He has 30 goals in 38 games showing elite skill and creativity.

If the sens get him it will be with San Jose's pick. Which i wouldnt be upset about he is a hell of a player.
with scoring like that in a Draft year I wonder why hes not ranked higher right now?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
with scoring like that in a Draft year I wonder why hes not ranked higher right now?
The OHL specific lists all have him higher up. Sam Cosentino had him 15th overall. Just saw him on another list that had him as the 5th best OHL prospect after Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti and Drysdale.

I mean if the sens trade Pageau for a first and it ends up between 18 and 22 they might have a shot with that pick but it would be highly unlikely. However the sens could move up using one of their seconds to take him.

Quinn just oozes high end offensive talent i dont think he drops very far if he keeps going like this he could be in the conversation as a top 10 pick. Despite being a late birthday he is also a late bloomer physically. He is also responsible defensively.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Have to admit, I've only seen him once this season back in November, but I'm not convinced. Looking at late birthdays this year like Zary, Mercer, Quinn, they're putting up really similar numbers to what late firsts and seconds Poulin, Pelletier, Tomasino, McMichael, Rees are doing in their 18 year old seasons. At this point the only one I'm convinced is a top 15 pick is Connor Zary (I've also seen him a lot more than I've seen Quinn).

Of course there are always going to be late-bloomers, but Quinn did half a point per game last year as a 17 year old, and now at 18 on a stacked veteran-laden team he's suddenly putting up ridiculous goal totals with a wonky goal:assist ratio. A lot of little red flags for me.

I don't doubt it when you say he shows elite skill and creativity... at the junior level.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Have to admit, I've only seen him once this season back in November, bit I'm not convinced. Looking at late birthdays this year like Zary, Mercer, Quinn, they're putting up really similar numbers to what late firsts and seconds Poulin, Pelletier, Tomasino, McMichael, Rees, Tracey are doing in their 18 year old seasons. At this point the only one I'm convinced is a top 15 pick is Connor Zary (I've also seen him a lot more than I've seen Quinn).

Of course there are always going to be late-bloomers, but Quinn did half a point per game last year as a 17 year old, and now at 18 on a stacked veteran-laden team he's suddenly putting up ridiculous goal totals with a wonky goal:assist ratio. A lot of little red flags for me.

I don't doubt it when you say he shows elite skill and creativity... at the junior level.
Well first of all he doesn't play with Rossi, Gareffa or Keating so suggesting his production is due to his scenario is not accurate. He plays with Hoelscher and a rotating 16/17 year old. Which is why his goal to assist ratio is the way it is he is by far the best finisher in his line. Secondly its quite clear that him and Rossi are the two most talented and creative players on the team. The both drive their own lines.

Looking at comparable production without watching the players is not a good way to go about projecting and evaluating the player. But even if you do his goal scoring ability and production does seperate him from the players you mentioned.

Watching Quinn last season the talent was evident even in a limited roll. The plays he makes and the goals he scored projected that he had the potential to break out this year as he was only a rookie last season. For example i dont think you would find anyone that watches the team consistently would say Graeme Clarke was the player with more upside despite outscoring Quinn last season and being the same age.

Quinn started last season at 5'9 he is now 6'1 and as I mentioned before he was a rookie. He is a late physical bloomer. He is worth the price of admission he makes some incredible plays out there and I think is just realizing his potential and the ability to be consistent. Its kinda funny that you suggest he is scoring so much because of jr hockey. However if you look at how Rossi and Quinn both produce id be more inclined to say Rossi's production and style may not translate as well to the next level. Now dont think I am saying Rossi isnt the better prospect he certainly is but Quinn is bigger and more elusive in how he can fluidly weave through defenders.

Rossi is much more polished and closer to a finished product than Quinn in my opinion.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I have watched the ridiculous progression of Quinn this year. I expect he goes top 20 or even top 15. It’s insane how much he improves week to week.

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The consolation prize... assuming no Laf or Byf.

So Who is it going to be? Who would you take next between

Raymond, Stutzle, Rossi, Perfetti, Drysdale, Holtz, Lundell, somebody else?

Pick ONE

Its not an easy choice and I think they are all good picks but , having to pick just one.. I am going with Stutzle.

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Pick ONE

Its not an easy choice and I think they are all good picks but , having to pick just one.. I am going with Stutzle.

Raymond

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019

Pick ONE

Raymond

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Well first of all he doesn't play with Rossi, Gareffa or Keating so suggesting his production is due to his scenario is not accurate. He plays with Hoelscher and a rotating 16/17 year old. Which is why his goal to assist ratio is the way it is he is by far the best finisher in his line.

Ok but the team is still stacked. There are a lot of factors involved. He's driving the second line, but that means he's always getting opponent's secondary matchups. And Hoelscher is no slouch - a 19 year old sixth round pick. He also sees regular time with and benefits from the puck moving of Hoefenmayer, Bahl, Belanger, and he occasionally plays with the top players on the powerplay.

Looking at comparable production without watching the players is not a good way to go about projecting and evaluating the player.

Ugh. Dude, seriously? I just disagreed with you. No need to be condescending. I've seen most of the players in my top ten 5-10 times, some more, between U17s, U18s, Hlinkas, U20s, etc. I'll get around to watching him more, but based on the stats and the one game I've seen this year I'm not sold that he's top 15.

But even if you do his goal scoring ability and production does seperate him from the players you mentioned.

Meh. McMichael's goals per game are significantly better (although I'm sure most would agree he should have gone earlier in the draft). Even after Quinn's hat trick yesterday, Tomasino, Zary, Mercer, Rees are within five goals pro-rated, with better total point production.

Its kinda funny that you suggest he is scoring so much because of jr hockey.

I never said or suggested any such thing. I don't even know what this means.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ok but the team is still stacked. There are a lot of factors involved. He's driving the second line, but that means he's always getting opponent's secondary matchups. And Hoelscher is no slouch - a 19 year old sixth round pick. He also sees regular time with and benefits from the puck moving of Hoefenmayer, Bahl, Belanger, and he occasionally plays with the top players on the powerplay.
--
Ugh. Dude, seriously? I just disagreed with you. No need to be condescending. I've seen most of the players in my top ten 5-10 times, some more, between U17s, U18s, Hlinkas, U20s, etc. I'll get around to watching him more, but based on the stats and the one game I've seen this year I'm not sold that he's top 15.
--
Meh. McMichael's goals per game are significantly better (although I'm sure most would agree he should have gone earlier in the draft). Even after Quinn's hat trick yesterday, Tomasino, Zary, Mercer, Rees are within five goals pro-rated, with better total point production.

Quinn's stock has risen no doubt about that. Zary and Mercer have bigger names right now , imo. All 3 will be fairly close off the board I would think.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Pick ONE

Stutzle.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Quinn's stock has risen no doubt about that. Zary and Mercer have bigger names right now , imo. All 3 will be fairly close off the board I would think.
I like Mercer a lot. If the SJ winds up in the 12-15 range I won’t complain about either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Well which one is it? Is it better to play first line minutes with all the best players on the team or play second line without the best players with easier matchups? You cant have it both ways. There are positives and negatives to both aspects I dont really think its fair to hold it against a player. Also saying that he is benefiting from playing with Belanger... Quinn is making the players around him better not vice versa. You have admitted you havent watched him much but this argument suggests that you are unfamiliar with the player. Hoelscher is a nice player he gets Quinn the puck but one player is driving that line. If you watch the 67's highlites you will see the types of goals he is scoring and the plays he is making, he brings you out of your seat. But if you dont believe me then here are some people with a more tangible track record than me.

OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 50 for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Sportsnet’s 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: January - Sportsnet.ca

I agree with your stance on comparing age group production when a player is a late. But sometimes there are other factors you have to take into account, this is Quinns second year in the league, he spent his first year on the 3rd and 4th line with very little power play time and like I said before he started last year at 5'9 now he is 6'1. He is getting real opportunity now and making the most of it. Those players all played as 16 year olds and are in their third year, different development curves. I think Quinn, Mercer and Zary are all likely in the same tier, I have just seen game breaking skill from Quinn. I saw it last year too tbh.

Agreed that Mcmichael goes way ahead of where he was picked at this point thats why Quinns goal production is valuable. So I think you agree with this but not really? It was hard to tell from your post.

I never said or suggested any such thing. I don't even know what this means.

Umm ok what did this mean?

Anyways its fair to be skeptical without watching Quinn play, but I think once you do and if you look at some of his highlites you'll see what ive seen and what the people scouting him are seeing. He appears to just be scratching the surface.

This is a really great draft year, which is why I think the sens need to stay the course and get another first for Pageau. They likely end up with one of Zary, Quinn, Mercer, Mysak, Holloway etc. All players that can be top 6 and if they really develop top line players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad