Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread every day until we have determined the top 20 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards for I think my 10th straight year. The criteria for a prospect will be loosely based on Calder eligibility. There may be a couple that slip through the cracks the first few posts because I am not perfect. Also please let me know if I have someone listed that is no longer with us, or any omissions. Comprehensive prospect lists are a little harder to find than you'd think this time of year.

Rankings:
1. Rasmus Sandin -- 48.4%
2. Nicholas Robertson -- 83.5%
3. Timothy Liljegren -- 53.8%
4. Rod Iron Amirov -- 94.3%
5. Mikhail Abramov -- 36.5%
6. Filip Hallander -- 32.4%
7. Yegor Korshkov -- 47.2%
T-8. Joey Anderson -- 27.7%
T-8. Nick Abruzzese -- 27.7%
10. Roni Hirvonen -- 45.6%
11. Topi Niemela -- 40.7%

Mac Hollowell
Filip Kral
Adam Brooks
Ian Scott
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Dmitri Ovechkinov
Artur Ahktyamov
Mikko Kokkonen
Joe Duszak
Pontus Holmberg
William Villeneuve
Joe Woll

JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Vladislav Kara
Ryan O'Connell
Semyon Kizimov
Justin Brazeau
Teemu Kivihalme
Michael Koster
Calle Loponen
Joe Miller
Wyatt Schingoethe
Ryan Tverberg
Axell Rindell
Veeti Miettinen
John Fusco

Prospect Info: - 2019 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #20

Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #1
Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #2

Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #3
Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #4
Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #5
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2020-leafs-board-prospect-rankings-6.2785116/
Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #7
Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #8
Prospect Info: - 2020 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #10

Suggest who I should add next, and who needs to be removed. :D

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kokkonen then it gets interesting. I could see any of SDA, Woll, Scott, Kral, Hollowell or Villeneuve winning 13 TBH.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I still really like SDA. I’m taking him, but I can see the argument for a couple other guys

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I have Hollowell here. I like his blend of skating, grit and skill. He jumped up the charts the year after being drafted despite being an OA player in his draft year. He had a pretty good transition to pro. Needs to take a jump this year. I think he's in the same class of defenseman as Niemela and Kokkonen and I'm surprised he hasn't received more fan fare to date.

In SDA's case. His goal totals were so low it is hard to see how he translates to the next level. He's a good prospect, but appears to be a bit of an outlier in terms of goal output. I think that should see him slide a bit here.

The two defenseman Hollowell and Kokkonen and the goalies Woll, Scott and Akhtyamov should settle in here now.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
12. Mikko Kokkonen
13. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
14. Veeti Miettinen
15. Will Villeneuve
16. Pontus Holmberg
17. Dmitri Ovchinnikov
18. Filip Kral
19. Mac Hollowell
20. Adam Brooks

That to me is where the "real" prospects end. Guys who are intriguing and trending the right way though:

Michael Koster
Calle Loponen
Axel Rindell
Joe Miller
Wyatt Schingoethe
Joseph Duszak
Justin Brazeau
Riley McCourt

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So I guess Kral is massively underrated eh

I mean maybe? He's the oldest guy on this list that's not playing in a pro league though.

I still love his potential, but I'd have to be convinced to have him over a number of guys today.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean maybe? He's the oldest guy on this list that's not playing in a pro league though.

I still love his potential, but I'd have to be convinced to have him over a number of guys today.

He just turned 21, two days ago. In normal circumstances he’d just be becoming a rookie with the Toronto Marlies

He’s playing in the Czech2 league right now and is looking pretty good for that level. He’s probably got a shot to be promoted.

Dude, IMO, has a shot to turn into a top 4 guy, while his floor is that of a Tim Heed type of guy due to the style he plays.

To add context, I’m not trying/wasn’t meaning to say Kral should be voted above Kokkonen. my comment was more referred to people saying there’s a big gap between Kokkonen and the next group of prospects. Kral should be there. I’d argue Villy should be there.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He just turned 21, two days ago. In normal circumstances he’d just be becoming a rookie with the Toronto Marlies

He’s playing in the Czech2 league right now and is looking pretty good for that level. He’s probably got a shot to be promoted.

Dude, IMO, has a shot to turn into a top 4 guy, while his floor is that of a Tim Heed type of guy due to the style he plays.

To add context, I’m not trying/wasn’t meaning to say Kral should be voted above Kokkonen. my comment was more referred to people saying there’s a big gap between Kokkonen and the next group of prospects. Kral should be there. I’d argue Villy should be there.

I think so too, but even then he's still not a pro in a relatively weaker league in comparison to Kokkonen/Holmberg/etc. Hoping he gets promoted soon. It'd be really nice to see what happens when he plays pro. Definitely dont disagree about his potential, I'm just not sure I think he's ahead of most of the "real" prospects left?

Yeah I don't get that either, Imo Kokkonen is actually the start of the next tier with the rest of the top-20~ being around the same level. They all look like they have some level of NHL potential.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Yeah I don't get that either, Imo Kokkonen is actually the start of the next tier with the rest of the top-20~ being around the same level. They all look like they have some level of NHL potential.

Kokkonen is an assistant captain for Jukurit and one their leaders in TOI. That kind of presence in the Liiga as a teenager is very impressive and puts him clearly above the rest of the guys in this range. He doesn't have much offensive game but I'm pretty sure he's at least a bottom pair NHL guy if he's already a capable defender as a teenager in good competition.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I
So I guess Kral is massively underrated eh
Who would you have him over so far? Is he even better than someone like Hollowell at this point?

Also what's with Rindell, he has a lot better numbers than Kokkonen on the same team; I'm guessing he needs a lot of work on his defensive game?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kokkonen is an assistant captain for Jukurit and one their leaders in TOI. That kind of presence in the Liiga as a teenager is very impressive and puts him clearly above the rest of the guys in this range. He doesn't have much offensive game but I'm pretty sure he's at least a bottom pair NHL guy if he's already a capable defender as a teenager in good competition.

I kinda went over his numbers (CF% / OZS / Team CF%) in Liiga in the prospects thread and they're slightly concerning even with them improving slightly and him being on a bad team.

I like him, I just don't really see him in the group above without him taking some major steps. Might just be me though :dunno:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Many prospects being slept on.

Kokonnen
Ovchinnkov
Scott
Woll
Artur

Etc.

Good problem to have.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
why do people keep saying this? He was 13th last year

It's actually kind of indicative how good of a season he had that he's staying at 13.

3 guys (Bracco, Moore, Lindgren) are no longer with the team (lol Bracco going 3rd- I had Mikheyev, you had Robby ;)), 2 guys graduating (Mikheyev & Engvall), and 3 guys (probably) dropping behind him (Woll, Scott, & Hollowell). The only guys that were in the organization at that point that passed him were Abramov, Abruzzese and they both obviously had far superior seasons and were unranked last year.

With all the talent we've added since the last rankings too: Hallander, Anderson, Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemela, Viellleneuve, Ovchinnikov, Miettinen, etc he had to have a real good bounce back season or else he wouldn't be anywhere near 12 or 13.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's actually kind of indicative how good of a season he had that he's staying at 13.

3 guys (Bracco, Moore, Lindgren) are no longer with the team (lol Bracco going 3rd- I had Mikheyev, you had Robby ;)), 2 guys graduating (Mikheyev & Engvall), and 3 guys (probably) dropping behind him (Woll, Scott, & Hollowell). The only guys that were in the organization at that point that passed him were Abramov, Abruzzese and they both obviously had far superior seasons and were unranked last year.

With all the talent we've added since the last rankings too: Hallander, Anderson, Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemela, Viellleneuve, Ovchinnikov, Miettinen, etc he had to have a real good bounce back season or else he wouldn't be anywhere near 12 or 13.
It's just wild that there's a narrative now that his stock is dropping like a stone. I think even if he drops past 13, it's because the pool got better around him. He significantly raised his stock as a prospect going from a very underwhelming D+1 season to a very solid D+2 season.

Personally I really like his game. Any prospect with high end attributes like his creativity and vision are very intriguing to me in this range, even though there are obviously a lot of question marks. He assisted on 55% of his team's goals at even strength. Frost assisted on 53.8% in his D+2 season. Kyrou was also at 55%, as was Akil Thomas. The goal scoring isn't there, but the high end playmaking comparables are. I think if we're so high on Abramov because of what he accomplished on such a low end team, SDA is in a similar vein for me but obviously to a lesser extent

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad