2020 is a BEAST of a Draft for Canada

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I remember posters dumping on the 2020 Draft (my friend, @Just Linda, was not a fan :) ) but 2020 is turning into a BEAST of a Draft for Canada....

* LAF just had his first Hat Trick and a 5 point night
* Byfield at 21 is 6'5" - the sky is the limit.
* If Drysdale can stay healthy, he will be awesome.
* Same (above) applies to Jack Quinn.
* Seth Jarvis may end up being the best two way player in the draft - by a wide margin.
* Cole Perfetti - a rising star in Winnipeg.
* Guhle is already very good in Montreal - averaging 21 minutes a night.
* Dawson Mercer has been terrific in New Jersey
* Braden Schneider, at 22, has already played 198 games on a stacked Ranger team.
* Hendrix Lapierre is almost 0.5PPG averaging only 11 minutes per game.
* Tyson Forester is doing well in Philly
* Connor Zary's gonna be a star in Calgary
* Justin Barron is playing almost 19 minutes a night in Montreal.
* Jake Neighbours is a BEAST and exceeded all expectations.
* Ridly Greig is doing well in Ottawa.
* Mavrik Bourgue is tearing up the AHL - he is their leading scorer and may win MVP.

^^ And that is JUST the first round. ^^

* Luke Evangelista was chosen 42nd.
* William Cuylle was taken at 60
* Devon Levi at 212

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I remember posters dumping on the 2020 Draft but it is turning into a BEAST of a Draft for Canada....

* LAF just had his first Hat Trick and a 5 point night
* Byfield at 21 and 6'5", the sky is the limit.
* If Drysdale can stay healthy, he will be awesome.
* Same (above) applies to Jack Quinn.
* Seth Jarvis may end up being the best two way player in the draft - by a wide margin.
* Guhle is already very good in Montreal - averaging 21 minutes a night.
* Dawson Mercer has been terrific in New Jersey
* Braden Schneider, at 22, has already played 198 games on a stacked Ranger team.
* Hendrix Lapierre is almost 0.5PPG averaging only 11 minutes per game.
* Tyson Forester is doing well in Philly
* Connor Zary's gonna be a star in Calgary
* Justin Barron is playing almost 19 minutes a night in Montreal.
* Jake Neighbours is a BEAST and exceeded all expectations.
* Ridly Greig is going to be great.
* Mavrik Bourgue is tearing up the AHL - he is their leading scorer and may win MVP.

^^ And that is JUST the first round. ^^

* Luke Evangelista was chosen 42nd.
* William Cuylle was taken at 60
* Devon Levi at 212
Too early to tell as it was only 4 years ago and a lot of these players haven’t proven themselves at the NHL level yet. It definitely looks bright and Canadian players still top the list when it comes to NHL totals for this class. However, it hasn’t produced NHL ready-stars such as Jrob, Fox ,Tkachuks, or the Hughes in the 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 American draft classes

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Too early to tell as it was only 4 years ago and a lot of these players haven’t proven themselves at the NHL level yet. It definitely looks bright and Canadian players still top the list when it comes to NHL totals for this class. However, it hasn’t produced NHL ready-stars such as Jrob, Fox ,Tkachuks, or the Hughes in the 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 American draft classes
Almost all of the players I mentioned have proven themselves in the NHL - 2/3rds have played more than 100 NHL games. Some have played more than 200 !

Yes, Mavrik Bourgue has never played in the NHL but he will likely be the AHL's MVP at the age of 22.

I also don't understand comparing this ONE Canadian draft to FOUR different U.S. drafts?

If these players continue on their current trajectory, this draft will be amazing.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Almost all of the players I mentioned have proven themselves in the NHL - 2/3rds have played more than 100 NHL games. Some have played more than 200 !

Yes, Mavrik Bourgue has never played in the NHL but he will likely be the AHL's MVP at the age of 22.

I also don't understand comparing this ONE Canadian draft to FOUR different U.S. drafts?

If these players continue on their current trajectory, this draft will be amazing.

I'm sorry but I just don't see a monster draft here because I do not see much star potential.
Laf will be a decent 2nd line winger who will regularly pot in 25-30 goals a year. Byfield could end up being a ppg player but that's if all things go well (in terms of supporting cast as he really isn't a play driver). Jarvis has been good, relative to where he was picked but he isn't going to be an elite talent. The best players out of this draft will be (and are) Stutzle, a German, and Sanderson, an American.
Yes, this draft has produced some solid players for Canada but nothing really high end and certainly not at a "monster level".

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Some very good results for many of those guys this year but also some setbacks.

I think probably too many elaborate adjectives being thrown around to try and make the point…Mercer has taken a step back this year. Barron is not only not amazing, he’s not even an NHLer right now. Drysdale has looked rusty when he’s played. Neighbors is an excellent young winger but his nearly 20% shooting won’t transfer every year. Schneider doesn’t look like anything other than a depth defender.

Lots of good Canadian players like usual and if Q and Laf continue to grow, that’s a great bonus. But MONSTER draft? Not sure about that.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm sorry but I just don't see a monster draft here because I do not see much star potential.
Laf will be a decent 2nd line winger who will regularly pot in 25-30 goals a year. Byfield could end up being a ppg player but that's if all things go well (in terms of supporting cast as he really isn't a play driver). Jarvis has been good, relative to where he was picked but he isn't going to be an elite talent. The best players out of this draft will be (and are) Stutzle, a German, and Sanderson, an American.
Yes, this draft has produced some solid players for Canada but nothing really high end and certainly not at a "monster level".
^^ You're wrong on every player you mentioned. ^^

Also, where did I say "monster level"? If you guys are going to push back and quote me, please do so accurately.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Insidefi

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Some very good results for many of those guys this year but also some setbacks.

I think probably too many elaborate adjectives being thrown around to try and make the point…Mercer has taken a step back this year. Barron is not only not amazing, he’s not even an NHLer right now. Drysdale has looked rusty when he’s played. Neighbors is an excellent young winger but his nearly 20% shooting won’t transfer every year. Schneider doesn’t look like anything other than a depth defender.

Lots of good Canadian players like usual and if Q and Laf continue to grow, that’s a great bonus. But MONSTER draft? Not sure about that.
Where did I say Barron was "amazing"? I guess I'm not the only one throwing around adjectives.

Mercer has been terrific in the 2nd half of the season - he was ice cold for the first 3rd of the season.

Re : "Drysdale has looked rusty when he’s played."

He's been hurt. That's not expected?

Where did I say "MONSTER"? Again, I guess I'm not the only one throwing around adjectives - you even added caps to something I did NOT say. How come you stopped short of adding exclamation marks? If you're going to misquote me, do it right. ;)

I stand by what I said. It's an amazing draft for Canada and it will only get better and pay dividends for the next decade.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
??? Who is Will Cuylie?

I wrote William Cuylle who's played 73 games with the Rangers. Not bad for a kid who just turned 22.

Seems fairly mediocre if you're trying to claim a draft was a huge success. Especially considering he was a second-round pick.

Would be impressive if he were a sixth or seventh rounder. Not a guy I would think of if I wanted to promote a draft being a "beast".

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Seems fairly mediocre if you're trying to claim a draft was a huge success. Especially considering he was a second-round pick.

Would be impressive if he were a sixth or seventh rounder. Not a guy I would think of if I wanted to promote a draft being a "beast".
LOL. He's one player I mentioned on a list of ~20.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
^^ You're wrong on every player you mentioned. ^^

Also, where did I say "monster level"? If you guys are going to push back and quote me, please do so accurately.

Sorry, I simply equated beast with monster. We may disagree and that is fine but I stand by what I wrote, there are some quality players here but there will be no elite level players from Canada out of the 2020 draft.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sorry, I simply equated beast with monster. We may disagree and that is fine but I stand by what I wrote, there are some quality players here but there will be no elite level players from Canada out of the 2020 draft.
No worries. :) I disagree and time will tell.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Personally I think the three best players are Stutzle, Sanderson and Raymond, a German, American and Swede. The Canadians are fine and there's a lot that will play in the NHL for a long time but I don't necessarily see any superstars.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
While he may perhaps never be a "superstar", someone like Byfield especially could be very useful for Team Canada in a best-on-best tournament with his speed, size and forechecking ability. Team Canada isn't going to stack their roster with 12 superstars at forward, so when filling out the roster it will be important to select players that have skillsets that can complement the other forwards and perhaps add something unique or valuable to the group, especially at the depth positions.

I think someone like Byfield, who is now almost exclusively playing the wing, has a good shot at filling such a role.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
While he may perhaps never be a "superstar", someone like Byfield especially could be very useful for Team Canada in a best-on-best tournament with his speed, size and forechecking ability. Team Canada isn't going to stack their roster with 12 superstars at forward, so when filling out the roster it will be important to select players that have skillsets that can complement the other forwards and perhaps add something unique or valuable to the group, especially at the depth positions.

I think someone like Byfield, who is now almost exclusively playing the wing, has a good shot at filling such a role.
Well said.

Personally I think the three best players are Stutzle, Sanderson and Raymond, a German, American and Swede. The Canadians are fine and there's a lot that will play in the NHL for a long time but I don't necessarily see any superstars.
I'm SHOCKED YOU (of all posters) feel that way, WT. ;)

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafreniere is a first line winger right now.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Schneider doesn’t look like anything other than a depth defender.
Not so fast. That has changed this season.

He’s been one of our best defenseman this season. Has improved his ability to move the puck under pressure so much this season. The past few weeks he was playing second pair and doing great, and then captain dumb-dumb had to return to throw pucks in his own net. It’s not his fault that opportunity to advance hasn’t been there, but the top two guys at his position on the depth chart have both missed a few weeks this season, and he did very well with increased responsibility. You won’t find many Rangers fans who don’t want him in our top four literally right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad