WJC: 2020 IIHF WM U20 D1A in Minsk, BELARUS (9.12 - 15.12 2019)

Who will promote to the WJC top division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I call this a good start lol. Totally expected videoreview on second goal for whatever reason.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Feeling sorry for the Slovenian kids to be honest.

It's easy to get some bad habits in games like these, so hopefully they will start to show some sort of resistance in the 2nd period

But now it's clear that Norway isn't that strong either after that 6-2. And Austria will probably beat Denmark in regulation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, it was obvious Slovenia is a step below the rest, Drozg single-handedly and quite miraculously carried them into promotion last year as is. Now they are one level higher and no Drozg anymore. So the Norwegian result was more or less in tune with what's expected. But now let's take a moment to consider Denmark only scored 1 goal to these guys. And it came on 5 on 3. Now that's pretty shocking.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yeah, it was obvious Slovenia is a step below the rest, Drozg single-handedly and quite miraculously carried them into promotion last year as is. Now they are one level higher and no Drozg anymore. So the Norwegian result was more or less in tune with what's expected. But now let's take a moment to consider Denmark only scored 1 goal to these guys. And it came on 5 on 3. Now that's pretty shocking.
Yeah, that's pretty amazing. A bad year for the Danes I guess. But with all the luck they've had with really world class talent being produced out of a small player base, it's not really all that shocking either that their luck has turned. It never was sustainable.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's an interesting development to follow over the next 5 years or so.

Norway was kind of a poster boy for a country that was inevitably going to be overtaken by other countries (especially post-Soviet ones as they became richer and established some sort of functional development systems) as their performances over all the levels worsened. But come to think of it, Denmark also isn't doing much so it's entirely possible they will start slipping as well. All the big talents they have produced are sons of their best coaches, that isn't exactly the indication of the program doing super well. They might just be another Norway case.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Ironically a bit of an underwhelming victory because they had so many chances to score early and didn't cash in, and then tuned out as soon as the victory looked secure.

I'm sure there's some mathematical possibility of promotion if we beat Latvia tomorrow, but I'm not worried about that. This is still a 1 line team. Line 1 has 9 goals for and no goals against. The other lines have 3 goals for and 8 goals against.

The whole Peeters goal #1 play was gorgeous though. Huber got the loose puck, dangled, and then made a backhand pass to Peeters who did the 180 and dangled the goalie.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Ironically a bit of an underwhelming victory because they had so many chances to score early and didn't cash in, and then tuned out as soon as the victory looked secure.

I'm sure there's some mathematical possibility of promotion if we beat Latvia tomorrow, but I'm not worried about that. This is still a 1 line team. Line 1 has 9 goals for and no goals against. The other lines have 3 goals for and 8 goals against.

The whole Peeters goal #1 play was gorgeous though. Huber got the loose puck, dangled, and then made a backhand pass to Peeters who did the 180 and dangled the goalie.
That line will probably score a couple against us tomorrow too. We can easily lose points to you guys. I've seen all 3 games and you have less depth and a little more chaotic moments and defensive lapses, but overall the difference isn't all that great.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Belarus has to hope Latvia loses to Austria in regulation. Austria needs to win against Latvia and hope Belarus loses to somebody at least in OT/SO.

kunabai

Aug 10, 2011
Minsk
oh now that's funny.
nothing has changed so far. dudik doesn't change lines which are clearly not working, tolopilo continues to let in softies.

so we were wrong that promotion game was on tuesday, it clearly is tomorrow.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't know if it's just my take but the fact this Belarussian team is playing at home and being so hyped up every 5 minutes made them overburnt and mentally fragile. Those terrible turnovers every game, soft goals, solo 1 vs 5 raids. It's almost like telling young human beings the whole country expect them to win during every break doesn't help.

These O-zone penalties in the 3rd as well now...

I mean this is just cringe. There are 6.32 left in the game and "supportive words" from Yeryomenko who is being interviewed is "It's a very important game so we are waiting til the end. We need this win." Yeah no shit Sherlock, they know it.

Feels like the best play every Belarussian has at the moment is go wide and stickhandle the puck into the net through everyone. Has never worked but you can try it the 200th time, maybe it does.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Garbage performance by Belarus. Feel bad for the guys, they obviously tried their hardest but at the same time were put into a terrible environment to play in. Coaching was questionable as well, to say the least. All in all, it feels like it's becoming a yearly thing to expect Belarus to win this division and for them to eventually not do it.

Reactions: kunabai

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Wow. Does one even dare to dream?

That line will probably score a couple against us tomorrow too. We can easily lose points to you guys. I've seen all 3 games and you have less depth and a little more chaotic moments and defensive lapses, but overall the difference isn't all that great.
Thanks for the encouragement. You probably believe in us more than I do. Good luck tomorrow.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Norway with a nice OT win vs Belarus today. I think that was the final nail in the coffin for Belarus, no way they will get promoted now. Latvia will get promoted for sure.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Norway with a nice OT win vs Belarus today. I think that was the final nail in the coffin for Belarus, no way they will get promoted now. Latvia will get promoted for sure.
I find it funny that even if Latvia beats Austria in regulation, Norway can still win the tournament. And it is testament to what I wrote here before the tournament: the differences between these teams are not that big and there are 5 decent squads in the tournament with Denmark being closer to Slovenia than the other 4.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Latvia beat us 9-2 in pre-tourney friendlies. They're a nightmare matchup. We have no speed advantage against Latvia like we did against Belarus, Norway, and Denmark. On top of that, they're bigger. They're more skilled. And they've done it before. Latvia has only given up 3 goals this tournament. That's one goal a game. And they're averaging 5 goals a game.

Part of me thinks this is just going to be a huge blowout and it'll be over before the first period ends. I mean, every single player on our team will have to put up the best performance I've seen them put up to even give us a chance in this one. Part of me wants a miracle just because I know how much it would mean to the boys.

The UK election was tonight. A law school final tomorrow morning. But this is what's keeping me up tonight. 30 minutes til go time. Immer...wieder...

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
This game shouldn't be 1-1. Latvia has been the better team by a mile and a half. Only a couple lucky bounces keeping us in the game.

On top of that, there was a really confusing call. Ansons tripped Baumi and in the ensuing scrum, Nickl pushed Polcs and somehow Polcs ended up in the penalty box but Nickl out on the ice, which led to the only goal.

Baumgartner is really struggling out there. Latvia is too fast for him to run away from. Huber is winning battles for pucks but it's not mattering because defensemen are too afraid to pinch (and they should be). Peeters is struggling to keep up with the other two handling the puck. Latvia isn't giving him time and space to make decisions. The other lines have just done a good enough job to mostly keep the puck out of the net.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Austrians sure know how to milk this ref for a favorable call, but how easy our players fall for that is the real concern. Need to smarten up or this will end in tears (my tears).

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This is quite possibly the softest refereeing I've ever seen in hockey.

We've spent most of the time on the PK, you can't win like that

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
All these penalties are pretty borderline. I suppose by the book they are penalties, but they're very close. If I was a latvian I would be pretty irate. But I think this may actually be a blessing in disguise for Latvia, because our top lines played almost the entire second. They may be close to their last legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad