Miami, FL
tenor.gif

Reactions: Blackjack

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Lol John Quenneville was considered a "top 5" prospect 2 years ago
Quenneville actually peaked as a prospect in his first season in the AHL (D+3) in 2016-17. He had 46 points in 56 games as a rookie, that’s good enough to be hopeful after JQ did very little in juniors scoring wise until he was 19. His first call up stats in 16-17, 12GP 1G 2A 3P, are less barren than the lone goal in his next 30 NHL games so we could be hopeful there as well. Quenneville didn’t get a chance to fail in the NHL in 17-18 and his AHL stats were still strong so his ranking made sense.

Blackwood had a terrible 2017-18 and plunged down the ranking as a result so that helped Quenneville, and others, could jump up a slot as well.

McLeod at 2nd is probably more sad in retrospect but that ranking makes sense too. He had a better D+1 year than Quenneville and was injured for part of D+2. McLeod didn’t start to disappoint until he went pro in 2018-19.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You’ll be able to look back at this list in 2 years and laugh at one of the current top 5 prospects. That’s how it works, they don’t all pan out...

I think Joey Anderson is good comparison value wise today where Quenneville was 2 years ago, if not viewed as a better prospect than JQ was. Even so, Joey would not be a top 5 prospect today in the organization. It's more of a testament to how much better our prospect pool is currently.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Quenneville actually peaked as a prospect in his first season in the AHL (D+3) in 2016-17. He had 46 points in 56 games as a rookie, that’s good enough to be hopeful after JQ did very little in juniors scoring wise until he was 19. His first call up stats in 16-17, 12GP 1G 2A 3P, are less barren than the lone goal in his next 30 NHL games so we could be hopeful there as well. Quenneville didn’t get a chance to fail in the NHL in 17-18 and his AHL stats were still strong so his ranking made sense.

Blackwood had a terrible 2017-18 and plunged down the ranking as a result so that helped Quenneville, and others, could jump up a slot as well.

McLeod at 2nd is probably more sad in retrospect but that ranking makes sense too. He had a better D+1 year than Quenneville and was injured for part of D+2. McLeod didn’t start to disappoint until he went pro in 2018-19.

I don't think 2018 John Quenneville would even be top 10 in today's current list of prospects.

Reactions: HBK27

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So the top 6 is going to be our 3 first rounders, two guys we just traded for and Smith? Says to me the prospect pool was pretty questionable until a couple of months ago.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So the top 6 is going to be our 3 first rounders, two guys we just traded for and Smith? Says to me the prospect pool was pretty questionable until a couple of months ago.
The top end of our pool was always in question, thus this happens (I wasnt here for previous results)

However the depth of our pool is extremely understated and, quite easily, top-3 in the league from my understanding

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
No this is bait...Cal Makar a rookie defenseman scored nearly as much as our 2 #1OA's this season.

50 for Makar and 57 for Hughes and Nico combined

Quinn Hughes another rookie D-man was even closer with 53 points -

2 rookie D-men out pacing our two #1's is gut-wrenching
OIP.s8rjT-IvwMFlukVlHj4isQHaFr

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I voted Daws even though I stink at scouting goalies. I've heard great things from people who are much better than I am at judging young netminders, so call it a gut pick.

P.S.
If Walsh is on the list, McCarthy should be too. McCarthy has at least an equal claim as the Devils top RD prospect. In Walsh's freshman NCAA campaign he had 20 points and was very inconsistent defensively. In McCarthy's freshman year he scored 12 points and was rock solid in his own zone.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Says to me the prospect pool was pretty questionable until a couple of months ago.

I actually sort of agree- once again, because we don't have uniform criteria of who belongs on the list (floor? ceiling? nhl readiness? etc) the top 5 spots are usually filled with the shiniest new draft picks everybody is excited about. but i don't think that means the prospect pool was questionable until a few months ago

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think Joey Anderson is good comparison value wise today where Quenneville was 2 years ago, if not viewed as a better prospect than JQ was. Even so, Joey would not be a top 5 prospect today in the organization. It's more of a testament to how much better our prospect pool is currently.
It’s also a testament to having multiple 1st round picks this year and trading for Foote and Bahl.

Anderson is a much better prospect this year than Quenneville was in his D+4 year in 2018 because Anderson has shown he’s at worst a bottom six NHL forward with 13 points in 52 games and solid defense play in the NHL in his first two years as a pro.

...That’s how this always works for every team always? The players on the top of this prospect list, and every other, is dominated by players selected from where the high end talent is found which the 1st round and, statistically speaking, the front end of the 2nd round. (The strength of the draft year obviously determines how much high talent is there to be found.)

Since Blackwood, McLeod and Boqvist don’t qualify anymore, the only player we drafted higher than Bahl (2019, 55) is Bastian (2016, 41). Bahl is also one of the main pieces of Hall trade so his stock has only risen since the draft.

I quite like our scouting staff and they found some intriguing picks when Shero has traded back for more ammo, such as when they turned the 2019 2nd (55) we got for Boyle from Nashville into Vukojevic taken in the 3rd (82), MCarthy in the 4th (111) and Gritsyuk in the 5th (129).

That said, thanks to Ray’s aversion to picking in the 2nd round, our 2nd pick in 2019 was 61 and in 2018 it was 110, and honestly good drafting can only get you so far with later picks. We desperately needed multiple shots at high end talent like we got in this draft. I’d have preferred it happened earlier and over multiple drafts but this is how it worked out for us for various reasons.

Also the 2019 draft class, which is large and pretty intriguing, didn’t get to play a full D+1 season and 7 players are still cooling their heels because of COVID. They are harder to judge with the truncated season. Hopefully their development doesn’t take too much of hit and they can get some meaningful hockey in this season.

We can rehash the Castron draft classes yet again but I feel like we were all just on that ride.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It’s also a testament to having multiple 1st round picks this year and trading for Foote and Bahl.
you are not wrong. but at least it looks like they did not squander every pick this time - by trading it for a washed up veteran or an out of the blue picked prospect.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad