Aarne Talvitie
Mikhail Maltsev
Jaromir Pytlik
Gilles Senn

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i'm just blindly voting at this point, who the hell knows? add...um...shlaine?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
i'm just blindly voting at this point, who the hell knows? add...um...shlaine?
I know we just added Jacobs, but he was reportedly the best D in Bing last year, so I'm surprised it took so long for him to make the poll. He may have a shot at 7th D in the NHL.

Zetterlund looked promising, but had injury issues, so he's a viable option for me. Pakkila and Pasic have both surprised and may have an outside shot at the NHL some day. Vukojevic probably has as good of a shot as any of our other prospective shutdown D we drafted last year to eventually make the NHL. It's like we just drafted a bunch and will see what sticks to the wall, and he's a definite possibility.

I'm really not sure of any of the other guys.

My odds-on favorite for biggest impact is Ripshot43 though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I know we just added Jacobs, but he was reportedly the best D in Bing last year, so I'm surprised it took so long for him to make the poll. He may have a shot at 7th D in the NHL.

Zetterlund looked promising, but had injury issues, so he's a viable option for me. Pakkila and Pasic have both surprised and may have an outside shot at the NHL some day. Vukojevic probably has as good of a shot as any of our other prospective shutdown D we drafted last year to eventually make the NHL. It's like we just drafted a bunch and will see what sticks to the wall, and he's a definite possibility.

I'm really not sure of any of the other guys.

My odds-on favorite for biggest impact is Ripshot43 though.

i've kinda given up on ripshot, tbh. he has the tools but he can't seem to put it all together. maybe a different moderator can bring out the best in him though, i don't know.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Did something happen to Vukojevic last year? I thought he had a similar year to Okhotyuk and McCarthy but here he is looking at a 26/27 spot where those guys are at 15/16.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Add Baumgartner.

I voted Pasic but could see voting for Studenic or Zetterlund, or even Edwards, Vukojevic or Schnarr. They’re getting bunched up as gets hard to quantify their intriguing qualities. I could of vote for someone else easily in a few hours.

I assume Guadana’s scouting of Zaitsev is spot on but Dynamo Moskva is using him in a completely defensive role to point where it’s likely hard for the Devils to gauge if he can be offensively productive in the NHL. It’s hard to think of a purely defensive defenseman that a NHL team has brought over from the KHL with similarly meager stats, other than maybe Arizona’s Ilya Lyubushkin.

The Devils lose Zaitsev’s rights on July 1st 2021, (unless that shifts with Free Agency to July 28th) so a decision will be made relatively soon [Edit: Cap Friendly link actually says we have have Zaitsev’s rights indefinitely, but having Vukojevic’s deadline on my brain, I misinformed everyone. My apologies.]

Vukojevic’s rights end in 2021 (I’m not sure why, just going by Cap Friendly’s reserve list here) and the dwindling OHL season will make his future harder to decide but he is competition for a spot. I guess there isn’t any other unsigned defensemen who are also candidates for contract assuming Hellickson goes unsigned and McCarthy spends another year in college. (Maybe Case gets signed, I’m not making a firm prediction here but the Devils have until 2023 to decide with him.)

Edit: Corrected dumb mistake about Zaitsev’s right.
New Jersey Devils Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Went Vukojevic.

It was only a year ago that NJ took him 12 spots after Misyul (10th ranked player in our prospect rankings), 2 spots after Clarke (17th ranked, despite only playing 16 games last season) and ahead of Thompson (7th), McCarthy (16th), Gritsyuk (18th), and Moynihan (19th).

I know a few of these players had really good seasons that would've bumped them up the rankings. Appears that Vukojevic had a solid season as well, but we just didn't hear a lot about him since he's a defensive defenseman. I would think he's still in the same ballpark as some of these other players he was drafted ahead of or near.

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Add Baumgartner.

I voted Pasic but could see voting for Studenic or Zetterlund, or even Edwards, Vukojevic or Schnarr. They’re getting bunched up as gets hard to quantify their intriguing qualities. I could of vote for someone else easily in a few hours.

I assume Guadana’s scouting of Zaitsev is spot on but Dynamo Moskva is using him in a completely defensive role to point where it’s likely hard for the Devils to gauge if he can be offensively productive in the NHL. It’s hard to think of a purely defensive defenseman that a NHL team has brought over from the KHL with similarly meager stats, other than maybe Arizona’s Ilya Lyubushkin.

The Devils lose Zaitsev’s rights on July 1st 2021, (unless that shifts with Free Agency to July 28th) so a decision will be made relatively soon. Vukojevic’s rights also end in 2021 (I’m not sure why, just going by Cap Friendly’s reserve list here) and the dwindling OHL season will make his future harder to decide but he is competition for a spot. I guess there isn’t any other unsigned defensemen who are also candidates for contract assuming Hellickson goes unsigned and McCarthy spends another year in college. (Maybe Case gets signed, I’m not making a firm prediction here but the Devils have until 2023 to decide with him.)

New Jersey Devils Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I always get this wrong, it took Pronman correcting me on Twitter, but the Devils do not lose Zaitsev's rights until he's 27, as the KHL and NHL do not have a transfer agreement. This is how Tampa was able to trade Gusev's rights to Vegas.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I always get this wrong, it took Pronman correcting me on Twitter, but the Devils do not lose Zaitsev's rights until he's 27, as the KHL and NHL do not have a transfer agreement. This is how Tampa was able to trade Gusev's rights to Vegas.

Yes, and I’m an idiot (even more than usual) because it actually said just that in the Cap Friendly link I provided. So much thanks for catching that and correcting me. It was a weird brain fart too since I know that about Russian prospects. Woof.

I also forgot that Elite Prospects lists how long players are under contract and shows Zaitsev only under contract for 2020-21. I’m probably over thinking this, if he doesn’t extend with the KHL then he’s presumably willing to give it a go in North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad