GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The thing about these mock expansion drafts is no one, especially who makes them, knows enough about ALL the teams to protect the right players.

Very stupidly.
"Fool me once: shame on you. Stick a gun to my head: it's a different discussion."

For all the rumbling about how they learned from the Vegas XD debacle, all that got rendered moot with teams needing to dump with the flat cap. The Knights also provided a handy yardstick for asks to take on players.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The thing about these mock expansion drafts is no one, especially who makes them, knows enough about ALL the teams to protect the right players.
Yeah even those that know a bit about every team don't know enough for that kind of stuff.

The Hockey Guy on Youtube mock expansion draft is a good example of that:

(In blue are the players exposed in his opinion). Looks like he didn't know that Saad, Cole and Calvert will be UFA.

gmNWtGX.png

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

And in the real draft, so many selections are based on what other moves Seattle makes.

For instance, I'd take Graves over Compher right now in a vacuum, but maybe Seattle takes 2-3 other good defenseman better than Graves, and now they have to make sure they select enough forwards, so maybe they take Compher over Graves.

Same thing applies to forwards and goalies too. Maybe they pass on some guys because they've selected some good players at those positions already.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah even those that know a bit about every team don't know enough for that kind of stuff.

The Hockey Guy on Youtube mock expansion draft is a good example of that:

(In blue are the players exposed in his opinion). Looks like he didn't know that Saad, Cole and Calvert will be UFA.

gmNWtGX.png

He also protects Compher. That's even more absurd.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe I'm lost here, but forwards and D are different matters. The D is difficult to predict. If EJ doesn't waive, what happens?

You go 8 and lose Burakovsky with only one year left, since they're unlikely to be able to afford to resign him. Toews will have three years left at a good price and they just traded for him.

MacK
Mikko
Landy
Kadri

EJ
Makar
Girard
Toews

Then you replace Burky with another winger via UFA or a deadline deal.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You go 8 and lose Burakovsky with only one year left, since they're unlikely to be able to afford to resign him. Toews will have three years left at a good price and they just traded for him.

MacK
Mikko
Landy
Kadri

EJ
Makar
Girard
Toews

Then you replace Burky with another winger via UFA or a deadline deal.

I like this, but with Landy they should agree to a handshake deal and add space for Bura

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like this, but with Landy they should agree to a handshake deal and add space for Bura

And if they can get Landy to make a handshake deal and EJ to waive, they can protect four MORE forwards than the big four I listed if they want.

MacK
Mikko
Kadri
Burakovsky
Donskoi
Compher
Nichuskin

Makar
Girard
Toews

Landy (unsigned)
EJ (waived and goes unclaimed)

It's not a problem if they lose someone like Compher or Donskoi because they would probably like to shed one of their salaries anyway, but instead of losing them for free, they may be able to pick up some assets from a team looking to replace someone they lost to expansion.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They'll find a way to not protect EJ but that hypothetical handshake deal thing with Landy isn't realistic at all.
This. Never going to happen. It's a pure video game move that sounds good on paper but is so wildly unrealistic in he real world I don't ever see a team taking that completely unnecessary risk.

On the balance, would you rather just lose Compher or Graves for nothing, or POTENTIALLY lose your captain and first line winger for nothing? Just take the L and move on, we're losing a player no matter what, no reason to take that risk just to protect a random third liner instead.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
They better not be protecting EJ. Even a buyout looks fairly decent, 2M x 4 years.

The Avs will have cap issues every single season going forward. However, we will know how bad it is once Makar and Landeskog re-sign. Personally I expect the worst with Landy and that contract will become an anchor that everyone wants to dissapear sooner than later.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I'm not necessarily saying it's the right move here, but if there was one player you could take that risk for, I'd assume it'd be Landy. He's our f***ing captain and I can't see any situation where he would actually want to leave. Obviously they'd have to feel pretty confident before making a move like that but I don't think it's that far of a reach.

Reactions: Raucherhusten

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah the only player I’d feel comfortable leaving a UFA to bypass would be Landy. He’s had his chances to leave where no one would’ve blamed him but he wanted to say. I’m not really sure what would tempt him to leave now when we’re one of the best teams in the league.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Yeah the only player I’d feel comfortable leaving a UFA to bypass would be Landy. He’s had his chances to leave where no one would’ve blamed him but he wanted to say. I’m not really sure what would tempt him to leave now when we’re one of the best teams in the league.

Especially if we say, win the cup this year or get even further than the last two years, he's not going to want to go. He's our captain, he's going to get paid and by all accounts loves it here and the team.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
IMO, Joe will be sending prospects and/or picks to Seattle and have them take a guy of his choosing, and keep the guys he wants. It's the only answer that makes sense.
So lose more assets on top of the asset that you already have to give up? Sakic, I believe, for the most part has set this up really well. He has internal options at both forward and defence that can (hopefully) replace whoever is taken.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Hey I’d give up Compher and Graves to protect someone if that’s how things are going and Seattle has an interest in both of those players. Shedding $6.7 mil would go a long way helping our cap situation out.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad