OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
hope the distractions don’t add up and derail the culture of this 4 win roster.

Last year they were a 4 win roster with Shurmur. This year they have a year under the belt for Jones, an improved OL, and a likely an improvement at HC. They should be able to win 6 games.

Reactions: Maximus

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think committing the amount of money he wants to his position is going to be a bad idea regardless so I'm all for dealing him anyway. He also seems like a major whiner/headache who is constantly putting himself before the team. That said he still has two years left on his deal so if the right offer doesn't come up I'd just tell him two bad and if he wants to hold out for two years and kill his career by all means go ahead and do so.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’m ok with just cancelling sports forever

This Adams stuff is getting old fast. Does he really expect to get paid before Mahomes? Jets have the leverage - too bad he’s become a malcontent. Meanwhile, all I heard about for 3 years was his leadership. Maybe help the team make the playoffs first...

Dallas needs to overpay before I consider moving him to his preferred destination. Lamb and a 1st.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I think the Jets can get something real nice from this

Greggggggggggggg Williams still probably punching the air right now though lol

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He overrates how good he is and his importance to the team. Also he wasn't even a particularly great pick. The team did need a QB at the time and Mahomes and Watson went 4 and 6 picks after him.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I'm not sure Douglas blinks and trades him, I think the best hope would be a 1st and 3rd at this point. I don't think he brings back a Ramsey package since he's not a corner.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Adams is just trying to create leverage. He's actively trying to turn himself into a pain in the ass to either get a new deal or a trade. I don't think he actually cares which.

If someone makes a great offer, f*** him, move him out.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I can see absolutely no reason to give Adams a contract with two years left on his deal nor do I understand why he thinks he should get one when better players from his draft class have not yet

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can see absolutely no reason to give Adams a contract with two years left on his deal nor do I understand why he thinks he should get one when better players from his draft class have not yet
Yeah they have this year and next and could then franchise him. Absolutely no reason to do it now. He's been a little bitch for a while now. I know he's just trying to get his, which is fine as he could mangle his leg Week One and never be the same, but he doesn't have much leverage.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Last year they were a 4 win roster with Shurmur. This year they have a year under the belt for Jones, an improved OL, and a likely an improvement at HC. They should be able to win 6 games.

Funny but I expect my Jets to be quite a bit better than last year's 7-9 team as they, at least on paper look to have improved all over especially their O-Line, which was horrible last year. and which was there biggest weakness. That said, when I look at this years much much harder schedule, even with a much improved team, if the Jets win 6-7 games I'd consider it a much better season...go figure...lol

One caveat and what will be really interesting is, seeing that supposedly there won't be fans in the stadiums, one would think that when the Jets for example play in Seattle and at KC, in a normal season, one would think the Jets had no shot at all to win there....right?

But this won't be a normal season at least this year it won't be. So, no fans in Seattle or KC which takes away both those teams huge home field advantages, one would think that the Jets would have a much better chance to win those games. I mean they'll still be bigtime underdogs but instead of being 12-14 point dogs by Vegas, I'd guess at this very moment in time, that Vegas would make them 7-8 point dogs instead.

The same shit will happen with the Gmen as they'll now have a better chance to win at opposing teams stadiums this season than in a normal one with no fans in the stands.

It's going to be very very interesting and I'm fascinated to see how this no fans in the stands shit plays out. With our Rangers it will also be a huge factor seeing when we play Carolina, if it goes the full 5 games, who gives a shit if the Canes have the "home ice" advantage...right seeing that there is no home ice advantage....:nod:

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
This Adams stuff is getting old fast. Does he really expect to get paid before Mahomes? Jets have the leverage - too bad he’s become a malcontent. Meanwhile, all I heard about for 3 years was his leadership. Maybe help the team make the playoffs first...

Dallas needs to overpay before I consider moving him to his preferred destination. Lamb and a 1st.

Here's the problem tho and I agree with you that the Jets have leverage with regards to Adams contract situation, in reality tho, Douglass now has no leverage at all with other teams in getting a huge package for Adams even if he's willing to accommodate him.

Seeing the other teams who would want him know that Adam doesn't want too go back to the Jets, these other teams like the Cowboys for example, will likely not be willing to give up as much as they might have had they thought that Adams still really wanted to go back to the Jets...ya follow?

I love Adams and want him back bigly and we'll see how this ends up playing out, but he's putting us in a really bad spot by doing this shit and indirectly it will hurt his chances of getting out of NY. He should have kept his big mouth shut, said to Douglass privately and not too the whole world that he wanted out and than Douglass would have had the leverage he needed with these other teams got get a huge package for him.

This BS once again shows why Douglass is a really good GM, cause he very likely knew something like this could happen and hence our Ashtyn Davis pick in the 3rd round as that pick was no accident...hmmmm....:)

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Here's the problem tho and I agree with you that the Jets have leverage with regards to Adams contract situation, in reality tho, Douglass now has no leverage at all with other teams in getting a huge package for Adams even if he's willing to accommodate him.

Seeing the other teams who would want him know that Adam doesn't want too go back to the Jets, these other teams like the Cowboys for example, will likely not be willing to give up as much as they might have had they thought that Adams still really wanted to go back to the Jets...ya follow?

I love Adams and want him back bigly and we'll see how this ends up playing out, but he's putting us in a really bad spot by doing this shit and indirectly it will hurt his chances of getting out of NY. He should have kept his big mouth shut, said to Douglass privately and not too the whole world that he wanted out and than Douglass would have had the leverage he needed with these other teams got get a huge package for him.

This BS once again shows why Douglass is a really good GM, cause he very likely knew something like this could happen and hence our Ashtyn Davis pick in the 3rd round as that pick was no accident...hmmmm....:)

I follow what your saying. It’s certainly possible that it limits the offers for him, but if you have 3-4 teams making offers to compete with each other then maybe it doesn’t. Adams is a star. Jalen Ramsey was obviously openly campaigning to leave amongst other shenanigans and the Jags still got back two 1’s and a 4th. I don’t want to trade him but this act is tiring. I don’t blame a guy for trying to get paid, but you can go overboard... I’m holding him unless I feel like I’m getting a Kings ransom. If Adams is serious about moving then I’d explain to him that he’d better keep his mouth shut bc if if I’m not getting the offer I’m looking for then he’s staying.

I thought the same thing in regards to the Davis pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
https://nypost.com/2020/06/22/giants-give-season-ticket-holders-a-2020-break/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Giants are giving their season ticket holders the option of not purchasing this year.

Any other season ticket holder have any idea what they’re going to do? I think it’s likely that even if they do play games there won’t be fans but who knows what will happen in 3 months.
I decided to opt out for the season for a few reasons: 1) Not sure about the whole COVID thing 2) Not sure how easy it would be to sell tickets for games I wouldn't go to and 3) Not sure how good the team will be this season.

So I plan to hit pause on my season tickets and start again in 2021.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Has Goodell and the NFL officially said there will be no fans this season? I haven't seen that kind of announcement and so maybe there will be stadiums permitted to have some fans there. Maybe at Met Life, instead of 80,000 fans, maybe they let 25,000 in the stadium with all the social distancing type procedures in place.

I dunno, I'm just spit balling wondering if this could be doable.

Reactions: FultonReed

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Has Goodell and the NFL officially said there will be no fans this season? I haven't seen that kind of announcement and so maybe there will be stadiums permitted to have some fans there. Maybe at Met Life, instead of 80,000 fans, maybe they let 25,000 in the stadium with all the social distancing type procedures in place.

I dunno, I'm just spit balling wondering if this could be doable.

Nascar just had 3k at Talladega, so I don't see why 25-35% cap isn't doable

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Nascar just had 3k at Talladega, so I don't see why 25-35% cap isn't doable

Once people are in the seats it would be doable. The common areas are the issue. I’ve seen some European countries basically have seatings where you’re told to come inside by section.

bathrooms and concessions would be a challenge.

Reactions: FultonReed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad