Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Playoff First Round Edition

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
All I'm saying is - which option gets the NJ Devils to the stanley cup ?

Option 1 - Keeping Palmieri and Gusev and then they're either gone or extremly overpaid by the time this team is actually competing for the cup in 4-6 years?

Or

Option 2 - You sell high on them now and gain a 1st round pick for each of them and you have 5 first round picks in this years draft. And those 5 first round picks will be 23 years old when the Devils are competing for the cup.

Answer seems pretty clear to me.
Or those picks bust out and we continue in mediocrity for a few years, where most of our fanbase continues to bitch and moan - your argument seems a bit strawman

I see the value in selling, I do, but you have to have a mix of moderate success and development. Losing continually while telling our core players it's part of the process when hopefuls could just end up becoming Mike McLeod or Pavel Zacha or Tedenby are not conducive for success, and isn't going to want to make people stay

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
That's why you sign Andy Greene, Brian Boyle, Ron Hainsey, Mark Boroweicki, and Erik Haula in the offseason. To be that role model, that mentor.
Those players don't scream success to me and aren't people I'd want jack to look up to

One extra thing of note is that ownership isn't going to buy a pure developmental approach. We need to have draw with our team where we can at least approach the playoff hunt. Edmonton didn't have to bc Canada is hockey crazy, but with our fanbase in NJ?

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So only 3 more picks than normal? and all of them being 3rd rounders? Doesn't seem very impressive to me.

so how many more picks should we have made? three? five? You're going to sit there and tell me with a straight face that trades like Palmieri and Gusev were bad because we should have had an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick here or there?

Sorry, we totally disagree. As has been mentioned, we are where we are because of the dearth of talent from the final years of Lou.

You sign players. the Haula's, Namestnikov's, Granlund's, Fast's of the world for this offseason. Even sign Dadonov. I'd rather have Dadonov + whatever return you could get for Gusev than just Gusev.

That's why you sign Andy Greene, Brian Boyle, Ron Hainsey, Mark Boroweicki, and Erik Haula in the offseason. To be that role model, that mentor.

it doesn't work that way. Players have to want to play for your team too. They should be signing players to help add to the core not signing them with the hopes of trading them in 6 months

FIVE or SIX years? Do you really think that you can know whats going to happen to this team in SIX years? I mean come on. The team that will be iced in ~4 months is going to look supremely different than the one we finished the season with and you're claiming to know what it will look like in half a decade? COme on.

The Devils could very well be a playoff team next year should a few things here or there fall right. This 5 or 6 years away crap is just baseless.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not against trading any veteran so long as there is a plan in place. I don’t think you expect NJ to sign both Palms and Gusev to extensions. To my eyes, any vets NJ keeps need to be very competitive. Quiet professionalism like Zajac and Greene and Lovejoy is nice but some actual emotion and intensity helps also.

If it was my choice I’d pay Coleman like a second liner to play on the third line in NJ when he hits UFA. A guy like that and a Zajac signed to a short extension would be fine in the mentor roles. The other vets need to pull their weight and play well. Mediocre vets that eat well and get their sleep and exercise and play meh are better than those that don’t but somebody has to play well for the team to have some success and to date the vets in NJ haven’t moved the needle for the most part. I like Plams and Gusev but are they core guys or complementary guys? If the latter that’s just not good enough to be worth locking them up long term.

Just my thoughts and I am open to any mix of players that works. The team can’t be front runners like TOR and TB of the past few years (TB may be turning the corner this playoff). Winning in thr NHL is generally difficult and requires effort and paying the price. Playing for the hockey equivalent of run and gun or fast breaks generally gets you to the EDM TOR TB level if you have enough talent but to have real success you have to push past that. I can’t stand sociopaths like Wilson and Marchand but they are both integral parts of winning teams. Maybe a better example would be Claude Lemieux. There’s some truth in the oversimplified adage about being hard to play against.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Complaining about the Palmieri trade is silly. We won out on value with it handily. When Palms was traded, his GM said he thought he would score 20 goals. He scored 30.

If we do end up having to move him, it will be for a larger return than what we gave up.

Last edited:

ASK7

Aug 11, 2020
I appreciate the numerous responses to the question posed last night on how to build this team going forward and specifically, what to do with these 3 1st round picks this year. I understand there are many ways to look at these last number of years and how Shero proceeded to rebuild this team. Also, Shero was definitely hampered by having very little to work with on the NHL level and in the minors when he took over in 2015. Additionally, we can agree that Hynes' philosophy and approach seems to have hindered the development of a number of young Devils and the prospects in the AHL. I think that aspect makes it actually harder for Fitzgerald to truly evaluate the current roster and the prospects in the NHL. Clearly, Binghamton was so much better after Hynes was let go and Dennehy was able to coach the way he wanted to coach. With Hynes here for the last 4+ years and then Nasreddine for the last 35 games coaching this team, Fitzgerald could wonder what Ruff could do with the young players such as Zacha, Boqvist, Bratt etc. After all, these players (and of course Hischier and Hughes) could flourish without the Hynes/Nasreddine stranglehold on the development. This unknown could force Fitzgerald to stand pat when it comes to moving any young players this offseason.

As for the discussion on the number of draft picks the Devils used vs. the picks used in trades for players during this rebuild, it is true that Shero did accumulate extra picks that in his mind, allowed him to use several of these extra picks in trades. However, the accumulation and use of draft picks is about probability when it comes to the draft. The more picks you have, the better the chance you have to hit on them. And for Shero to install Castron as his guy to run the draft, he had to have the confidence in him to make those selections. It is true that it is hard to know the true success of the 2017 and 2019 drafts at this point. 2016 was okay (hit on the later picks with Bratt and using Rykov and Davies in trades) but the McLeod and Bastian selections really hurt while Anderson is an unknown. Not having a 2nd and 3rd round selection in the 2018 draft does hurt but the addition of Bahl in the Hall trade helps as he was a 2018 2nd round draft pick. Look at the Rangers and the 2016 NHL draft. They did not have a 1st or 2nd round pick in that draft but through trades, they acquired Julien Gauthier, Brett Howden, Libor Hajek, Ryan Lindgren, Adam Fox and Rykov. Some of those players are part of their young foundation; we can hope that Janne Kuokkanen (2nd rounder in 2016) will be the same for the Devils. The lack of a prospect base, the concerns about the 2015 draft and the unknown about how succesful the 2016 and 2017 drafts were at the time made it that much harder to not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018. And part of the arguments for using those 2018, 2020 and 2021 draft picks is because they drafted 11 players in both 2017 and 2019. But the logic in that position is very dependent on whether they actually drafted well in those two years especially when they had very few prospects from the 2015 and earlier drafts.

So the question is the following: What current successful team(s) used draft picks in trades like the Devils did during their rebuilding phase? Clearly, it has not worked for the Devils to this point and that is why I have a difficult time advocating for the same approach going forward. If there is an example of a successful team doing it, it would provide support for that approach. I do not remember Colorado or Tampa doing that and they look pretty damn good. And the trading of Drouin for Sergachev does not count since that was basically prospect for prospect. I just do not believe in shortcuts in a rebuilding process.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
But just because the Devils were not a good team overall for the past ~4 years does not mean that certain trades were unsuccessful

I would say the Grabner trade was unsuccessful and probably the Mueller trade. What other "bigger" trade was unsuccessful?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Complaining about the Palmieri trade is silly. We won out on value with it handily. When Palms was traded, his GM said he thought he would score 20 goals. He scored 30.

If we do end up having to move him, it will be for a larger return than what we gave up.
I’m assuming everyone is complaining about the trades that followed because the key difference is we’ve already got 5 years of Palmieri in the prime of his career. You can’t get that quality of player from a UFA for the same money & we needed scorers desperately. There’s no reasonable criticism of that trade.

It’s harder to defend trading for 27 yo with two years of control. You’re paying a lot for a year & half of production & then you’re either signing a UFA or getting worse futures than what you gave up.

I think Ray was balancing trades & drafting well enough until 2017 though he didn’t draft nearly enough defensemen. Whether it was because he overestimated how good the the team was or wanted success to win Taylor Hall’s love or save his job, he got too aggressive & 2018 was something of a lost draft year other than Smith.

That’s bad, particularly because Ray didn’t draft enough defensemen before that. If you’re the Donner Party you want to give your hunters as many bullets as possible and make it a little easier for them with something more than late picks w/ an extra fifth. (I cannot vouch for the historical accuracy or functionality of that metaphor.)

He made the Gusev trade after the Subban one and even if he found it tempting it’s easy to argue that again he was being a little to loosey goosey with the 2nds of a bad team because traditionally bad teams don’t trade their 2nd 4 years in a row.

I’m probably repeating myself but all the these trades make it harder to trade the 1sts and the Gusev trade also killed our ability to make an offer sheet (admittedly a remote possibility at best) but it’s not the end of the world. We traded for 1sts, Goose is loads of fun and we needed a NHL defenseman. **shrug**

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Subban. At least so far.

Seconded. It was justifiable at the time but in hindsight that trade was a pretty big setback in the rebuild. Two very high 2nd round picks (not to mention a solid prospect in an area of need) is not ‘nothing’ as some people like to claim. Especially since PK has a 9 million dollar price tag and we were the only team willing to pay it

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Seconded. It was justifiable at the time but in hindsight that trade was a pretty big setback in the rebuild. Two very high 2nd round picks (not to mention a solid prospect in an area of need) is not ‘nothing’ as some people like to claim. Especially since PK has a 9 million dollar price tag and we were the only team willing to pay it
he's def a functioning 2nd pairing D, and santini and davies haven't done anything for the preds, so i'd say it's a wash so far. the 2nd rd picks suck, but we did get an nhl defenseman. i think the 8 month layoff and coaching change will be good for him, but the jury should still be out

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Santini was salary dump
he's def a functioning 2nd pairing D, and santini and davies haven't done anything for the preds, so i'd say it's a wash so far. the 2nd rd picks suck, but we did get an nhl defenseman. i think the 8 month layoff and coaching change will be good for him, but the jury should still be out
Santini was purely a salary dump Nashville was forced to take, he’s on a one way contract for 2y/1.4m and the Predators buried him in the AHL.

Losing Davies and Rykov was a setback because it’s very useful to have a couple 23 yr old prospects in the AHL who could potentially step in as young cheap bottom pairing defensemen. It’s obviously not exactly a catastrophic loss but it’s going to take a while before anyone we drafted other than Smith can help us out on defense.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
But just because the Devils were not a good team overall for the past ~4 years does not mean that certain trades were unsuccessful

I would say the Grabner trade was unsuccessful and probably the Mueller trade. What other "bigger" trade was unsuccessful?

I agree, they weren't unsuccessful. The Devils got good value out of those trades. However, my question is - Did those trades get the Devils any closer to winning a Stanley Cup? Like even remotely at all?

I'll tell you the things that have the Devils closer to winning a Stanley Cup. Drafting Severson in the 2nd round in 2012. Drafting Blackwood in the 2nd round in 2015. Drafting Bratt in the 6th round in 2016. Drafting Hischier 1st overall in 2017. Drafting Boqvist in the 2nd round in 2017. Drafting Ty Smith in the 1st round in 2018. Drafting Jack Hughes 1st overall in 2019. And drafting player X with the 7th overall pick, and hopefully player Y and Z with 18 and 20 overall. Could have been drafting Bo Horvat with the 9th pick in 2013 instead of Schneider trade. (Though I recall I wanted Hunter Shinkurak - barf)

What's the common theme here? Seems to me like it's DRAFTING. What happens when you trade 2nd and 3rd rounders away? You lessen your odds at DRAFTING a player who can hopefully become a core piece on a Stanley Cup winning team. So much about the draft is pure luck. The more picks you accumulate, the much better odds you'll have at landing a franchise cornerstone (or pillar as Fitzgerald calls them) in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round ala Kucherov/Gaudreau/Point/Guentzel and many, many others.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The 2020 draft is huge for the Devils -- if they can get three impact-type players at #7, #18 and #20 it would go a long way towards New Jersey competing for Stanley Cups in the future.
This seems to be out of character for you.
Let's get the team first closer to the PO bubble, let them become a PO contender, qualify for the PO, win around in the PO, before talking about SCs. The only thing going for the Devils currently is their cap situation and a potential foundation with Hischier, Hughes and MBW. There is a lot more of things, which can go wrong other than the three draft picks.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I agree, they weren't unsuccessful. The Devils got good value out of those trades. However, my question is - Did those trades get the Devils any closer to winning a Stanley Cup? Like even remotely at all?

I'll tell you the things that have the Devils closer to winning a Stanley Cup. Drafting Severson in the 2nd round in 2012. Drafting Blackwood in the 2nd round in 2015. Drafting Bratt in the 6th round in 2016. Drafting Hischier 1st overall in 2017. Drafting Boqvist in the 2nd round in 2017. Drafting Ty Smith in the 1st round in 2018. Drafting Jack Hughes 1st overall in 2019. And drafting player X with the 7th overall pick, and hopefully player Y and Z with 18 and 20 overall. Could have been drafting Bo Horvat with the 9th pick in 2013 instead of Schneider trade. (Though I recall I wanted Hunter Shinkurak - barf)

What's the common theme here? Seems to me like it's DRAFTING. What happens when you trade 2nd and 3rd rounders away? You lessen your odds at DRAFTING a player who can hopefully become a core piece on a Stanley Cup winning team. So much about the draft is pure luck. The more picks you accumulate, the much better odds you'll have at landing a franchise cornerstone (or pillar as Fitzgerald calls them) in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round ala Kucherov/Gaudreau/Point/Guentzel and many, many others.

would the Devils be better off right now with Palmieri and Gusev or a couple Joey Andersons and Nathian Bastians? I leave that up to you. Keep in mind that at MINIMUM, you'll be able to trade Palms and Gusev for probably a 1st round pick and more....more than you gave up for them.

I mean this board overrates the HELL out of draft picks. At some point you need actual legit contributing NHL players too. As I mentioned, the Devils had a LOT of draft picks over the past 4 years. I haven't calculated it out but I would imagine they're definitely in the top 3 or 5 in the NHL in total selections, with 9 more coming up in a few weeks (four in top 3 rounds). So at what point would it have made you happy?

Last edited:
Reactions: AfroThunder396

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Santini was salary dump

Santini was purely a salary dump Nashville was forced to take, he’s on a one way contract for 2y/1.4m and the Predators buried him in the AHL.

Losing Davies and Rykov was a setback because it’s very useful to have a couple 23 yr old prospects in the AHL who could potentially step in as young cheap bottom pairing defensemen. It’s obviously not exactly a catastrophic loss but it’s going to take a while before anyone we drafted other than Smith can help us out on defense.
we do have kevin bahl coming up soon (he's 20), so getting rid of davies wasn't too bad. we have enough guys who can handle bottom pairing. also, seems we made the right move w moving rykov, as it doesn't seem like he has plans to come over.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Rykov and Davies are decent prospects, but they were 5th and 7th rounders. Rykov likely wasn't going to sign in NJ

You know what's not luck? Established NHL players contributing today. Instead of chasing lottery tickets with a <1% chance of becoming a franchise player and a >70% chance of being Nathan Bastian or Brandon Gignac, why not get actual bonafide NHL talent to make your team better?

Some of you have such short term memory. You forget when Tuomo Ruutu was in the line up, when Jordin Tootoo was on the PP, when Matt D'Agostini was playing on the 1st line, when we picked Tom Kostopulous off waivers, when we brought in a 34 year old Gomez off the street and he was immediately our 3rd best forward, when Bobby Farnham was tied for 6th on the team in goals, when guys like DSP/Kalinin/Gio2/Prout/Quincey/Schlemko were getting regular shifts every night.

This franchise is in better shape than it was 5 years ago, it just objectively is. Not up for debate. Those teams were early 90's expansion team bad, propped up by Schneider and nothing else. Now we actually have assets and development and a base to build around.

All of the moves Shero made were celebrated at the time, now people want to go back with hindsight and say "actually, no, this specific prospect we probably wouldn't have drafted but I think we would have drafted because he later turned out to be good would actually be better than the 1st line forward we traded for".

Again, nearly all of the picks we moved were house money and we still drafted THIRTY FIVE (35) players over the past 4 years with another 9 coming in a few months. We have had plenty of lottery tickets.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
As someone who has reviewed the site for the last 15 - 20 years, I am motivated to post on here and pose a question to people like Stephen Toddives, Jason MacIsaac and other smart Devils fans. With the Devils having these three 1st round picks, I see many on here and other sites/twitter proposing all of these trades for players such as Dunn, Gadreau, Nylander etc. for one or both of the Arizona/Vancouver picks. The Devils have been rebuilidng for the previous 5 years and part of the reason the rebuild is still going in my opinion is the use of 2nd and 3rd round picks for young or established players (Palmieri, Bennett, Muller, Johannson, Grabner, Maroon, Subban, Gusev) instead of just focusing on drafting smart, focusing on player devlopment and building a team. Yes, the Palmieri deal worked and we can explain the moves for Grabner, Subban and Gusev because of the playoff chase and Hall's career timeline.

But now that Hall is gone, the timeline of this team's rebuild has to be centered around Hischier and Hughes' timeline. This team's prospect base is decent and has good depth but lacks elite prospects. And yes, I recognize that the early elevation of Hischier and Hughes to the NHL impacts that perception. Also, the player development has been an issue but the hope is that without Hynes and his philosophy/style removed from the organization, the development of these young players will be enhanced. But the use of these 2nd and 3rd round picks these last number of years in trades (along with not having their own 2nd rounder this year and their own 2nd rounder next year) has hurt the Devils and explains why they are still rebuilding. Of course, the rebuild would have been helped if the McLeod selection (0r if they had selected McAvoy) or the Zacha selection (regardless if it was Lou or Shero who made that pick - no need to relitigate that again) worked. We are now at this point with these three 1st round selections and many are advocating for using one or two of them in trades.

In my previous career as a baseball scout/consultant for two MLB teams, I have always been a strong proponent of building a team regardless of the sport through a robust prospect base with strong player development - develop many young players to create the base and then use duplicative players in trades to fill other needs. I do not see the Senators or Kings using high draft picks to acquire young players in their rebuild. And the Rangers cannot be used as an example because of numerous high picks they were able to acquire through the trade of veterans which allowed them to use some of these draft picks to acquire players such as Fox and Trouba at a good discount because these players had leverage and wanted to play for them.

The Devils have two things at their disposal: these draft picks and cap space. With the flat cap the next couple of years and cap space at a premium, I believe that the cap space alone should be used to acquire prospects and additional draft picks along with signing a veteran players like Brenden Dillon to help the young core. This team is several years away from being able to legitimately compete in the East against teams like the Tampa, Flyers, Hurricanes (and where the Rangers are going). Thus, I believe the focus should be on using these three 1st round picks in a strong draft and possibly getting lucky and selecting players of the talent like Barzal, McAvoy, Thomas or other players who have been selected in past drafts in that range. I cannot see how it makes sense for the Devils to trade for a player like Gadreau at his age, his contract expiring in 2 years (would you sign him to a long term extension then?) and lack of playoff production. So after this very long first entry, the question is:

How should the Devils proceed this offseason with these three 1st rounds picks and their cap space when the timeline of Hischier and Hughes is so early?
:clap:

Reactions: MikeyFlynn

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Well you cane to the right place. As the smartest of Devils fans I’ve always advocated building around the Lovejoy timeline. Sadly the world has yet to recognize my genius.
sounds like you haven't returned from your woodstock trip.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Terrific post here!

I've been saying quite often I'd like to see Fitzgerald weaponize the cap room in order to acquire more futures (draft picks, prospects) this off-season. Vulnerable teams:

Dallas: The Stars are pretty much up against the cap and need to re-sign some very good RFAs in Gurianov, Hintz and Faksa. The Devils might be able to get a commodity they need (big, physical, defensive-minded LD) in Jamie Oleksiak on the cheap, especially if they're also willing to take on the final year of the Blake Comeau deal.

St. Louis: The Blues have literally no shot of re-signing franchise layer Alex Pietrangelo as is, much less getting him and re-upping RFA Vince Dunn. Their chances would look much better if someone would take the last year of the Alex Steen deal off their hands ($5.75 million). You could even throw in the last year of the Jake Allen deal at $4.25 million. The Devils could absorb both of these, and also come away with the Blues' first round pick (likely #25 or #26 overall).

Vancouver: It's this simple -- if you're willing to absorb the last two seasons of that abhorrent Loui Eriksson contract ($6 million for two more seasons), you can pretty much name your price. My ask would start with LW prospect Nils Hoglander, and I'm also a big fan of RD prospect Jett Woo.

Chicago: No one is talking about the Blackhawks' cap woes, but they're at the threshold and have a couple of very good RFAs to sign in Kubalik and Strome. I'd be willing to take on the last year of the $6 million deal they owe Saad if they were willing to throw in their second-round pick (#46 overall).

Vegas: Another year, another cap crunch for Vegas -- who really wants Lehner back but has no money under the cap to ay him with. If the Knights were willing to trade Brayden McNabb and his $2.5 million per year deal, he's precisely the type of LD the Devils need to pair with Severson.

Boston: Right now, there's no money to re-sign impending RFA Jake DeBrusk, much less UFA Torrey Krug. They might be willing to sweeten the pot with a prospect like Beecher for a team willing to take on the final year of the David Krecji deal ($7.25 million) -- of course, this would depend on Krecji waiving his NTC.

Tampa: This is perhaps the best match of the bunch. They are cap strapped, and have several player who would interest the Devils and are due big raises as RFAs in Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak. They can't afford all three, and all three are good enough and young enough to fit as future core pieces for New Jersey going forward.
Dallas - Capfriendly has Heiskanen as LHS, but RD. Is this true? Oleksiak could be a good target
St. Louis - could be saved by LTIR money (Tarasenko, Steen)
Vancouver - Eriksson can submit a 15 team no trade list. I assume all teams with cap space, where he doesn't want to play will be on it.
Chicago - Shaw and Seabrook (grasp!) are currently on LTIR. If they remain there it opens up 10+m in cap space. Enough for Kubalik and Strome
Vegas - is really tight, but if they can't move Fleury for cap I see Lehner move on
Boston - Proposal: - Boston - Calgary :laugh:
Tampa Bay - it all depends, if Cirelli and/or Sergachev are willing to listen for offer sheets. Unlikely one of them would opt for NJD.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If there is a trade in place that makes sense from a value perspective and significantly upgrades the Devils roster, I would do it. I'm not sure what that trade is until it happens. One thing I would caution is making a rash trade before we get an idea where our prospects are. 8 mths is unheard of to get in better shape and improve weaknesses, we may trade for Dunn and someone like Bahl takes monumental steps in his development and outplays him in camp. This is unseen territory.
Value wise NJ has won the Hall, the Palmieri, the Johansson and the Subban trade, at the time of the trade. It didn't add up to anything. A trade does have to fit into the overall strategy and the strategy has to be sound. One or both of it wasn't for the Devils so far.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Value wise NJ has won the Hall, the Palmieri, the Johansson and the Subban trade, at the time of the trade. It didn't add up to anything. A trade does have to fit into the overall strategy and the strategy has to be sound. One or both of it wasn't for the Devils so far.
I believe it's clear that a different coach would have gotten different results. Hynes will be an assistant coach in 2 years, at best.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Value is what we needed. We had no assets. We were bankrupt. We signed like 5 guys out of camp because we didn't have enough players to ice a full team.

One more time - starting from scratch is not normally how rebuilds go. You usually have *something* to start with.

When the Leafs got Matthews they already had Nylander, Marner, Reilly, JVR, Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, etc.

When the Oilers got McDavid they had Hall, Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, and Yakupov (I know but still).

When NYR sent out their rebuilding letter to fans they had Zibanejad, DeAngelo, Georgiev, Shesterkin, Buchnevich, and Skjei IN ADDITION TO a battalion of trade fodder which netted multiple high picks and quality prospects - McDonagh, Nash, Hayes, Grabner, Zuccarello, Miller (they also could have sold Kreider and Yandle but didn't).

We had Larsson, Henrique, and Severson. The best assets we had to sell in Spring 2015 were 42 year old Jagr and 37 year old Zidlicky. In 2016 our biggest trading chips were guys we signed to PTOs in training camp.

Now we've actually cultivated a foundation to build off of. There are still a ways to go, but we have prospects and talent we were nowhere close to 5 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad