Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

To elaborate:
- Jake Sanderson - possibly BPA but Marek mentions how next year's draft is D heavy and Ottawa expects to be drafting high again in 2021 (I was curious if other teams might have the same strategy and lean for forwards this year)
- Jack Quinn - General lack of organizational depth at RW (I've read that they have interest in Tyson Foerster who might be available for their pick at #28)

-----

Friedman also mentions that the team could move one of the later firsts for immediate help which isn't too surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I could also see us move up a few spots from 18 if Quinn is available as @ASK7 mentioned. I could also see Quinn being a late riser this year, and wouldn't hate it at 7 if Drysdale-Sanderson-Rossi are gone 4-6. That said after those 3 my preference at 7 would be Holtz > Raymond = Perfetti > Quinn = Jarvis

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
“If I was under a head coach where I had to dump the puck in every time I go out over the red line and get on the forecheck, it would be frustrating and I wouldn’t be able to express how I really am as a player,” Perfetti stated.

Yeah, I might pass on this guy. You’re in juniors kid, teams aren’t dumping and chasing in the NHL because it speaks to their soul, they just can’t manage to carry the puck in. Let’s see you manage to get some successful NHL zone entries first before you complain about coaching styles.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Yeah, I might pass on this guy. You’re in juniors kid, teams aren’t dumping and chasing in the NHL because it speaks to their soul, they just can’t manage to carry the puck in. Let’s see you manage to get some successful NHL zone entries first before you complain about coaching styles.

And here's the thing - that's one of my biggest concerns about him as a player. I think his zone entries could be a disaster lol. He doesn't have the footspeed to force defenders to be honest. They aren't going to be worried about him pushing past them

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hopefully. I remember in 2017 there was a report(s) about the Devils taking Makar first overall and we were all losing our minds.

But in hindsight if that did happen...

We'd still be scratching our heads most likely because he'd have spent this season paired with Greene getting caved in on a team without Nico and we'd be watching Nico play on COL and score 60 points and have a great defensive impact behind MacKinnon. Makar would maybe have 35 points which would be encouraging but he'd be a -40 and we'd be arguing about how relevant that is and on the eye test he'd be getting run over by bigger forwards after two minute shifts of being hemmed in his own end and we'd be sacrificing free range chickens to the hockey gods to turn Bahl into a good partner for him down the line. You may see him as being just as good in NJ but I'm skeptical.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I want the Devils to take two forwards and I hope they do draft Ghule. He’s big, skates like the wind and has a bomb of a shot. What’s not to like. I don’t see us in on either Sanderson or Drysdale.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
We'd still be scratching our heads most likely because he'd have spent this season paired with Greene getting caved in on a team without Nico and we'd be watching Nico play on COL and score 60 points and have a great defensive impact behind MacKinnon. Makar would maybe have 35 points which would be encouraging but he'd be a -40 and we'd be arguing about how relevant that is and on the eye test he'd be getting run over by bigger forwards after two minute shifts of being hemmed in his own end and we'd be sacrificing free range chickens to the hockey gods to turn Bahl into a good partner for him down the line. You may see him as being just as good in NJ but I'm skeptical.

That sounds about right :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Askarov only makes sense if we’re content with our current forward core AND we manage to trade for a young defender using one of the later firsts AND the draft unfolds in a way that the Devils targets (personally for me it would be Rossi, Drysdale, and Sanderson) all happen to be gone by #7.

Then I could see the organization thinking the only thing missing in the 23-and-under pool is an elite goalie.

Either that or the Devils are trying to get a team that wants Askarov to trade up for #7 or use it as a trade chip for a young defender.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Askarov only makes sense if we’re content with our current forward core AND we manage to trade for a young defender using one of the later firsts AND the draft unfolds in a way that the Devils targets (personally for me it would be Rossi, Drysdale, and Sanderson) all happen to be gone by #7.

Then I could see the organization thinking the only thing missing in the 23-and-under pool is an elite goalie.

Either that or the Devils are trying to get a team that wants Askarov to trade up for #7 or use it as a trade chip for a young defender.
Or they think Askarov could potentially be the bpa. We’re drafting 7th, it not crazy to draft a high end goaltender prospect there.

Read the tweet though: “a few teams told HNIC they could see the Devils drafting Askarov at 7” It’s a very innocuous statement that makes no claim about having special inside intel about the Devils draft plans. It’s just the usual endless pre-draft chatter that fills Canadian media’s time.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I want the Devils to take two forwards and I hope they do draft Ghule. He’s big, skates like the wind and has a bomb of a shot. What’s not to like. I don’t see us in on either Sanderson or Drysdale.

If either Sanderson or Drysdale are available at #7 (which I don't think they will be), they will almost certainly be the Devils pick.

Guhle is very good and I've spoken highly of him during the entire year, but he would enter the Devils system fighting for second-best left-shot defenseman prospect along with Bahl, behind Smith. Whereas either Sanderson or Drysdale would immediately become the most talented defenseman drafted by the Devils since Scott Niedermeyer. I don't see how Fitzgerald would pass up on this, specifically because the Devils are desperate for a top-pairing D and the argument could be made for Sanderson or Drysdale as the best overall player available at #4 overall, much less #7.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sanderson is a good skater but I don't know about big in terms of defenseman. He's 6'1 and 185 pounds which is about average size among all players (including forwards)

I'm using this as the reference for average(from the 17-18 season): Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and weight

Agreed. Sanderson is average-sized, which is perfectly fine. If anything, he plays much bigger than he is and is positionally the most sound defenseman to come out of the draft in maybe a decade, especially impressive considering he is one of the younger players being considered for the first round of the 2020 draft.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If either Sanderson or Drysdale are available at #7 (which I don't think they will be), they will almost certainly be the Devils pick.

In your mock you have Ottawa taking Lundell at #5. Let's pretend that they take Drysdale in that spot instead. You've mentioned that Anaheim doesn't generally draft small forwards, but Rossi and Raymond would be, in my mind, by far the best players available. What do you think they would do in that spot?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I'm not sure how many people know about this website, but its called pick224.com/pairings and you can type in any prospect you want and you can see a ranking of all of the people who assisted on their goals. I think its a pretty unique resource to take a look at.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00