NCAA: 2020 College Football Thread Part 2

Dec 15, 2002
Gus Malzahn has been fired.
He is owed $21.7 million, 50% of which is due in the first 30 days. They must have really wanted him out.

Candidates who might be considered for the vacancy include Steele, Indiana's Tom Allen, Liberty's Hugh Freeze, Oregon's Mario Cristobal, Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin, Louisiana's Billy Napier, Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, former Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott and defensive coordinator Brent Venables.
Auburn can't win without paying people and breaking rules, which means Freeze is the obvious choice. Kiffin could be an early leader as well, having gotten the requisite one season in at Ole' Miss and what appears to be a better opportunity available.

For train wreck purposes, please put Quinn in there.

Reactions: Odie Cleghorn

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ha, didn’t realize Mack Brown once fired Manny Diaz at Texas

To be fair, he was right to. Texas's defenses under Diaz were shit at the time. I know his first year as UT's DC was impressive but the next year they fell off the cliff hard. They gave up 30+ 5 consecutive weeks, 45+ for 3 straight in that stretch, mind you two of those opponents were a good Oklahoma team and a WVU offense that was putting up Tecmo Bowl numbers at the time. But you don't have your defense give up 42 to a Bill Snyder K-State team and get to keep your job for much longer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like Blackshirt disciples were expecting/hoping Milton would go to Nebraska and reunite with Scott Frost. I think his family moved to Florida so it made sense.

Sep 19, 2008
Kid hasn't played in like 2 years

Whoknows if he'll even be effective

Is he really that much better than who FSU has now?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Starting to sound like Art Briles is going to take over for Freeze at Liberty soon as he signs elsewhere, which is a matter of when, no if. Won't shock me if Freeze takes the Auburn job given they clearly give zero shits about NCAA sanctions with what's going on with their basketball program.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In reality, they probably should if USC won't be in it.

May be an excuse to put them in.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
they will have 3 losses after Alabama runs them out of the building Saturday night
This will happen but I also don’t think Alabama can be out now in any scenario. If they lose they won’t fall past 4. Big question is what happens with USC if they beat Oregon, bc even though they’re 13, are they really going to leave out an undefeated Power-5 champion even though they only will have played 6 games?

Dec 15, 2002
This will happen but I also don’t think Alabama can be out now in any scenario. If they lose they won’t fall past 4. Big question is what happens with USC if they beat Oregon, bc even though they’re 13, are they really going to leave out an undefeated Power-5 champion even though they only will have played 6 games?
I'm waiting for the semis to get picked, then someone has to bail out because of 'ronies and they go bring in someone as a replacement.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Florida's ranking is a joke even by CFP committee standards. Iowa St. Jumping Cincinnati Coastal Carolina still screwed with 2-3 top 25 wins. 11-0 and if they go 12-0 they still may not get a NY 6 bowl...

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

How is their schedule strength? Ohio State has to lose and I think the ND/Clemson game has to be a blowout. But I think in that scenario Iowa State would get in provided they win on Saturday.
They really need to expand the field. Lower division football has 16 team or more tournaments. Not saying they should jump to 16 teams but the field definitely needs to be expanded

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Based on the most recent CFP rankings, realistically there are only a few teams that can make the playoff.
Alabama
ND
Clemson
Ohio St.
Texas A&M
Iowa St.
Oklahoma
Florida

Say ALL of the higher seeds lose in their championship games - Bama, OSU, ND, Iowa St. - then the top 4 would be:
1 Clemson
2 ND
3 Alabama
4 Florida / A&M (argue away)

If ALL of the higher seeds lose in their championship games except ND - Bama, OSU, Clemson, Iowa St. - then the top 4 would be:
1 ND
2 Alabama
3 A&M
4 Florida / Oklahoma (argue away)

G5 should flip the bird to the CFP and have a 4 team playoff with semis on 1/2/21 and the G5 final at noon on 1/9/21 before the NFL wild card games start.
1 Cincy
2 Coastal
3 BYU
4 Louisiana

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2002
G5 should flip the bird to the CFP and have a 4 team playoff with semis on 1/2/21 and the G5 final at noon on 1/9/21 before the NFL wild card games start.
1 Cincy
2 Coastal
3 BYU
4 Louisiana
This would be significantly more entertaining, especially since there's no feeling of oh yeah, of course I'd expect Alabama and Clemson to win and play for the national title yet again.

Reactions: Tryamw

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Florida was probably ranked 7th because the committee is not worried about them beating Alabama. If they lose they will be dropped out of the top 25. And if they win the committee can crow that the ranking was correct (of course that may contribute to a difficult final ranking)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad