NCAA: 2020 Coaching Carousel

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The results being what they are, Texas lost the 2022 #1 QB recruit to Ohio State, and Texas has been poor at recruiting quarterbacks. That can’t happen at blueblood schools.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The results being what they are, Texas lost the 2022 #1 QB recruit to Ohio State, and Texas has been poor at recruiting quarterbacks. That can’t happen at blueblood schools.
There is no patience in NCAA given the money coaches are getting. Herman got 4 years so the freshman to junior classes are his guys at the very least. They needed to show something in terms of improvements.

just reading the money that it costs to change coaches. $15 mill for Herman, $9 mill to his staff.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They’re betting on the NFL poaching all of Ohio State’s coaches.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They’re betting on the NFL poaching all of Ohio State’s coaches.
Michigan still hasn’t gotten the QB right. Their guy this season looked so over whelmed. Should have gone with McCaffery.

they have a freshman coming in in McCarthy. See if he can win the job.

honestly I expected Harbaugh to leave to return to the nfl. He’s best suited to a team with pieces rather than a full rebuild.

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan still hasn’t gotten the QB right. Their guy this season looked so over whelmed. Should have gone with McCaffery.

they have a freshman coming in in McCarthy. See if he can win the job.

honestly I expected Harbaugh to leave to return to the nfl. He’s best suited to a team with pieces rather than a full rebuild.

I don’t know how any NFL team watched Michigan with all the fanfare and resources they have and could come to the conclusion that he’s the answer. It’s probably why we’re hearing rumors of extension. I’ve been saying it for a few years now that he needs to get out and go back to the nfl before they figured out he’s damaged goods.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t know how any NFL team watched Michigan with all the fanfare and resources they have and could come to the conclusion that he’s the answer. It’s probably why we’re hearing rumors of extension. I’ve been saying it for a few years now that he needs to get out and go back to the nfl before they figured out he’s damaged goods.
I agree. I think his best targets to go to are teams who have under performed. Like a Chicago, Minnesota, Philly, chargers. Think he could turn it around quickly.
But not to a Jets, or other team that needs to be rebuilt.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Man I thought Harbaugh might actually get canned.

As for Herman... oof. IIRC Longhorn boosters paid a premium to get him there in the first place. Honestly it be nice to see Texas back in the thick of things.

Disappointing hire by UT. Will Sarkisian be able to stay on the wagon?

The hope is the time hes spent under Saban has helped him mature the way it did with Kiffin.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Man I thought Harbaugh might actually get canned.

As for Herman... oof. IIRC Longhorn boosters paid a premium to get him there in the first place. Honestly it be nice to see Texas back in the thick of things.

The hope is the time hes spent under Saban has helped him mature the way it did with Kiffin.
I don’t personally care which programs do it but it would be nice to see other programs besides Bama, OSU and Clemson. Be it Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, FSU, Miami, etc.

it costs a lot of money to change coaching staffs. It is literally insane how much it costs.

but these are big time decisions. You make your offer and you better be prepared to give the coach the time to turn it around. You will always be eating 1 year of the contract at a minimum if you have to get rid of the coach unless the coach wants to go to the NFL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good for Iowa State. Got a nice NY6 win. Hopefully they can run it back in Purdy’s senior season

Reactions: Babe Ruth

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I agree. I think his best targets to go to are teams who have under performed. Like a Chicago, Minnesota, Philly, chargers. Think he could turn it around quickly.
But not to a Jets, or other team that needs to be rebuilt.

The Jets are a better job than the Eagles would be. Coaches come in and they rebuild. It’s what they do.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Holliday canned after winning CUSA coach of the yr
Yep. Noted on the Canes board that this is entirely out of left field. The only thing that comes to mind, given that Doc had a bit of a shady rep as a recruiter even going back to his WVU days, is that either the NCAA has started sniffing around or the AD became aware of something that would cause serious issues down the line if they were to come sniffing around.

Edit: apparently it was largely due to some discipline issues around the program that even devolved to a fight in the locker room before the Rice game. If the issues coincided with their late season slide and weren't addressed by the coach I can see where the issues may have come from that had the AD annoyed enough to get rid of him.

Last edited:

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Freeze, Malzahn or Herman tbh
Joe Brady would be who I'd want, but don't think he even considers it

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Legitimately no surprise. Part of me is thinking they knew all along but the timing for that to be the case would be a little weird.

The irony of Fulmer penning that letter is absolutely hilarious though

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Terrible hire. He was good coaching Scott Frosts recruits but wasn't when he had to coach his own. With all the sanctions coming their way he won't be getting top talent and he's not a good enough coach to win when he doesn't have the talent advantage. I'd be surprised if he last more than 3 years or gets even 8 wins in one year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad