Prospect Info: 2020 4th Rd Selection - #122 OA (via VGK) - RD William Villeneuve (QMJHL) - 6'1 181

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Didn't hear of him before 4 hours ago. But reading up on him as the draft took forever I wanted him at 106. Excited they got him 122.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
his defensive play seems atrocious by what I've seen/heard, but he is great offensively
Its not atrocious. It needs work just like any 17 year old
Solid pick
High hockey IQ
And a great kid

i watched chabot in his early years and
He had warts

not saying this guy is chabot but he haa a great chance to make our team as a top four

he is putting up those numbers on a basement team
Chabot put up his numbers with a very talented supporting cast

ill see him every game all year and ill keep you uodated

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Thats odd, I heard the opposite about his D-zone play. We'l see I guess
yeah I have seen that too, but scouching seems really low on his defense. He does have a negative goal differential, but that may just be the team he's on as his relative goal differential is quite good

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Here is a scout's quote on Villeneuve on Mckeens (as one of the top sleepers in this draft):

"Honestly, I don’t get the wide gap separation between Poirier and Villeneuve, and I’ve seen
them both 40+ times in their junior careers. To me, Villeneuve will be just about as good offensively and won’t be that far off defensively.

I see Villeneuve, with more experience, as a finesse defender with great positioning and solid stick off the rush consistently. Currently holding Villeneuve back a bit is the need to put on a bit more muscle. From this, his stride will be more powerful and it’ll help him out. He’s very agile and fleet on his feet, maybe a better technical skater than Poirier.

Additionally, he is more calm and mature with the puck than Poirier. He works the line really well, but I’d like to see him play with more confidence, generally. He doesn’t take charge that much offensively, but does put up points. Adding more weight would also aid him defensively, as his reads are decent, but he can be beaten wide and lose some physical battles."

Reactions: TML Dynasty

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
yeah I have seen that too, but scouching seems really low on his defense. He does have a negative goal differential, but that may just be the team he's on as his relative goal differential is quite good
I didn't see that one, but yeah I guess time will tell.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here is a scout's quote on Villeneuve on Mckeens (as one of the top sleepers in this draft):

Honestly, I don’t get the wide gap separation between Poirier and Villeneuve, and I’ve seen
them both 40+ times in their junior careers. To me, Villeneuve will be just about as good offensively and won’t be that far off defensively.

I see Villeneuve, with more experience, as a finesse defender with great positioning and solid stick off the rush consistently. Currently holding Villeneuve back a bit is the need to put on a bit more muscle. From this, his stride will be more powerful and it’ll help him out. He’s very agile and fleet on his feet, maybe a better technical skater than Poirier.

Additionally, he is more calm and mature with the puck than Poirier. He works the line really well, but I’d like to see him play with more confidence, generally. He doesn’t take charge that much offensively, but does put up points. Adding more weight would also aid him defensively, as his reads are decent, but he can be beaten wide and lose some physical battles.
This report seems promising. I like it.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So, what's his issue that caused him to fall this far? Skating? IQ?
Bad skating and questionable hockey sense in his own end. Funny enough Poirier is worse defensively but has better skating and was drafted 40 picks higher by the Flames. Though he is off to a blistering start to the season with 4 points in 2 games meanwhile Villeneuve has 1 point in 2 games.

This kid is a project. Going to take a lot of work to fix his issues. Might not be an NHL player but he was drafted 2nd overall in the Q and had a good year numbers wise last year on an offensively abysmal team, so I guess there's a little bit of hope.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Bad skating and questionable hockey sense in his own end. Funny enough Poirier is worse defensively but has better skating and was drafted 40 picks higher by the Flames. Though he is off to a blistering start to the season with 4 points in 2 games meanwhile Villeneuve has 1 point in 2 games.

This kid is a project. Going to take a lot of work to fix his issues. Might not be an NHL player but he was drafted 2nd overall in the Q and had a good year numbers wise last year on an offensively abysmal team, so I guess there's a little bit of hope.

how many games have you actually seen him play. All young players have warts

his hockey IQ is very high

his skating and strength need to improve

he will be a steal at 122

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad