Prospect Info: 2020 3rd Rd Selection - #64 OA (via OTT) - RD Topi Niemela (Karpat) - 6'0 163

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think if people tracked anything besides points and +/- in the AHL, Liljegren would be viewed in a completely different light. He's been a dominant play driving defenseman since his d+2 and he's only gotten better. Imo he's got maybe a slightly lower ceiling then Sandin, but I think he's got by far the highest floor of the three. He will be a top-4 defenseman.

Liljegren
Sandin
-
Niemela

But I think Niemela is creeping closer into the top group every day.
Lily is an excellent AHL dman, no doubt, but he’s also spent 4 seasons in the AHL. Not surprising he’s adapted well to the league by now. In his small cups of coffee at the NHL level (so far) he looks like he has trouble keeping up (mentally) with the pace of the play.

I personally expect him to be terrific in the AHL this year, but still questionable at the NHL level, and to remain an injury call up, not making our top 6. I think he’ll almost certainly be a full time NHLer by somewhere around 23-25 years old (he turns 23 around the end of this season), but I don’t really see top 4 NHL upside. I do think both Topi and Sandin are significantly more likely to be top 4 NHL dmen, they’re on a different level in terms of hockey IQ.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lily is an excellent AHL dman, no doubt, but he’s also spent 4 seasons in the AHL. Not surprising he’s adapted well to the league by now. In his small cups of coffee at the NHL level (so far) he looks like he has trouble keeping up (mentally) with the pace of the play.

I personally expect him to be terrific in the AHL this year, but still questionable at the NHL level, and to remain an injury call up, not making our top 6. I think he’ll almost certainly be a full time NHLer by somewhere around 23-25 years old (he turns 23 around the end of this season), but I don’t really see top 4 NHL upside. I do think both Topi and Sandin are significantly more likely to be top 4 NHL dmen, they’re on a different level in terms of hockey IQ.

Only 1 defenseman from Niemala draft has any NHL games, Jamie Drysdale.

79 defensemen drafted in Liljegren's draft ... 21 have any NHL games.
Realistically, Liljegren is 2 years out of junior.

I have thought he has looked okay in the NHL, not flashy, but looked like his first goal was to get the puck out of the Leafs zone, and with a pass rather than trying to carry it out.

People would think differently of him had he stayed in Europe, or played junior when he was junior age.

RoundOverallTeamPlayerPositionTeamGames
13DallasMiro HeiskanenDHIFK Helsinki [SM-liiga]205
129ChicagoHenri JokiharjuDPortland Winterhawks [WHL]153
249San JoseMario FerraroDDes Moines Buccaneers [USHL]117
14ColoradoCale MakarDBrooks Bandits [AJHL]101
234VegasNicolas HagueDMississauga Steelheads [OHL]90
116CalgaryJuuso ValimakiDTri-City Americans [WHL]73
115VegasErik BrannstromDHV71 Jonkoping [SweHL]63
4103Los AngelesMichael AndersonDWaterloo Black Hawks [USHL]60
387MontrealCale FleuryDKootenay Ice [WHL]41
257ChicagoIan MitchellDSpruce Grove Saints [AJHL]39
499BuffaloJacob BrysonDProvidence College [H-East]38
114Tampa BayCal FooteDKelowna Rockets [WHL]35
232ColoradoConor TimminsDSoo Greyhounds [OHL]33
238DetroitGustav LindstromDAlmtuna IS [Swe-1]29
5139NY IslandersSebastian AhoDSkelleftea AIK [SweHL]25
7196PhiladelphiaWyatt KalynukDBloomington Thunder [USHL]21
123ArizonaPierre-Olivier JosephDCharlottetown Islanders [QMJHL]16
118BostonUrho VaakanainenDJyP HT Jyvaskyla [SM-liiga]16
117TorontoTimothy LiljegrenDRogle BK Angelholm [SweHL]13
495VancouverJack RathboneDDexter School [Mass. H.S.]8
392NashvilleDavid FarranceDU.S. National Development Team [USHL]2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: The Iceman

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I think if you gave Liljegren 20 games straight with no repercussions, you'd see AHL Lil in the NHL.

His IQ is excellent at the AHL, his transition play is arguably the best of the 3, and his defense and physicality is on another level. His offense is behind the other two, but its still above average.

He just needs the opportunity to play and it'll be fun for all of us to laugh at the idiots who doubted him. Guys got #2 upside imo, but my realistic assumption is he's a second pair playdriver.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think if you gave Liljegren 20 games straight with no repercussions, you'd see AHL Lil in the NHL.

His IQ is excellent at the AHL, his transition play is arguably the best of the 3, and his defense and physicality is on another level. His offense is behind the other two, but its still above average.

He just needs the opportunity to play and it'll be fun for all of us to laugh at the idiots who doubted him. Guys got #2 upside imo, but my realistic assumption is he's a second pair playdriver.

It's weird because experts and everybody raved about his offensive game when he was drafted and now it's the complete opposite. Hopefully they let him play with Muzzin this season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It's weird because experts and everybody raved about his offensive game when he was drafted and now it's the complete opposite. Hopefully they let him play with Muzzin this season.
Except his offensive game was still exceptional for his age in the AHL. His age 18/19/20 seasons he had some of the best PPG of all time in the AHL despite Rosen/Sandin getting PP duty over him most of the time.

Reactions: stickty111

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He looks like he could be a Rasmus Andersson style defender.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Guys sounding more and more like a steal every day.
He and Kokkonen could move quickly once they get over here.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Niemelä was awesome this evening, playing a very modern and fast transitional game - I don't think I counted him pass the puck backwards once, always just straight ahead and always on the stick.

Nor did he lose puck battles, he will fill out in the up coming years and get stronger, but he already plays such a smart game that he very rarely loses the puck battles - such an active stick and high iq plays all around.

A very refreshing sight for sore eyes. :)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Niemelä was awesome this evening, playing a very modern and fast transitional game - I don't think I counted him pass the puck backwards once, always just straight ahead and always on the stick.

Nor did he lose puck battles, he will fill out in the up coming years and get stronger, but he already plays such a smart game that he very rarely loses the puck battles - such an active stick and high iq plays all around.

A very refreshing sight for sore eyes. :)

Thanks for this…

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Awesome, really great start for Niemela...
Excited to see how he does at WJC this year

He's another prospect with hockey IQ as a major strength so I feel good about his chances of playing for us one day, just don't know what his ceiling is yet
He was touted as a strong defensive dman, but the wjc and his production indicates that his ceiling could be a strong two way defenseman. The fact that he played his draft year against men worked so well to our advantage because i’m presuming that he didn’t showcase much offense that year or else this guy wouldn’t slip to the 3rd round.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad