Well, he is a Flame now....
EquatorialGoodnaturedGalapagosmockingbird-size_restricted.gif

For Bandit
Oh, it's you. <-click on that

This is your reaction, everyone else gets Seinfeld
mu9jj1caaeb01.png

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
California getting ready to increase taxes on millionaires by up to 3.5%. I worry that highly paid athletes might decide California isn't worth it. Might not make a big difference to the likes of LeBron, who makes more in endorsements being in a major market, but some hockey players looking to make a few million per year might decide to take a pass on California teams.

Tax hike on California millionaires would create 54% tax rate

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
California getting ready to increase taxes on millionaires by up to 3.5%. I worry that highly paid athletes might decide California isn't worth it. Might not make a big difference to the likes of LeBron, who makes more in endorsements being in a major market, but some hockey players looking to make a few million per year might decide to take a pass on California teams.

The league really has to figure out some way to make this a little more even. Washington, Texas, Nevada, Florida all have no income tax vs CA with the highest.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The league really has to figure out some way to make this a little more even. Washington, Texas, Nevada, Florida all have no income tax vs CA with the highest.

There are obviously some advantages to some locations, but it's not just income tax. There are other taxes besides state that can be levied, like public utility or B&O.

You know, a lot of players like playing in NY, NJ, and Boston and those are 3 of the top 5 in total taxes per capita. Washington, despite not having personal or corporate state taxes, is #17 per capita. So it would be a fairly complex calculation and how often would it have to be revisited? 3 or 5 years? I think it can be done but it wouldn't be easy, which is probably why it hasn't gained any traction.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
California is actually hauling in the dough. We're buoyed the Tech boom in Nor Cal. Even in the pandemic, NASDAQ is booming. But everything is cyclical and Big Tech will eventually have a downturn here. When that happens, we are in for a rude awakening.

And let's not even get into unfunded pension obligations. CalPERS and CalSTRS are under funded by nearly a quarter trillion.

Reactions: yankeeking

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
There are obviously some advantages to some locations, but it's not just income tax. There are other taxes besides state that can be levied, like public utility or B&O.

You know, a lot of players like playing in NY, NJ, and Boston and those are 3 of the top 5 in total taxes per capita. Washington, despite not having personal or corporate state taxes, is #17 per capita. So it would be a fairly complex calculation and how often would it have to be revisited? 3 or 5 years? I think it can be done but it wouldn't be easy, which is probably why it hasn't gained any traction.

I think it's because they can take a train to the next arena and can sleep in their own beds most nights when they're on the East coast playing in their division. Nothing we can really do about that advantage.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Sounds like the league made a ruling on the Kings/Leafs trade. If the Leafs win the qualifying round and Campbell gets at least 2 wins then the Kings will receive the Toronto 2021 2nd round pick. They will also get the 2nd if the Leafs re-sign Clifford, otherwise it reverts to a 2021 3rd round pick.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
We have 5 2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts and a deep farm system. I'd personally would like to have clifford back.

Don't see how the leafs can afford him. HF posters see his $800k salary and assume that's what it would take but they keep forgetting that the $800k is after the kings retained 50%.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

I wouldn't worry. Most athletes would be willing to pay a little more for California weather and such.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
No Clifford and no Lewis. Time to move on folks. We already have vets we can’t trade (Brown and Carter), we don’t need more. We have a ton of young players who need ice time to show if they belong in the NHL or not. Time to let the kids show what they got.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No more Clifford. If we want the page turned, we have to turn it. Clifford wasn't Clifford until he got the chance to be Clifford. Let some new young guy become the guy that will have videos made about how much he loves being a King.

Arguably, Clifford became Clifford too early because of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad