Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
From another perspective, that would move Roy to the 3rd pairing (beastly), Walker to another side or out of the lineup, and instantly turn Faber/Grans/Durzi into high end poker chips (not that I WANT to trade them, just spitballing).

Doughty-Anderson
Hamilton-Bjornfot
Roy-Clague
Strand

absolute fire, all mobile and good two way with some offensive pop.

I think Hamilton would fit exactly the mold that we are looking for, maybe slightly older than the age range that has been reported, but you can't deny his quality. I'm holding out hope that he doesn't resign in Carolina, but he's already on good team while getting good minutes so I think its unlikely he'll downgrade to a team in the middle of a rebuild and still be behind Doughty for foreseeable future. I can't think of any other defenseman that would slot in better than Hamilton

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Keep in mind Hamilton has been booted off 2 teams already which is a concern.
I don't know about "booted off". He just seems like a different kinda dude. Kind of a goofball who maybe doesn't fit into an all hockey all the time mindset off the ice? He seems to have found a fit with the Hurricanes, who make it their business to make hockey look fun. Could use more of that on the Kings.

How Dougie Hamilton ended up on the Hurricanes | Boston.com

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Keep in mind Hamilton has been booted off 2 teams already which is a concern.
him being dealt from Calgary was very stupid. Because he likes to go to Museums instead of the bar with team mates. Flames needed to grow up. Although that was a very good deal for both the Flames and Canes IMO.

When he was dealt to Calgary he was an rfa and the bruins had cap issues.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
him being dealt from Calgary was very stupid. Because he likes to go to Museums instead of the bar with team mates. Flames needed to grow up. Although that was a very good deal for both the Flames and Canes IMO.

When he was dealt to Calgary he was an rfa and the bruins had cap issues.

Yea that sounds more like a Kobe type personality that would rather stay home than party with the boys. I don't have any problem with that.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
From another perspective, that would move Roy to the 3rd pairing (beastly), Walker to another side or out of the lineup, and instantly turn Faber/Grans/Durzi into high end poker chips (not that I WANT to trade them, just spitballing).

Doughty-Anderson
Hamilton-Bjornfot
Roy-Clague
Strand

absolute fire, all mobile and good two way with some offensive pop.

that is a wicked Right side. Would reduce a Doughty’s time a bit in the process

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There are going to be some cap strapped teams who may need to wiggle out of contracts in order to re-sign their own free agents or to make upgrades in the open market.

Here are some names who could potentially be moved, or UFAs who might be the "right fit" on the left side on this haphazard blueline...

Adam Pelech
Jamie Oleksiak
Mattias Ekholm
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Vince Dunn
Vladislav Gavrikov
Jake McCabe
Nikita Zadorov
Alex Edler
Alex Goligoski
Shayne Gostisbehere
Dmitry Kulikov
Nick Holden
Jon Merrill
Ian Cole
Michael Del Zotto
Ryan Murray
Mike Reilly
Patrik Nemeth
Gabriel Carlsson

What direction they go in with the blueline is likely dependent on what happens with the expansion draft, but the following dmen still have term on their contracts: Doughty, Maatta, Roy, Walker, Anderson, Bjornfot, MacDermid, and Clague and Strand will both be RFAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docgonzo

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
There are going to be some cap strapped teams who may need to wiggle out of contracts in order to re-sign their own free agents or to make upgrades in the open market.

Here are some names who could potentially be moved, or UFAs who might be the "right fit" on the left side on this haphazard blueline...

Adam Pelech
Jamie Oleksiak
Mattias Ekholm
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Vince Dunn
Vladislav Gavrikov
Jake McCabe
Nikita Zadorov
Alex Edler
Alex Goligoski
Shayne Gostisbehere
Dmitry Kulikov
Nick Holden
Jon Merrill
Ian Cole
Michael Del Zotto
Ryan Murray
Mike Reilly
Patrik Nemeth
Gabriel Carlsson

What direction they go in with the blueline is likely dependent on what happens with the expansion draft, but the following dmen still have term on their contracts: Doughty, Maatta, Roy, Walker, Anderson, Bjornfot, MacDermid, and both Clague and Strand will both be RFAs.

I like Ekholm, Dunn, Gostisbehere, and Gavrikov from that list.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
This seems the perfect off-season to add a gritty vet to the bottom 6. Since they’re are some decent UFAs and who know how much teams are willing to spend, so the Kings might look attractive because they have a lot of space.

Coleman and Goodrow from Tampa
Cizikas from Islanders
Lowry from Winnipeg
Foligno and Hyman from Toronto
Bellemare from Colorado
Paquette and Martinook from Carolina
Dzingel from Ottawa

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Who on our board has called Byfield a bust? "Everyone" seems to imply it's many people, so who is it? Some people wanted a different player taken, criticism doesn't mean someone thinks someone is a bust.

I was on the Byfield train so this doesn't apply to me, but I've been accused of calling Turcotte a "bust" just because I don't think his play is ever going to warrant the draft capital used to take him. So I'm guessing the same thing is happening to someone like Frolov 63 who hyped up Stutzle. It's lazy and dishonest.

There is a huge gap between criticism of a player or pick and calling someone a bust.

There have been plenty of people who have bemoaned his WJC production and slow start to the AHL.

Directly calling him a bust? Maybe not. But I think Bandit makes a salient point that people who didn't like the pick because of something they read or highlight videos, will now say "I've watched him play (a game, but they leave this out), and the Kings made a mistake picking him over Stutzle."

Maybe Bandit meant something else, but that's what I was dreading before he said it.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Clague, Maata, Strand, and MacD could get picked from Seattle.

If Seattle takes a forward, look for Kings to move one of those D or Walker.

Doughty-Anderson
Toby B.-Roy
Walker-Maata
Extras: Clague, MacD

This is why Mayor speculates Walker is dealt, so Clague slides into that #5 spot and Kings could still pick up a top 4 and push Maata to the press box, waivers, or Seattle leaving MacD as the #7. Picking up a top 4 D would allow Anderson or Toby to move down.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
It’s going to be a massive challenge for Blake. Teams don’t trade the kind of talent he needs unless they have issues (Laine) or are a contract risk or just simply a bad fit. Mantha would have been nice but a similar deal would have cost Kemp, a 2nd, and someone like Kupari.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While I'm with everyone else to some degree or another, I'm a little surprised at the level of panic at how 'broken' this team is.

I told myself before the season that so long as they were in competition for a playoff spot until this week--the forseen bloodbath of VGK-VGK-COL--I'd be satisfied and it's progress. I'm not going to go back on that and worry too much about the 'how' because the reality is we've had key players--Roy, notably, but also Bjornfot, Walker--out of the lineup for periods of time and this team isn't quite there WITH them, never mind while playing Macdermid as a 2nd pairing dman. I think if you told anyone before the season that down the stretch Macdermid would be our 2LHD and we're still chasing a spot, they'd take it regardless.

To me, this season broke down in a few key areas, none of which are unsolvable:

1. The aforementioned d breakdowns. Anderson performed more admirably than I thought, allowing Toby to slide in as #4 instead of #2. They both had growing pains, for sure, but they've gotten in a good amount of NHL experience now that will help them in the near future. Ditto for Clague, though the organization seems keen to dump him for whatever reason, and Strand, who was a surprise revelation. Having to play Macdermid (bless him), Maatta (screw that guy, perfectly happy to waive him next year), and LOLanin had the attrition effect on the better players of the dcore imo.

Not an easy problem to solve--maybe someone takes a huge step forward, and we have some great depth dmen on the way, but we will need someone who can masquerade more as Roy/Doughty and less as a depth guy. This is the one that will likely cost the most to solve, yet is the most important--but we don't know what our assets are to trade them. This is where all the 'dynamic LHD' smoke is coming from. Names like Werenski and Sergachev are gonna be too painful to acquire; names like Hamilton require a prayer. Not sure where this goes to be honest but Blake has his work cut out for him.

2. The PP stopped working/scoring drought. Someone mentioned earlier that it masked other issues, but i tend to disagree--it wasn't scoring at an unsustainable pace by any means and it looked the part. When the special teams broke down, nothing else could save us. Now TM historically has good special teams, so I think this is fixable with the growth of key personnel. Not really worried here as most of our key prospects are scorers.

3. The middle scoring/lack of a 2c. This is what really killed us. Carter faded, Vilardi couldn't take and hold the spot. JAD is great but probably not the long-term solution though it's great to see his success in the middle six. Lizotte's scoring completely died, what the hell happened there? The usual streaky guys are 'fine'--ie Kempe--it's the others that need to step up. Not as worried here, see above--but it was truly a large failure of this season.

I'm not sure there are any 'sexy' UFAs out there but Hamilton, not sure that I would chase a scorer, those are finishing pieces. I get the feeling we're going to have to wait till after the draft and some camp assessments before we see any real 'moves' and that will tick people off but when most of your key pieces are mystery boxes you have to start unwrapping them before you go shopping again for needs. And trade to complete, not to build.

I imagine we see some major surge next year of the prospects turning 20-21, but also Byfield, forcing people out of spots (finally).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There have been plenty of people who have bemoaned his WJC production and slow start to the AHL.

Directly calling him a bust? Maybe not. But I think Bandit makes a salient point that people who didn't like the pick because of something they read or highlight videos, will now say "I've watched him play (a game, but they leave this out), and the Kings made a mistake picking him over Stutzle."

Maybe Bandit meant something else, but that's what I was dreading before he said it.

The WJC thing is always funny, not something exclusive to this board by any means but I've definitely seen it here. When a prospect does poorly in the WJC it is "overreacting to a few bad games" or "not going to judge him off of one bad tournament" but when a prospect does well it means something "he dominated the WJC, how can you question him" . I personally don't care about the tournament, I think it means so much less than sustained play in whatever league the player is in, but I get it, it's always a big part of the year on HF because for a lot of people its there first chance to see prospects play on TV.

The other part, I mean I don't know, I got called a "stat watcher" and "you clearly have never seen him play" anytime I am not totally 100% on board with a prospect, even one I actually saw play a decent amount in person. It seems that people are ok with favorable opinions but immediately go on the attack when there is the slightest bit of negativity. I am more active in discussing prospects I am able to atleast see play somewhat regularly on TV if not in person (it's why I have talked about Turcotte and Faber more than any other prospects on this board) and have strong opinions about guys who played in the Big Ten. I trust my own eyes more than a write up or a YouTube video, you can edit video to make anyone look good, people used to post Colten Teubert videos here back in the day, but Covid this year robbed me of seeing Faber in person but Minnesota is on TV almost every week and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what kind of player he is from watching him.

I still think though that people get to butt hurt when people are critical in any way of a prospect for their team. There was a group here who strongly wanted Stutzle, I don't think any of those Kings fans have ever called Byfield a bust. If Fro63 or ilovekings say they think the Kings made a mistake people immediately think its an attack rather than a praise of the other player. Dallas probably made a mistake taking Heiskanen over Makar, doesn't mean Heiskanen isn't a fantastic all-star caliber player himself just that Makar has best player in the league type ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Blake has to prove he can build a competitive team. He’s made some good trades, drafted pretty well and gave himself flexibility with cap space. Let’s see if he puts the right pieces together. His grade so far for me is a great big INCOMPLETE.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The WJC thing is always funny, not something exclusive to this board by any means but I've definitely seen it here. When a prospect does poorly in the WJC it is "overreacting to a few bad games" or "not going to judge him off of one bad tournament" but when a prospect does well it means something "he dominated the WJC, how can you question him" . I personally don't care about the tournament, I think it means so much less than sustained play in whatever league the player is in, but I get it, it's always a big part of the year on HF because for a lot of people its there first chance to see prospects play on TV.

The other part, I mean I don't know, I got called a "stat watcher" and "you clearly have never seen him play" anytime I am not totally 100% on board with a prospect, even one I actually saw play a decent amount in person. It seems that people are ok with favorable opinions but immediately go on the attack when there is the slightest bit of negativity. I am more active in discussing prospects I am able to atleast see play somewhat regularly on TV if not in person (it's why I have talked about Turcotte and Faber more than any other prospects on this board) and have strong opinions about guys who played in the Big Ten. I trust my own eyes more than a write up or a YouTube video, you can edit video to make anyone look good, people used to post Colten Teubert videos here back in the day, but Covid this year robbed me of seeing Faber in person but Minnesota is on TV almost every week and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what kind of player he is from watching him.

I still think though that people get to butt hurt when people are critical in any way of a prospect for their team. There was a group here who strongly wanted Stutzle, I don't think any of those Kings fans have ever called Byfield a bust. If Fro63 or ilovekings say they think the Kings made a mistake people immediately think its an attack rather than a praise of the other player. Dallas probably made a mistake taking Heiskanen over Makar, doesn't mean Heiskanen isn't a fantastic all-star caliber player himself just that Makar has best player in the league type ceiling.

That's fair. I try to have more positive language and setting realistic expectations. I can't speak for all, but I'm sure there's the component of some people being unable to hear criticism.

So, yes. I will focus on the good. For a few reasons. I will be more excited when a prospect does well, but won't think it's doomsday if a prospect is underwhelming.

I do have an easier time criticizing non-Kings prospects. At least tjose that are getting ridiculous hype. However, I try to balance it by tempering hype on Kings prospects.

I do think it's silly, regardless, to say "Team X made a mistake drafting A over B." There are SO many moving parts to the success of a player's career. Some teams are better equipped to develop a player physically. Others may connect better with the player mentally. Assuming that swapping teams = swapping results is foolhardy. So, yes, those I will push back on.

For example, did Dallas make a mistake drafting Jack Campbell? Considering he's a legit player now, and he was traded for Nick Ebert, it seems there was a failure somewhere. They more or less didn't know how to dial in mentally with him, and hurt years of his career.

We mistakenly assume the mistake was made, because we assume the players would do just as well and everything else is equal. They're not. Do you truly think Stutzle would have the exact same amount of points if he were on the Kings? I submit no. Because we see the professionals/vets have different outcomes in different environments, and 18-20 year-old kids are much more physically and mentally malleable and volatile.

Teams make potentially franchise altering decisions with a mix of bias and the best information they have available. Years get put into watching the development of these players even before the draft. To read people backseat scout and allude any team screwed up or made a mistake, based off of recency bias of a few games and not knowing the person? Sorry, that's where I draw the line myself.

Granted, we all have opinions and bias. That's what the board is for. I just don't think anyone, whether we're posters or analysts on TV, are in a position to call out mistakes.

But I've also got on the nerves of many here, so maybe I'm the one with the problem. That's just my limit.

FWIW, I apologize if it was me who called you a stat watcher. I think the only context I've said that is when you list stats as criticism, instead of making specific remarks about a player's game. Still, I should know better and will avoid such commentary in the future.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's funny how those few years post-Voynov they were so desperate for that RHD, now they need that Top 4 LHD because they've done a pretty good job of finding and developing right shots (specifically Roy & Walker).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The issue I see is that no forward or D prospect is proving they are “star” level.

Roy and Walker are surprises, we all heard the hype of Mikey Anderson but these are NOT star players.

At forward, no young player has proved to be elite. Vilardi has tanked, JAD has played well but he’s a 2nd or 3rd liner.

Bottom line besides 26 year Cal Peterson proving he is a number one goalie no other young player has stepped forward and dominated.

This is the reason why AA and Iafallo are being re signed. Because the other young forwards are inconsistent, unproven or haven’t stepped up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The issue I see is that no forward or D prospect is proving they are “star” level.

Roy and Walker are surprises, we all heard the hype of Mikey Anderson but these are NOT star players.

At forward, no young player has proved to be elite. Vilardi has tanked, JAD has played well but he’s a 2nd or 3rd liner.

Bottom line besides 26 year Cal Peterson proving he is a number one goalie no other young player has stepped forward and dominated.

This is the reason why AA and Iafallo are being re signed. Because the other young forwards are inconsistent, unproven or haven’t stepped up.

I don't disagree with your post.

I just think we're a year shy of some major breakthroughs. Keep in mind most of our major threats are still teenagers.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't disagree with your post.

I just think we're a year shy of some major breakthroughs. Keep in mind most of our major threats are still teenagers.

Yeah... like, Brock Faber competed for the rookie of the year in Big Ten, being put in the same conversation as expected first overall of the 2021 draft Owen Power.

Had he been born three weeks later, he would have been too young for last year's draft. And he anchored the top pairing to help USA win gold.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Trade our first rounder plus to move up to top 3 to draft Luke Hughes. Sign Landeskog...

Landeskog-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Byfield-Vilardi
Kempe-AndersonDolan-Athanasiou
Lemieux-Moore-Grundstrom
Wagner/Lizotte
(Andersson/Turcotte/Kaliyev callups)

Hughes-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Bjornfot-Walker
Clague or Strand as extra

Status
Not open for further replies.