Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Those of you complaining about us protecting Brown who has 1 year left at 5.85 mil. He put up 17 goals in 49 games last season…

Barclay F-ing Goodrow is about to get a 6 year deal worth 3.6 mil per season. He had 6 goals in 55 games last season…

Last edited:

illegal_stick

Nov 27, 2005
To be clear, despite his many mistakes, I love Lombardi and one day I hope he does get another chance - even if it's with us. But, this is Blake's team and he deserves the same opportunities/patience that Lombardi got. And don't tell me Blake is waaaay worse so far, because he isn't. His Kovalchuck is Deano's Cloutier, his Stevens is Lombardi's Crawford. If anything I'd say up to this point Blake has done a better job (especially if his draft picks turn out as projected) BUT the next step is where most GM's fail and where Lombardi excelled, putting it all together into a winning team. I just get tired of the Blake bashing, over the past three years he has done everything the way I would have wanted a GM to handle this team. I think our two worst years behind us and they were boring pandemic years anyway.

For now, DL is the best we ever had (despite the end), but if you're a real fan of this team you should want Blake to eclipse that, not fail because you're still butt hurt he took off the "C' for a couple of days or whatever the hell it was we were all mad about.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
To be clear, despite his many mistakes, I love Lombardi and one day I hope he does get another chance - even if it's with us. But, this is Blake's team and he deserves the same opportunities/patience that Lombardi got. And don't tell me Blake is waaaay worse so far, because he isn't. His Kovalchuck is Deano's Cloutier, his Stevens is Lombardi's Crawford. If anything I'd say up to this point Blake has done a better job (especially if his draft picks turn out as projected) BUT the next step is where most GM's fail and where Lombardi excelled, putting it all together into a winning team. I just get tired of the Blake bashing, over the past three years he has done everything the way I would have wanted a GM to handle this team. I think our two worst years behind us and they were boring pandemic years anyway.

For now, DL is the best we ever had (despite the end), but if you're a real fan of this team you should want Blake to eclipse that, not fail because you're still butt hurt he took off the "C' for a couple of days or whatever the hell it was we were all mad about.

Yes: they both made some similar mistakes early on. I think the key difference is that Lombardi immediately traded his top scorer and iced a team that got the 4OA pick while Blake completely misjudged his roster. Credit to him for quickly blowing it up once he realized what was going on but it is pretty rough for the former AGM to not have his finger on the pulse of the team.

I said it earlier but I'm not sure how anyone can think Blake is doing a better job so far. I'm not really sure how the comparison can be made because it all hinges on how Blake's draft picks turn out. That said, Blake's coaching history is more suspect at this point in time since T-Mac is already in the questionable category. Just like the prospects though, that could turn on a dime next season.

You are correct though that the time for him to be held accountable is upon us and, yes, we should all hope he crushes it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm okay with what Blake has done so far. Though I do have criticisms.

Blake has not really set a clear vision and identity. This was Lombardi's bread and butter, which I miss. However, Blake has shown adaptability, which was Lombardi's biggest issue to overcome.

Like, you can look at a player and say "that's not a DL type of player."

I love the collection of prospects the Kings have, but can anyone describe a "Rob Blake" type of player? What are the qualities?

If DL were to come back, I'd be intrigued by what he has learned since then. I'm not pining for it. But he was also the first successful GM as far as winning cups, and he was brought in from outside the organization - I'm receptive to looking outside the org once more should Blake be unsuccessful and move on.

illegal_stick

Nov 27, 2005
Yes: they both made some similar mistakes early on. I think the key difference is that Lombardi immediately traded his top scorer and iced a team that got the 4OA pick while Blake completely misjudged his roster. Credit to him for quickly blowing it up once he realized what was going on but it is pretty rough for the former AGM to not have his finger on the pulse of the team.

I said it earlier but I'm not sure how anyone can think Blake is doing a better job so far. I'm not really sure how the comparison can be made because it all hinges on how Blake's draft picks turn out. That said, Blake's coaching history is more suspect at this point in time since T-Mac is already in the questionable category. Just like the prospects though, that could turn on a dime next season.

You are correct though that the time for him to be held accountable is upon us and, yes, we should all hope he crushes it.

See, I always felt like DL got a bit "lucky" in that Crawford did so terribly and the Cloutier mess left us without a goalie. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he purposely tanked that team and I guess either way, he gets credit for it. It happened, he got Doughty. There's no cups without that pick. He certainly wasn't going for guys like Kovalchuck. In fairness, not sure Blake had any choice but to go for it.

The draft is Blake's opportunity to upgrade over what Dean-o did. If Byfield, Turcotte etc. turn out like Hickey, Teubert etc. then we have a real problem.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

illegal_stick

Nov 27, 2005
I'm okay with what Blake has done so far. Though I do have criticisms.

Blake has not really set a clear vision and identity. This was Lombardi's bread and butter, which I miss. However, Blake has shown adaptability, which was Lombardi's biggest issue to overcome.

Like, you can look at a player and say "that's not a DL type of player."

I love the collection of prospects the Kings have, but can anyone describe a "Rob Blake" type of player? What are the qualities?

If DL were to come back, I'd be intrigued by what he has learned since then. I'm not pining for it. But he was also the first successful GM as far as winning cups, and he was brought in from outside the organization - I'm receptive to looking outside the org once more should Blake be unsuccessful and move on.

Definitely see what you're saying. I don't think Blake has the chart like DL had, but maybe it's a good thing that there isn't a Rob Blake type player? Isn't that how we made the Hickey mistake - overvaluing character, instead of skill? You're right, so far Blake just takes best player available. I just think that might turn out to be the better way. For all DL's genius, some of those first round picks.... (I know - on the scouts too)

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
See, I always felt like DL got a bit "lucky" in that Crawford did so terribly and the Cloutier mess left us without a goalie. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he purposely tanked that team and I guess either way, he gets credit for it. It happened, he got Doughty. There's no cups without that pick. He certainly wasn't going for guys like Kovalchuck. In fairness, not sure Blake had any choice but to go for it.

The draft is Blake's opportunity to upgrade over what Dean-o did. If Byfield, Turcotte etc. turn out like Hickey, Teubert etc. then we have a real problem.

I agree with all of this but...DL did literally go for Kovalchuk, haha.

Jun 30, 2006
It obviously hurt him, he traded for power and grit as the league went with speed and skill. He unfortunately gave up a winning lottery ticket in the Lucic trade and Jones has absolutely owned us since.

Didn’t Blake retain almost everyone and went after older, slower players in his first year? So was it really the fact the league was changing? No, that’s just a bs line to cover up what really happened.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Cloutier being healthy still would have left them without a goalie. Still feel that the signing was a culture move and not a talent move. Would be interesting to have DL explain what he was doing with this one. I've always just thought that he did it because Cloutier was a battler and he could keep the crease warm for Bernier to eventually take over.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Those of you complaining about us protecting Brown who has 1 year left at 5.85 mil. He put up 17 goals in 49 games last season…

Barclay F-info Goodrow is about to get a 6 year deal worth 3.6 mil per season. He had 6 goals in 55 games last season…
Goodrow can be counted on to do things that win games. Brown cannot anymore.

Empty goals in an empty season completely bereft of any kind of team game. No leadership, just floating and cherry picking.

Leading the Kings in goals is like celebrating the whopper being the top selling item at Burger King. Both are a shit sandwich no matter how you qualify it.

Jun 30, 2006
The veteran players Lombardi brought in were all willing to put up with, and thrive under Sutter. Once their influence and stability left, the core showed their soft underbellies and quit. Same thing they did under Murray, same thing they did under Stevens, and they never even bothered taking Desjardins seriously.

That being said, Terry Murray should have been let go after losing to San Jose. He had plateaued, and I suspect the only reason he was retained into the next year was that Sutter wasn't ready to get back into coaching yet.

Sutter had run his course as well, and a lot of players were unhappy under him. I don't know that keeping him around for another year would have been productive, but I suspect that Lombardi dug his heels in there not only for his friends sake, but also to keep the players in line. Meanwhile Robitaille was maneuvering behind him, negotiating an extension with Kopitar that Lombardi was hesitant to offer.

Quitting on Stevens is the one I really don't get. They got everything they wanted, but, just like it is easier to win once you have already won, its easier to quit once you have already quit without ramifications.

Sutter wasn’t canned because DL wasn’t going to have players tell him what to do. The other thing was Sutter was the best coach for the team. I mean who you going to replace Sutter with? We all saw what happened after DL/Sutter left. This team was losing its identity and it doesn’t have one anymore.

Reactions: illegal_stick
Jun 30, 2006
I think if Lombardi became GM of the Kings all of a sudden, he would do exactly what a lot of the people who are his biggest supporters, are vehemently opposed to. He would probably move a massive amount of futures to load up and try and make a cup run.

He would do the same thing he’s done at Minnesota, San Jose and Los Angeles. Build from the backend out, and he would draft Wallstedt in the first round. Maybe work a deal with the Kraken for Driedger after the expansion draft.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Did we forget this already.
Kings hire Blake as assistant general manager - Sportsnet.ca

That was 2013! Blake Replaced Hextall as assisted GM.

Blake was on board for the cup runs(mostly learning on the job) and post failures. So while most can criticize Lombardi for his post cup trades, Blake was also part of those failures. I really hope he learn from Dean on how to build a contender while using using his experience in the post cup years at not sacrificing the future for quick fixes.

Reactions: illegal_stick

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If Rob Blake is let go, the Kings need to look strictly outside of the the organization. Someone like a long term assistant NHL GM or long time OHL/WHL/QMJHL GM. No more alumni. This team needs fresh blood with no distorted point of view based on sentimental feelings or prior relationships with the team. I wish we got Yzerman. I do like our prospect pool and I do think Blake has done an overall good job, BUT now we're in the hot zone. The next 3 years will determine if the Kings are going to be an actual contender or a floundering failure. If it's the latter a new GM will be needed to start a rebuild again (if you even call this a rebuild) and we'll be no different than Buffalo or New Jersey.

But let's be real, if Blake is let go we all know Luc will be the new GM.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Did we forget this already.
Kings hire Blake as assistant general manager - Sportsnet.ca

That was 2013! Blake Replaced Hextall as assisted GM.

Blake was on board for the cup runs(mostly learning on the job) and post failures. So while most can criticize Lombardi for his post cup trades, Blake was also part of those failures. I really hope he learn from Dean on how to build a contender while using using his experience in the post cup years at not sacrificing the future for quick fixes.

Wasn’t Blake basically GM of the Reign? If so, I guess he’s got a Calder cup on the resume. News to me.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Goodrow can be counted on to do things that win games. Brown cannot anymore.

Empty goals in an empty season completely bereft of any kind of team game. No leadership, just floating and cherry picking.

Leading the Kings in goals is like celebrating the whopper being the top selling item at Burger King. Both are a shit sandwich no matter how you qualify it.
Yeah but have you tried the new spicy chicken sandwich?

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If Rob Blake is let go, the Kings need to look strictly outside of the the organization. Someone like a long term assistant NHL GM or long time OHL/WHL/QMJHL GM. No more alumni. This team needs fresh blood with no distorted point of view based on sentimental feelings or prior relationships with the team. I wish we got Yzerman. I do like our prospect pool and I do think Blake has done an overall good job, BUT now we're in the hot zone. The next 3 years will determine if the Kings are going to be an actual contender or a floundering failure. If it's the latter a new GM will be needed to start a rebuild again (if you even call this a rebuild) and we'll be no different than Buffalo or New Jersey.

But let's be real, if Blake is let go we all know Luc will be the new GM.

I’m fine with nepotism if the results are there. For example, if the coaches were something like Scuderi, Willie Mitchell and JW, I’d be more interested in the Kings than today. However we’re more likely to see CJ, Stoll and Greener.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Wasn’t Blake basically GM of the Reign? If so, I guess he’s got a Calder cup on the resume. News to me.

"Blake will assist Dean Lombardi in hockey operations for the Kings and will also serve as GM of Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs."

He was getting groomed as the next GM.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah but have you tried the new spicy chicken sandwich?

I haven't really ate at fast food burger joints in decades. But back in the 80's when i did, the one and only thing i actually liked at BK was the weird, long fried chicken sandwich thing. It was on a sub type roll/bun. Not really sure it was 100% real chicken -- but dang it was good & juicy when eaten hot. That was my go-to item at Burger King back then.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I haven't really ate at fast food burger joints in decades. But back in the 80's when i did, the one and only thing i actually liked at BK was the weird, long fried chicken sandwich thing. It was on a sub type roll/bun. Not really sure it was 100% real chicken -- but dang it was good & juicy when eaten hot. That was my go-to item at Burger King back then.
Yes, the much adored Chicken Log. But yeah, the new spicy chiggen is leggit!

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
He would do the same thing he’s done at Minnesota, San Jose and Los Angeles. Build from the backend out, and he would draft Wallstedt in the first round. Maybe work a deal with the Kraken for Driedger after the expansion draft.
I don't doubt that Lombardi would place a much bigger emphasis on particularly defense and to some extent goaltending then Blake has. (And I love Lombardi for that)

Although this also would look different if Byram had not been picked immediately before our number 5 selection a couple years ago as I would not at all be surprised if that was who Blake really wanted. A year later The Byfield selection was a no-brainer. But Blake also used both our second round picks on Defenseman and by all accounts seems to want to further address defense with the draft this year.

Obviously this is all just speculation on what Lombardi would do...

But if you look at the type of draft capital Lombardi had acquired at the time he started making big moves (namely Carter and Richards trades) it is pretty similar to what we have acquired through this point in our rebuild. The big difference is that the Kings at that time had a young Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick as our core (all of whom would play massive roles on our cup teams, only one of which of which he drafted btw). And essentially built around them to open up a brief cup window.

I have a hard time believing that if he was to take this team over now with Kopitar, Doughty, and Petersen (instead of Quick) making up the core and a ton of assets and cap space to try and open up another cup window that he wouldn't go for it.

But who knows maybe he would look at a team with these pieces and 15 mil in cap space.

Iafallo-Kopitar-blank
Kempe-Blank-Arvi
Anderson-Vilardi-Moore
Blank-JAD-Grundstrom/Brown

Blank-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Anderson-Walker

Petersen-Quick

And these prospects (among others)

Byfield
Turcotte
Kaliyev

Faber, Grans, Madden, Thomas, Fagemo, Kupari

And these players available via trade
Eichel
Seth Jones

Maybe Tkachuck, Werenski, etc...

And Landeskog available through UFA among other Lombardi type players.

And not try and patch some of those holes and go for it. I think he'd be much more agressive then a lot of people that love him (I'm a big fan of his myself) are comfortable with.

Last edited:

illegal_stick

Nov 27, 2005
Cloutier being healthy still would have left them without a goalie. Still feel that the signing was a culture move and not a talent move. Would be interesting to have DL explain what he was doing with this one. I've always just thought that he did it because Cloutier was a battler and he could keep the crease warm for Bernier to eventually take over.

Fair. And same - this is why I'd love for him to write a book. I know at the time he talked like they could compete while rebuilding, but I know you have to say that for the ticket sales etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad