Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The Kovi thing has been hashed and re-hashed....but rarely, was this stated:

By signing him and adding him to this team, he should have been cemented as LW1 with Kopitar.
It mattered not, if Kopitar wanted to play with Iafallo. Iafallo was given 100% of his icetime with Kopi
and took him 3 years to really be able to be adequate to be there.

If you're going to sign a 33 yr old forward that had 5 NHL 40+ goal seasons (he probably would have had 7 or 8, if not retired early) ...and was coming off KHL leading scorer and Olympics Gold...and you believe
he can still play - they obviously did, signing him 3 years - then you do not let him find his way in the lineup and end up line 2 or 3 !! The Kings did not
have enough talent to play him on line 2 or 3 and expect success.

He got a few games with Kopi and was then black holed. But it's ok to give Iafallo 2 years, to see if he could do it?
I think there could have been more success, if they just put him out there every game with Kopitar and Brown. He probably
would have had moderate success. I am not sure, he could have played well enough for 3 years, however.

Reactions: Telos and dick341

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

By signing him and adding him to this team, he should have been cemented as LW1 with Kopitar.
It mattered not, if Kopitar wanted to play with Iafallo. Iafallo was given 100% of his icetime with Kopi

If you're going to sign a 33 yr old forward that had 5 NHL 40+ goal seasons (he probably would have had 7 or 8, if not retired early) ...and was coming off KHL leading scorer and Olympics Gold...and you believe
he can still play - they obviously did, signing him 3 years - then you do not let him find his way in the lineup and end up line 2 or 3 !! The Kings did not

He got a few games with Kopi and was then black holed. But it's ok to give Iafallo 2 years, to see if he could do it?
I think there could have been more success, if they just put him out there every game with Kopitar and Brown. He probably
would have had moderate success. I am not sure, he could have played well enough for 3 years, however.
Kovalchuk was a point per game for like his first 15 games with us too. Then that one dude behind the bench decided to put him on a line with Shore.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Mitchell was a guy coming off a serious concussion so there were legit injury concerns: Kovalchuk had Kovalchuk concerns.

It is a results based business, is it not? Lombardi traded for Lucic and got a good season out of him and the team but it was a mistake because it got them nowhere and hurt the future. If they win the Cup, it was a great move, future be damned.

All teams make both good and bad moves. Kings trade for Laperriere and Norstrom. Great move. Never won anything but that is a great trade.

Regardless, the argument isn't whether it was "good or bad" but rather K28's assertion that it wasn't a mistake. The results say it was a mistake. I can sit here and tell you that the 2015 team missed the playoffs by one point after winning Cups two-out-of-three years so Lombardi went all in with the Lucic trade because the team's window was supposedly open. Good move because you've got to go for it while you still can but a giant mistake per the result. Most everyone will tell you that it was no a good move to begin with and it was a mistake. So, like, how ever you want to slice it when it comes to judging the thought process but the outcome does ultimately determine if it was a mistake or not.

But was the Mitchell signing smart, if DL had to give him an extra year to get him to come here? Results say it was, so it must've been.

How is Lappy and Norstrom a great trade of it never got the Kings anything? If that's a great trade, what's Carter? I assume maybe championship trade is on a different level than simply great? Is there a difference between mistake and bad?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
But was the Mitchell signing smart, if DL had to give him an extra year to get him to come here? Results say it was, so it must've been.

How is Lappy and Norstrom a great trade of it never got the Kings anything? If that's a great trade, what's Carter? I assume maybe championship trade is on a different level than simply great? Is there a difference between mistake and bad?

What is art? Are we art? Is art, art?

Answers to your questions:

- Yes
- C'mon dude.
- Carter is a "really great" trade? Use whatever you think is a better superlative than great and put a ranking system together.
- Depends on how it is being applied.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Because anybody with a modicum of hockey knowledge should understand that there are not two less compatible players in the league than Kopitar and Kovalchuck.

It was never going to work, a total impossibility. Had nothing to do with players or coaches, its two completely opposite personalities and approaches to the game that would never mesh in any system, under any coach.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Because anybody with a modicum of hockey knowledge should understand that there are not two less compatible players in the league than Kopitar and Kovalchuck.

It was never going to work, a total impossibility. Had nothing to do with players or coaches, its two completely opposite personalities and approaches to the game that would never mesh in any system, under any coach.

Please elaborate. It's not that I disagree with you. but rather I would like to understand how you drew your conclusion.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

images

Reactions: Reclamation Project
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad