Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Guys like Palat and Mcdonagh have too many miles on them unless the Kings are making moves to be competitive the next couple years and not the distant future. Eichel and Laine are young enough to help now and still be playing at a high level when the next group of Kings hit their prime.
Watching Colorado, Tampa, Florida and Carolina makes it apparent that the Kings arent conetenders until these teams flame out in 3-4 years.
Making the playoffs and being a competitive bubble team is realistic at this point in time. Hoping that the young guys can get some playoff experience so they know what it takes to win when its their time.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I think the talk last summer was that Tampa was going to have to move a bunch of parts, which they didn't.

I doubt they have any sale of any player that matters to the Kings unless its a 32 year old Ryan McDonagh with 5 years left on his contract....... nope dot com!

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Guys like Palat and Mcdonagh have too many miles on them unless the Kings are making moves to be competitive the next couple years and not the distant future. Eichel and Laine are young enough to help now and still be playing at a high level when the next group of Kings hit their prime.
Watching Colorado, Tampa, Florida and Carolina makes it apparent that the Kings arent conetenders until these teams flame out in 3-4 years.
Making the playoffs and being a competitive bubble team is realistic at this point in time. Hoping that the young guys can get some playoff experience so they know what it takes to win when its their time.

Yea you're right. Too bad GM's are so afraid of the offer sheet. I don't see many big moves to be made and making smaller moves is only going to put us in the black hole.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I think the talk last summer was that Tampa was going to have to move a bunch of parts, which they didn't.

I doubt they have any sale of any player that matters to the Kings unless its a 32 year old Ryan McDonagh with 5 years left on his contract....... nope dot com!

Thats bc they were able to bury millions on LTIR in a short season. Not gonna happen again.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yea you're right. Too bad GM's are so afraid of the offer sheet. I don't see many big moves to be made and making smaller moves is only going to put us in the black hole.
Yea itll be interesting to see what moves are made. I really cant get a read on Blake so I dont know how hes going to play this situation.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm ok with either direction, there is good and bad to both directions,

If you go through the league, which, I can well, cuz I'm bored....Take a look at who they could target, (not mentioning the unrealistic like Pasta etc.)

Winnipeg - Dubois, Copp, Pionk, Heinola, Stanley
Dallas - Gurianov, Dickinson, Klingberg
Washignton - Mantha
Edmonton - Yamamoto, RNH, Puljarvi,
Chicago - Suter
NYI - Beauviller, Bellows,
STL - Blais, Kyrou, Thomas, Dunn
TB - Cirelli, Sergachev, Foote

Per Cap Friendly those are all up against the cap.....etc, you have some good players there, nothing game changing like a Pasta etc......but we have enough secondary depth like Herby was talking about, that you can make a move for one or two of these guys etc.

Reactions: Lt Dan and tbrown33

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
So do you offer the farm for Sergachev and Point? TB could retool on the fly

It’s at least interesting to think about...Turcotte, Vilardi, Bjornfot, 1st rounder this year could be a baseline package. Might need to add 1 or 2 more B assets. Gives Tampa immediate relief and talent from an age bracket they are lacking in/ELC replacements. Just guessing.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Beauviller would be a great get, he makes room for himself and is definitely not afraid to shoot.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What I'm proposing is using less assets and building a deeper team like Vegas than a team relying only on Kopitar and Eichel for scoring. This would be a better bet for competing for a cup than the Kopitar/Eichel set up for the next 5+ years. Eichel would eat up half of the Kings remaining cap space limiting the ability to aquire quality depth at wing and d.
Definitely two recent cup winners with different approaches.

Tampa Bay had star power, while St. Louis did it with a very deep roster.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
It’s at least interesting to think about...Turcotte, Vilardi, Bjornfot, 1st rounder this year could be a baseline package. Might need to add 1 or 2 more B assets. Gives Tampa immediate relief and talent from an age bracket they are lacking in/ELC replacements. Just guessing.

I'm all for trading the kids for a superstar but I'd hate to watch all of those kids go.

Reactions: tbrown33

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So do you offer the farm for Sergachev and Point? TB could retool on the fly
Sergachev is 22 years of age, and Point is only 25. If these players were on the Kings roster, are they the guys you would be looking to trade?

TB is going to find a way to dump Johnson and Killorn, even if they have to give them away, before they would lose Sergachev or Point.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
T. Johnson NTC turns into a 20 team trade list this season. Would be more flexibility.

Point would be a good one to ask about. Something around a 9 million qualifier on his next contract. TB may not want another huge contract with NMC. They seem to make due with the cap though.

Philly is a team that feels like it's due for a shakeup. Some intresting pieces there as well.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Sergachev is 22 years of age, and Point is only 25. If these players were on the Kings roster, are they the guys you would be looking to trade?

TB is going to find a way to dump Johnson and Killorn, even if they have to give them away, before they would lose Sergachev or Point.

I know and have said that before

Reactions: KINGS17

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
T. Johnson NTC turns into a 20 team trade list this season. Would be more flexibility.

Point would be a good one to ask about. Something around a 9 million qualifier on his next contract. TB may not want another huge contract with NMC. They seem to make due with the cap though.

Philly is a team that feels like it's long overdue for a fully nuclear blowup rebuild. Some intresting pieces there as well.

ftfy

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Not every deal made is going to be for someone that is 25 or younger. If they could get Palat for cheap, he'd be a guy that helps for next season when his cap hit won't matter. Buys time as a bridge to when someone like Kaliyev is ready but also adds more skill to a team that is trying to make the playoffs.

We also have to think about who Byfield is going to play with. The wings on this team suck. If you can add Palat for one year and it doesn't cost much since he's a cap dump, you have to look into it.

He has a 20 team trade list. Maybe LA would be out because of state taxes but maybe he is told that he gets to be Kopitar's LW in a contract year so he's cool.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not every deal made is going to be for someone that is 25 or younger. If they could get Palat for cheap, he'd be a guy that helps for next season when his cap hit won't matter. Buys time as a bridge to when someone like Kaliyev is ready but also adds more skill to a team that is trying to make the playoffs.

We also have to think about who Byfield is going to play with. The wings on this team suck. If you can add Palat for one year and it doesn't cost much since he's a cap dump, you have to look into it.

He has a 20 team trade list. Maybe LA would be out because of state taxes but maybe he is told that he gets to be Kopitar's LW in a contract year so he's cool.

Agreed....if Byfield is going to play in the NHL next year, He's GOTTA have some talent along side him....long term, I think Kaliyev or Fagemo might be great.....but short term...they gotta get him someone better than AA or Kempe even.

Reactions: BigKing

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
The ability to take on a bad contract in exchange for value is Blake's best card. He must be talking to several teams who are in cap hell right now. The best comp is Anaheim receiving a #1 pick for 1.25 years of Backes (they threw in Kase as well). Offering to take Johnson and Palat/Killorn from TB will net serious value.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Yea I think a guy like Palat for cheap is a good idea. I dont think its smart to start emptying the cupboard for players over 25 though especially ones that have been grinding for their whole careers.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The ability to take on a bad contract in exchange for value is Blake's best card. He must be talking to several teams who are in cap hell right now. The best comp is Anaheim receiving a #1 pick for 1.25 years of Backes (they threw in Kase as well). Offering to take Johnson and Palat/Killorn from TB will net serious value.

Three years of Johnson is pretty rough though but I agree with the premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad