2020-21 ECHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Not enough time to have 8 make it into the playoffs unless each series is best of three (meaning one weekend) with all three games in the same location. ...
So a page outta the SPHL playbook, got it.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Desperate times, desperate schedules.

Yeah, I don't know that it's a step back, given that basically every league below the NHL has to reevaluate its operations during this. The step backward comes when this is all over and the league can't return to the kind of operations it had before because of the economic harm caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and the owners and league office's failure to mitigate those harms as well as because of changes to how American society spends its disposable income.

To take a page out of the SPHL playbook would be to have four teams get in and have best-of-three series (and allow the second-best team in the league to cheat against the salary cap because the commissioner is in the pocket of that team's owner).

Reactions: hurricanesfan123

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The final slate of ECHL games for the 2020 portion of the "Mini Season" ...
ECHL TODAY - DEC. 31
... 10 hours ago

Indy Fuel (5-0-0) at Wheeling Nailers (0-3-2) 6:10 p.m. ET
  • Indy’s Peter Krieger is tied for the league lead with two game-winning goals.
  • Matt Alfaro leads Wheeling against the Fuel with two goals.
  • Fuel have outscored their opponents 6-2 in the first period.
  • Nailers are third with 28.40 shots-against per game.

Rapid City Rush (1-3-0) at Utah Grizzlies (1-1-0) 5 p.m. MT
  • Rapid City’s Adam Carlson is fifth with 93 saves.
  • Diego Cuglietta leads Utah against the Rush with four points (1g-3a).
  • Rush have scored six of their 11 goals in the second period.
  • Grizzlies lead the league lead with 28.00 shots-against per game.

Wichita Thunder (2-0-0) at Allen Americans (4-1-0) 6:05 p.m. CT
  • Matteo Gennaro leads Wichita with three points (1g-2a).
  • Allen’s Jake McGrew is third with four goals.
  • Thunder are third with 34.50 shots per game.
  • Americans have outscored their opponents 17-6 during four-game winning streak.

Tulsa Oilers (1-2-1) at Kansas City Mavericks (0-1-1) 7:05 p.m. CT
  • Tulsa’s Bryce Kindopp is third among rookies with 13 shots on goal.
  • Kansas City’s Zach Osburn is tied for fourth among defensemen with three points (1g-2a).
  • Oilers lead the league with 39.50 shots per game.
  • Mavericks are tied for the league lead with two shorthanded goals.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And so, as we enter the New Year with equal parts of hope & apprehension, here are the ECHL Conference Standings after barely enough games played to get excited about them ...

ECHL East Standings (31 Dec 2020).JPG

ECHL West Standings (31 Dec 2020).JPG

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Besides being the only team to not adhere to seating restrictions, Rapid City is clearly planted in last place. Even Tulsa's anemic offense has gotten them two victories, including one against Allen.

Reactions: Atlantian

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Are you saying they're ignoring local restrictions, or that there are no local restrictions?

They are in South Dakota, whose governor doesn't believe in COVID restrictions (and probably doesn't think COVID is serious, either). As a result, they are the only team to operate at full capacity.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
They are in South Dakota, whose governor doesn't believe in COVID restrictions (and probably doesn't think COVID is serious, either). As a result, they are the only team to operate at full capacity.
Thanks for the clarification. I asked because your misuse of the word "adhere" made it seem like the Rush were not following a guideline.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the clarification. I asked because your misuse of the word "adhere" made it seem like the Rush were not following a guideline.
RPCC is the Thunderdome of ECHL hockey ... "Rushmore Plaza's simple. Get to the seats, sit in any one you can. I know you won't break the rules, because there aren't any."

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The Toledo Blade is reporting the Walleye will sit out.

Justin Cohn reports that the K's will have a press conference this afternoon. He reported yesterday that the K's had yet to make a decision on whether or not they'd play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad