Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 1 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
In principle, I actually agree. I think if anything we should be focused on improving the top-6 as much as possible via FA (or trade) than the goalie or the bottom-6 depth. Sign a better player long term even if it costs more instead of trying to band-aid the team.

It is seriously depressing to see that we will be using 62.5M of our cap space in 21-22 with only 4 top-4 forwards signed. Our D situation is fairly well covered with 5 of our D-men signed for a while, but not sure how Vlasic and Burns will look like in 2-3 years as well. It only makes matters worse that we don't really have any true top-6 F prospects on our team either.

So yeah, address top-6 F in trade/FA and let the prospects fill the rest of the gaps. This team is never going to rebuild with its current management so not sure how long we will remain in such a state for.
If the Sharks can get one above average RW and Hertl comes back strong this team is already in a much better position than last season. All the AHL guys have a year of experience to build on now too. There will be internal options that will force their way into the NHL IMO. I wouldn't sign anyone other than Patty and Jumbo for the Bottom 6. Probably not even Noesen. He's not going to play any higher than the 4th line any time soon. If he does the team probably has bigger problems.

I agree as well.

Our team D-core is a lot stronger now that it was when we drafted Mueller. Plus Mueller got pushed into the NHL in his draft+1 year and was expected to perform as a top-4D. Merkley will be in his draft+2 year and there is not going to be much of an expectation from him this year. Its more of a 'lets see what you can do' than a 'we need you to perform' kind of situation. Him being paired with either Simek or Ferraro is also something that will give him a partner better suited to his style.

If anything, I think Merkley can be put in a position to succeed right away.
Mueller was forced to cover for Burns. Merkely will likely get someone to cover for him. Vlasic, if he's still a shark, would be perfect with him for 10 min a game. I still think he should play in the AHL to earn his way but the path for success is easier for him than Mueller IMO if Burns and EK65 are the guys he has to play behind.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No shot of that. There are so many backup goalies available this offseason. If we could not literally give him away last offseason at $1.9 million, don't see anyone giving him $2-2.5 million just because he had a hot 5 week stretch. Given SJ was the team that gave him his break, I think he can be had for around $1.2-1.6 million. Don't see the demand league wide being that great for a guy like him, especially not at that price point.

There were no indicators that they even tried to give him away last off-season but he also had a much better showing this season than last so it's not as if the circumstances are identical.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
There were no indicators that they even tried to give him away last off-season but he also had a much better showing this season than last so it's not as if the circumstances are identical.
Kurz basically made mention of it in a few articles last offseason that they would have liked to move both Dell and Melker to create space but they held negative value due to their contracts. Still, there are so many veteran backup types available and such little cap space that those guys are going to get squeezed super heavily unless you're Khudobin or Greiss basically.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kurz basically made mention of it in a few articles last offseason that they would have liked to move both Dell and Melker to create space but they held negative value due to their contracts. Still, there are so many veteran backup types available and such little cap space that those guys are going to get squeezed super heavily unless you're Khudobin or Greiss basically.

Well, I don't tend to believe Kurz because I don't think he's credible so that's probably where we'll disagree. lol

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Well, I don't tend to believe Kurz because I don't think he's credible so that's probably where we'll disagree. lol
I don't value his opinion or analysis at all, but it's obvious as a beat writer he gets told stuff by people inside the organization. Overall, I have disdain for him, but there is simply no one else in other news outlets that has the access to the org that he does or whose job is to just cover the team. Sheng is getting there now, but that is still a new development.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't value his opinion or analysis at all, but it's obvious as a beat writer he gets told stuff by people inside the organization. Overall, I have disdain for him, but there is simply no one else in other news outlets that has the access to the org that he does or whose job is to just cover the team. Sheng is getting there now, but that is still a new development.

Yeah he gets told stuff but I don't think he gets fed truthful information.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

My thought process was, essentially that Dell is in a weaker position personally for his next contract than he was in his last contract - he's two years older and coming off terrible and average seasons rather than two good seasons - and free agent salaries are going to get crunched because of the flat cap, so he's likely to have to take a haircut. What I can't account for is how many teams will need a backup goaltender, how much money those teams have to spend, and how NHL free agent contracts generally work (is it usual for players not making large salaries to take haircuts after poor seasons?).

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Yeah he gets told stuff but I don't think he gets fed truthful information.

I think he probably gets told real info as well, but is informed he cannot to share it. When he occasional does share, it comes across whining, 'no, that's not true...it was never reported until now, but I've known for months that Deboer got an extension, he can't be on thin ice. You fans don't know anything...'

Honestly the org should throw him a bone on the occasional contract or interesting update. In exchange for being a mouthpiece, you would think he would get the occasional hot tip...

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Love Jumbo, but would be so happy if he went elsewhere and we could add a young 3C that can skate and is better suited for the modern NHL.
Jumbo is still playing 3c because don’t have anyone better. He would be the best 4c in the league next year if we have a better option at 3c. He doesn’t need to go anywhere for that to happen.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I don't see Jumbo leaving unless it's at the next deadline. I can't imagine him going to TO anyway considering their problems.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was Peng. Honestly kinda disappointed. Kinda BS sensationalized article. Bergmann skating with old team when there's nothing he can do here with the Sharks? That's not news that he's leaving the NHL. Sounds like a guy trying to stay in shape. The jumbo stuff is ridiculous. I hope that wasn't representative of what he's doing now that he's charging...

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I would trade Burns for a guy like Marner; keep EK65 because he's a much better puck mover and passer, and continue to work for quality young forwards if I was DW. I don't think a trade for a 1st round pick forward that's not in the later stage of their career could be anchored with a trade involving primarily Vlasic.

Several issues though. First is EK65 injury prone on the Sharks. However, getting more offensive power will take some of the pressure off EK65, and hopefully less injuries. Sharks are out of balance in terms of offensive power in two defenders (EK65 and Burns) just brings more heavy hitting, and dirty hits on those two.

The next issue is Jones, and whether he can turn it around. Ideally, DW would also find a surprising 2nd goalie that is capable of having a good year. Jones needs competition from a backup goalie that can clearly put him on the bench.

And the finally issue is Hertl, and whether he can come back and continue his climb to being a top center in the NHL. If it wasn't for Brown's dirty hit, Hertl would have been there now, imo. Couture and a Hertl back to where he was predicted to be, would be one of the NHL's notably pair of centers.

If he can pull those three things off, and the stars aline for Hertl, the Sharks should return to cup contention next year.

DepressedSharksFan

Jun 7, 2020
I would trade Burns for a guy like Marner; keep EK65 because he's a much better puck mover and passer, and continue to work for quality young forwards if I was DW. I don't think a trade for a 1st round pick forward that's not in the later stage of their career could be anchored with a trade involving primarily Vlasic.

Several issues though. First is EK65 injury prone on the Sharks. However, getting more offensive power will take some of the pressure off EK65, and hopefully less injuries. Sharks are out of balance in terms of offensive power in two defenders (EK65 and Burns) just brings more heavy hitting, and dirty hits on those two.

The next issue is Jones, and whether he can turn it around. Ideally, DW would also find a surprising 2nd goalie that is capable of having a good year. Jones needs competition from a backup goalie that can clearly put him on the bench.

And the finally issue is Hertl, and whether he can come back and continue his climb to being a top center in the NHL. If it wasn't for Brown's dirty hit, Hertl would have been there now, imo. Couture and a Hertl back to where he was predicted to be, would be one of the NHL's notably pair of centers.

If he can pull those three things off, and the stars aline for Hertl, the Sharks should return to cup contention next year.

Toronto would be dumb to trade Marner (only 23 years old) for 35 year old Burns. The Sharks also need to clear up cap space for the future. I think Burns will be a Shark next season, then won't be protected. Love #88, but he will be declining soon.

The best scenario would be buying out Jones and going in a different direction in net, but I highly doubt the Sharks will give up on Jones yet. I hope they can sign a cheap goalie like Greiss who can split time with Jones and push him for the starting job.

This team is far away from getting back in the playoffs - we need at least 2 impact forwards, a middle pairing d-man and a good goalie.

What pisses me off is that the Leafs, Penguins and Predators have stated they need to make changes while the Sharks and Doug Wilson have been distant and quiet. This organization drives me crazy.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto would be dumb to trade Marner (only 23 years old) for 35 year old Burns. The Sharks also need to clear up cap space for the future. I think Burns will be a Shark next season, then won't be protected. Love #88, but he will be declining soon.

The best scenario would be buying out Jones and going in a different direction in net, but I highly doubt the Sharks will give up on Jones yet. I hope they can sign a cheap goalie like Greiss who can split time with Jones and push him for the starting job.

This team is far away from getting back in the playoffs - we need at least 2 impact forwards, a middle pairing d-man and a good goalie.

What pisses me off is that the Leafs, Penguins and Predators have stated they need to make changes while the Sharks and Doug Wilson have been distant and quiet. This organization drives me crazy.

Given's DW's track record of being tight-lipped and deferring to corporate speak whenever possible, his internal plan could be different than what he shares externally. That helps him with negotiations and retaining the casual fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad