2020-2021 season. Start now pushed to February 5, 2021

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The NHL gets a higher percentage of revenue from fans than any of the other four major sports, so they probably aren't going to play without fans in 2020-21.

The NHL isn't going to cancel next season, they'll lose out in sponser money and the TV deal. AHL doesn't have the luxury of having a huge TV contract.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The NHL isn't going to cancel next season, they'll lose out in sponser money and the TV deal. AHL doesn't have the luxury of having a huge TV contract.

They'll cancel when they lose less money by not playing, which is what they're looking at without fans.

"But the NHL is the most dependent on attendance, which Bettman said affects at least 50% of revenues. It needs fans, but might not be able to get them in all 31 buildings."
Bubble won't be back for full 2020-21 National Hockey League season

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If the NHL decides to play with an "all Canada" division, I'm guessing the AHL might do the same.

Could be a team comes in for a week and plays 3-4 games to help with travel costs.
I doubt the Canadian government would allow any teams to come for 1-2 weeks at a time, especially as the second wave is hitting and numbers increase again.

A few weeks ago I was talking with my BSens rep and he said one possibility that has been discussed is if the NHL does a Canadian division, then the AHL might do the same because if call-ups and players sent down. I don’t know how those logistics would work but it’s interesting that the AHL has explored the idea (as they consider many options) depending on what the NHL does.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Until the US-Canada border re-opens fully, I don't expect teams to be able to cross for games. (Now, if we get to the playoffs, Canadian teams might have to come to US to play at neutral location)

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Marlies and Belleville Sens likely will have to play in another province. Ontario has banned bodychecking until at least the 21-22 season.

They're also not allowing youth hockey to play 5-on-5. Don't know if that restriction applies to pros/juniors.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Marlies and Belleville Sens likely will have to play in another province. Ontario has banned bodychecking until at least the 21-22 season.

They're also not allowing youth hockey to play 5-on-5. Don't know if that restriction applies to pros/juniors.
The Ontario Government has said physical contact will not be allowed in the OHL. They have not ruled it out for the AHL as far as I’ve seen.

MacLeod: OHL's return won't happen with bodychecking, physical contact - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
At the draft, Bettman came out and said the NHL is now looking at season start of January 1, 2021.

Guessing that means similarly for AHL (and ECHL) with season starts.

The closed border is a big issue that needs to be resolved.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency

Friedman reports Canadian NHL teams considering relocating AHL franchises if necessary.
30. This depends on what happens with the border, but there is talk that Canadian-based NHL teams with U.S.-based AHL affiliates are considering moving them north of the 49th for the 2020–21 season. That’s Calgary/Stockton; Edmonton/Bakersfield; and Vancouver/Utica. It makes sense, because a quarantine period would mean you can’t call up players. Not sure if those teams would be based out of the NHL buildings or centralized, but it is something these three organizations must prepare for.

Toronto/Toronto, Montreal/Laval, Winnipeg/Manitoba, Ottawa/Belleville already on the same side of the border.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency

Friedman reports Canadian NHL teams considering relocating AHL franchises if necessary. ...
If the three Western Canadian NHL teams have information that the WHL will not return to play this winter, they will each have a much easier path to finding home ice for their AHL affiliates: Calgary/Calgary (sharing the SB Saddledome); Edmonton/Edmonton (sharing Rogers Place); Vancouver/You Pick (Rogers Arena & one of 5 other B.C. cities with arenas). This also presumes that the NHL owners of those franchises are ready to take the financial hit for their AHL teams playing without fans (or in front of severely reduced crowds), possibly with a much reduced AHL schedule to favor ice time for the NHL play.

ETA: Some dreams don't last but a fleeting moment, yet the memories last a lifetime ... WHL announces 2021 season start

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
If the three Western Canadian NHL teams have information that the WHL will not return to play this winter, they will each have a much easier path to finding home ice for their AHL affiliates: Calgary/Calgary (sharing the SB Saddledome); Edmonton/Edmonton (sharing Rogers Place); Vancouver/You Pick (Rogers Arena & one of 5 other B.C. cities with arenas). This also presumes that the NHL owners of those franchises are ready to take the financial hit for their AHL teams playing without fans (or in front of severely reduced crowds), possibly with a much reduced AHL schedule to favor ice time for the NHL play.

ETA: Some dreams don't last but a fleeting moment, yet the memories last a lifetime ... WHL announces 2021 season start
Could Edmonton reopen the northlands coliseum in 2021 for the condor's?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I see that it wasn't mentioned in this thread yet (forgive me if it has and I missed it), but Jim Nill in his post-mortem presser said that the AHL won't start before the NHL:

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Semi-AHL related. The Milwaukee Wave indoor soccer team has pulled out of next season, citing the 250 capacity limit at the UWMPA (where the Admirals place) that is apparently in place currently.

Interestingly, as I went to post this, the original Wave quote was revised:

“There’s a lot of uncertainty as far as when and if the Milwaukee Health Department will allow attendance at live sports events, and, if so, how many people can safely share a space,” owner Mike Zimmerman said in the announcement. “So, the (Wisconsin Center) District can’t give us a line of sight past January 1st to open the arena at capacity limits that work for us. Currently the limit is 250 and we need closer to 4,000.”

Milwaukee Wave cancels season, ending longest run in indoor soccer

Reactions: mk80

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Semi-AHL related. The Milwaukee Wave indoor soccer team has pulled out of next season, citing the 250 capacity limit at the UWMPA (where the Admirals place) that is apparently in place currently.

Interestingly, as I went to post this, the original Wave quote was revised:

Milwaukee Wave cancels season, ending longest run in indoor soccer

I saw the article about the building and how it has budgeted for nothing happening there until fall 2021. But it also said they were just budgeting low and it could change in a moments notice.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
I saw the article about the building and how it has budgeted for nothing happening there until fall 2021. But it also said they were just budgeting low and it could change in a moments notice.

Correct, that came out earlier in the week. This article came out yesterday that better outlines why they are budgeting low, if they're not going to raise the capacity limit above 250.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Correct, that came out earlier in the week. This article came out yesterday that better outlines why they are budgeting low, if they're not going to raise the capacity limit above 250.

Ok, got it, so basically this article said the same thing ,it just went into a little more detail. I have to think that they will be raising the capacity limit in the beginning of 2021. I know wisconsin is really spiking now but I think they will calm down along with a bunch of other states.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
LeBrun had some updates (links posted to BOH).

With NHL season planned for January start, there are some GMs wanting to get their prospects playing ASAP. So there might be some push to have guys play before NHL starts. (Perhaps something similar to what ECHL is doing with some teams starting play in mid-December, with the rest of the league -- less those voluntarily suspending for the season, count at 2 currently -- starting play in January.)

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
LeBrun had some updates (links posted to BOH).

With NHL season planned for January start, there are some GMs wanting to get their prospects playing ASAP. So there might be some push to have guys play before NHL starts. (Perhaps something similar to what ECHL is doing with some teams starting play in mid-December, with the rest of the league -- less those voluntarily suspending for the season, count at 2 currently -- starting play in January.)

Guess they'll know more on friday huh?

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Went to Henderson select-a-seat today. If any games are not played (with fans in the stands), they will credit monies toward future seasons.

Most sections have 3 or more season commitment to STH. And have built in % escalator. For example, let's say you get a 5 year term; and the % increase is 8%. You know the maximum increase per season over that period of time.

Put my deposit down for the Silver Knights a few weeks back. Waiting to hear back from them. Understanding that more season tickets may be opened shortly.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
All this is fine and dandy but if Cuomo does not unlock NY then Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton are either playing each other for the entire season without fans or looking for another state to play in. Since the AHL teams need fans in the stands far more than the NHL does, unless Cuomo makes a MAJOR change to his policies or is voted out of office for a less restrictive Governor, there will be no AHL hockey in NY for 2020-2021 and beyond.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
All this is fine and dandy but if Cuomo does not unlock NY then Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton are either playing each other for the entire season without fans or looking for another state to play in. Since the AHL teams need fans in the stands far more than the NHL does, unless Cuomo makes a MAJOR change to his policies or is voted out of office for a less restrictive Governor, there will be no AHL hockey in NY for 2020-2021 and beyond.
Utica for one could be moving to Canada for the season along with Stockton and Bakersfield unless the border opens up (unlikely). If there ends up being a Canadian NHL division, it will be been more likely of an all Canadian AHL division.

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019

And if Newson doesn't open up CA, 5 of the 7 Pacific Division teams won't be allowed to play. Even if Bakersfield and Stockton move north of the border, it still leaves San Jose, Ontario, and San Diego in limbo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad