Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Savoie is Caggiula with a way better shot.

I had the pleasure of watching Caggiula play hockey growing up quite regularly, high school into junior. Just dominant in his season in Stouffville while being the youngest player on the ice. Hit like a truck, bulldogged his way through everyone.

Savoie plays a real similar game but clearly has the offensive touch and shot to make it as an impact scorer in the NHL one day. Natural goal scorer. I struggle to think of an NHL comparable who's as sturdy/stocky with a shot like that. Unique kind of player.

That makes me think of Frank Vatrano. I'd love it if Savoie turned into a rich man's version of him.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
That makes me think of Frank Vatrano. I'd love it if Savoie turned into a rich man's version of him.
His scoring shot and ability to finds seams is exciting but....there is a lot of muck in that boys' skates.
Going to be very hard for him to get up and down the ice especially in a 5 up 5 back system.
Much better if we trade him to Montreal or Buffalo or Ottawa where the reliance can be on skill and more separation of duties. Of course we need something valuable back.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I was looking at Siikanen's team stats and saw how well Joakim Kemell is doing.

He's small, but 12 goals in 16 games? :O

Laine had 17 goals in 46 games at the same age.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His scoring shot and ability to finds seams is exciting but....there is a lot of muck in that boys' skates.
Going to be very hard for him to get up and down the ice especially in a 5 up 5 back system.
Much better if we trade him to Montreal or Buffalo or Ottawa where the reliance can be on skill and more separation of duties. Of course we need something valuable back.
Tbh Debrincat looked like he was skating in mud in juniors as well. Skating is overrated if you have the IQ and shot to make up for it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I had the pleasure of watching Caggiula play hockey growing up quite regularly, high school into junior. Just dominant in his season in Stouffville while being the youngest player on the ice. Hit like a truck, bulldogged his way through everyone.

Savoie plays a real similar game but clearly has the offensive touch and shot to make it as an impact scorer in the NHL one day. Natural goal scorer. I struggle to think of an NHL comparable who's as sturdy/stocky with a shot like that. Unique kind of player.

Their games aren't similar at all.

I think DeBrincat is probably the closest comparison. DeBrincat has better puck skills but both have a knack for finding soft, scoring areas and unleashing that elite shot, similar skating issues too. Not a perfect comp but the closest I can think of.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I wasn't under the impression that Savoie could be described as "stocky". Just checked at his draft year, he was listed (at one place) as 5'9" and 192 lbs. That is a pretty thick 18 year old! Hopefully he can get the feet working quicker/faster. Can't wait to see more of him. Not likely he'll get an invite from Team Canada, true?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wasn't under the impression that Savoie could be described as "stocky". Just checked at his draft year, he was listed (at one place) as 5'9" and 192 lbs. That is a pretty thick 18 year old! Hopefully he can get the feet working quicker/faster. Can't wait to see more of him. Not likely he'll get an invite from Team Canada, true?

In interviews and pictures Savoie looks a little "soft around the edges" in a way, so "stocky" seems to be accurate. I haven't seen a recent picture of him though, so he could very well look entirely different after a year of college conditioning.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He looks to have a similar build to me. 190-200 is what I’d be at if I had any muscle lol.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So what duo has been more impressive d+1 seasons

Holloway+Savoie
Or
Bourgault+Petrov

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I was looking at Siikanen's team stats and saw how well Joakim Kemell is doing.

He's small, but 12 goals in 16 games? :O

Laine had 17 goals in 46 games at the same age.
Had to go see for myself, he's leading Liiga in goals and points. Pretty crazy stats so far, I have not seen him play at all but that is very impressive.
On pace to double the goal totals of Kakko at the same age.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Had to go see for myself, he's leading Liiga in goals and points. Pretty crazy stats so far, I have not seen him play at all but that is very impressive.
On pace to double the goal totals of Kakko at the same age.
Why aren't we hearing more about this guy? Thanks Senor Catface for bringing this to light. Will be interesting to follow his progress.

Senor Catface - how's Siikanen doing?

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and LaGu

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK

Kessel? Or is he more truculent than Phil? I've only seen highlights.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I have no idea how well carter skates.

anyone have some insight?

I like the kessell comparison, but kessell can skate really well - not sure about CS.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I have no idea how well carter skates.

anyone have some insight?

I like the kessell comparison, but kessell can skate really well - not sure about CS.
Watched 1 full game of his this season, he’s no burner and definitely needs to work on skating to reach the nhl.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Chiasson would have missed that, so glad we have Hyman and Pulju for our net front players now.

Great start for Petrov, I loved the pick at the time. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Hearing we had a Russian goal scorer coming to North Bay I immediately assumed one-dimensional player. Not even close, his shot is his best asset for sure but hes always engaged defensively, will battle for pucks and block shots. Has been impressive so far this year.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
How comparable is Petrov to Maximov?

In terms of pedigree, I’d say very similar. Both later round NHL picks, with high expectations entering the OHL. Both were considered high upside, high risk picks. Swing for the fences picks.

In terms of style there are similarities as well. Both lethal shooters with good hands and underrated passing games. Both compete hard and don’t carry the label of attitude issues despite their passport. Maksimov was bigger and more physical, while Petrov is a much better skater.

In terms of potential I was high on Maksimov and don’t understand the decision to cut him loose (Blumel too). As for Petrov, I’m extremely high on his game. Both are/were long shots, but the type of high upside picks I love making late in drafts.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad