WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion Part II

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
I really hope we don’t see Blashill coaching the team at next year’s Worlds. Every year is the same. Inexplicable loss early in the tournament and then the playoff rounds start and they come out completely flat and get smoked while he puts together some truly horrendous line combinations.

Reactions: Thedogo

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Let's go! Put it all on the line. Great job to pull the goalie early.

Another amazing shift by Jack Hughes to create that goal with the strip on Ovi and pass to Kane.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If they overturn that it's the biggest farce ever. The only reason Kreider's stick touches the goalie is the 2 defensemen pushed his stick there.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Blashill wan't able to get this team playing like an actual team until the 2nd period of their last game in the tournament.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Proud of the team for showing up today for the most part but the slow start and early goal against again was inexcusable. That was a pretty even game and had they played the whole 60 like they did the last 50 they might have won.

That said, a failure of a tournament for this team to go out in the QFs. Had they played with that type of urgency and intensity at all in the preliminary round, they would have easily taken the #1 seed in Group A and only faced Russia in the gold. Treating the prelims as warmups where you just hope to get to the QFs has its consequences and Blashill literally stated the goal is to just make the QFs.

That should be the end of Blashill running this team. I just hope it doesn't sour some of the guys here from playing again soon.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Blashill wan't able to get this team playing like an actual team until the 2nd period of their last game in the tournament.

Good effort, I would like to know who is coming again next year of this squad, except Blashill of course.

Reactions: Thedogo

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I think guys put pretty good effort today but all the pieces just wasn't there. It was close game and you could argue that they throw this game away with all those mistakes but it is just reality with this team. Defense was not well balanced and it is something to learn for the future. Drury did mostly good job but with defense he failed. You have to bring least couple RHD. Martinez and Hanifin are perfect expamples. Specially Hanifin. It doesent matter how good you are if you have to play in wrong position.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hell of a game by the kid today, eh? Rightfully named our player of the game with 2 assists where he made each play a reality and dangerous throughout the game against an absolutely loaded team, the best team in the tournament. Yeah, we already knew he needs to get a lot stronger but the kid has a lot of heart to go with all-world skill.

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Hell of a game by the kid today, eh? 2 assists where he made each play a reality and dangerous throughout the game against the best team in the tournament, an absolutely loaded team with all-world players. Yeah, we already knew he needs to get a lot stronger but the kid has a lot of heart to go with all-world skill.

Also the way he kept it into the zone against Ovechkin when Schneider was out

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Yeah you have to give lot of credit for Jack. I agreed with Blashill that he is not ready but today he was great. Good summer and Devils can be pretty happy when new season starts. I also agree that this should be last time when we see coach Blashill in this tournament. At least not as head coach.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
at least they showed up and what could have been a blowout was a close game.

Props to 2 guys for me:

Cory Schneider - thank you for showing up, I hope you have a great bounce back season. You let in some softies throughout the tournament, but we did not lose because of goaltending.

Jack Hughes - thank you for coming here as a 17/18 year old kid and proving you belong playing against the games elite. the people constantly bashing you and saying you can't play against men will once again vanish like cockroaches to lights coming on as they did after the u-18.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yeah you have to give lot of credit for Jack. I agreed with Blashill that he is not ready but today he was great. Good summer and Devils can be pretty happy when new season starts. I also agree that this should be last time when we see coach Blashill in this tournament. At least not as head coach.

I disagree that he's "not ready." He's a slight 17/18 year old, so yeah, you can't just throw him out there with no thought to his linemates or position and expect him to look like a seasoned pro. Can you imagine Kane in this tournament at 17/18? It's no surprise that we've all been begging for Hughes to have more appropriate linemates all tournament and the first time he gets wingers suited to his game, he shines.

Blashill did him no favors, not just by pairing him with two style mismatch wingers all tournament, but also highlighted by moving him to wing for a game. You've got 13 forwards, all older and bigger, all playing professional hockey, and you choose to rattle the teenager by asking him to play a position he's never played? I'm not sure what Blashill expected.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I bagged on Schneider as much as anyone and he was excellent holding them in the game.

Who would have thought that execution on 2-on-1's would be the downfall for the US in this game? The Russians converted theirs and defended against them better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad