Speculation: 2019 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So what's the long list of guys we have recruited successfully:
Horton, Foote. Then you drop to guys like Commodore (the long list of guys we gave opportunities to play more minutes).

My point is if it is easy we've been pretty bad about it. Most guys we either draft or trade for.

The MacLean hangover lasted a long time. The CBJ have now made the playoffs 3 years in a row compared to 2 of the previous 15. The team was (rightfully) viewed as an NHL purgatory. That label doesn't apply anymore and I've not seen anything to suggest that anyone is calling the CBJ franchise an organization which should be avoided.

I hear that single guys might not be too high on Columbus. I'm not a local so I don't know a lot of the particulars of Columbus night life. I do know that I've driven around Columbus after games. From the Arena District through the OSU campus on High Street, there are more than ample "social" opportunities even for the most adventurous bachelor.

No one talks about Pittsburgh being a place no one wants to go because of the city. Other than the lack of other major league sports franchises and success of the Penguins, there are a lot more similarities between the two cities than differences.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Horton, Foote. Then you drop to guys like Commodore (the long list of guys we gave opportunities to play more minutes).

My point is if it is easy we've been pretty bad about it. Most guys we either draft or trade for.
Columbus has not gone after big game UFA players. Personally, I don't think they've had the structure to do so or desire. In most cases UFAs tend to get more than they are ultimately worth. Better off trading or drafting talent. CBJ has really shown dramatic improvement in that area. As for this year, the team core is attractive, as is management and their aggressive moves show they are certainly willing to do what it takes to try to compete. I think a UFA would absolutely be interested here. That being said, I'd rather spend the money on internal players and look to add to the pool via trade. Go for the bargains in UFA.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Except for the part where the salary cap is going to smack that down quickly within a couple years, because no amount of free agency is going to make all those contracts fit.

Salary cap keeps rising from what I can see. And with buyouts/trades etc it’s just a matter of moving money around.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Columbus will have Cap space... I don't know that I"ll construct a "winner" and know how hard it is to consider trades on this but I'll go back to an earlier thought and maybe try to expand a little... What about a deal with Toronto for Kapanen and Marleau and a pick (1st 2020?) for something like Macinnis and Savard(20% retained). Then we turn around and retain salary (50%?) on Marleau and move him back to San Jose for maybe Braun (RD) and a pick(5th 2019?). Takes on a little salary overall but adds, but adds Kapanen, Braun (serviceable for 1 year) a high pick and another pick this year. Braun and Marleau money off the books next year. Probably not well received but just thinking framework and possible creativity.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus will have Cap space... I don't know that I"ll construct a "winner" and know how hard it is to consider trades on this but I'll go back to an earlier thought and maybe try to expand a little... What about a deal with Toronto for Kapanen and Marleau and a pick (1st 2020?) for something like Macinnis and Savard(20% retained). Then we turn around and retain salary (50%?) on Marleau and move him back to San Jose for maybe Braun (RD) and a pick(5th 2019?). Takes on a little salary overall but adds, but adds Kapanen, Braun (serviceable for 1 year) a high pick and another pick this year. Braun and Marleau money off the books next year. Probably not well received but just thinking framework and possible creativity.

I think the price for taking on Marleau should be close to Kapanen himself. There's no way that Savard is an "add" there. Savard should return much more than that by himself. Braun is also a massive downgrade on Savard, he's slipped in recent years.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What are the chances Jarmo tries to make a move for Laine.

Or better worded, would it be beneficial to pay the price to acquire him as a potential Panarin replacement?

Last edited:

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

IMO, zero. He's used up his quota of bold moves this calendar year lol. I think the likes of Texier and Bemstrom are going to get every opportunity to show the brass what they can do instead.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Or better worded, would it be beneficial to pay the price to acquire him as a potential Panarin replacement?

Zero chance. We're short on playmakers more than snipers.

I don't think Laine is in the right mold to be a Panarin replacement. They're like the opposite player at 5 v 5. Panarin was the ultimate battler, always fending off much bigger guys, working really hard and hanging on until he could make the perfect set up for a teammate. Laine, by comparison, is a lazy lump of cheese with a great shot.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Don’t say that.. plz
If we are in rebuild mode and no playoffs for next 2 years?

He just screams big market team, Subban is going downhill and there is just no more black guys who are stars/top10 guys to represent the league.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Don't be surprised to see Savard's name thrown around as trade bait. His value has never been higher. I've never been a fan but admit he has played very well of late. With 2 years left at $4.25M he has a little term with a very good AAV. He's a RD with size that can play on the PK. I'm not saying we don't need him and I'm not ushering him out of town, however, I think he's an asset that could be used to get some help up front and potentially recoup a pick. Gavrikov, while not RD, plays a similar game but skates better and exits the zone better (granted we have limited viewing in the NHL) and Murray is certainly a top 4 guy that can play on the right side (unfortunately can't seem to stay healthy.)

Hate to say it, but I agree. Really like Savard. Would rather deal Werenski because his value is the highest, but Savard could return a very good forward.

Like Murray though, he is very important to the defense. We would need Murray healthy and Gavrikov to prove throughout an entire year that he is the real deal. Could possibly be in trouble leaning on Nutivaara, Kukan, Harrington, and Werenski defensively.

A defenseman will be moved this summer.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Horton, Foote.
I remember when Horton signed with us. It was pretty exciting that a well known player would opt to play for the CBJ. Later I read somewhere one (if not the only) reasons he signed with us is we were the only team to give him the contract he wanted.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If we are in rebuild mode and no playoffs for next 2 years?

He just screams big market team, Subban is going downhill and there is just no more black guys who are stars/top10 guys to represent the league.

Nothing about Seth Jones screams big market team other than his ability on the ice. Dude is as laid back and chill as it gets, grew up around a small market, and has played in mostly small markets his entire career.

Now this isn't an assured thing that he's going to play here for life or even re-sign. But I think Jones is satisfied here. He also lives close to family here, and he has shown that is important to him. When he expires Jones will have been here for six and a half years. I think we'll be able to keep him as long as the team is making strides, even when we suck next year and potentially the year after. There's enough here to build from. Not starting at ground zero like Detroit did when they lost Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

I have no clue what you're trying to get at with the black stars thing.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I remember when Horton signed with us. It was pretty exciting that a well known player would opt to play for the CBJ. Later I read somewhere one (if not the only) reasons he signed with us is we were the only team to give him the contract he wanted.

IIRC there were a few teams making the same offer - Edmonton and Montreal? That would be normal I think. Most of the time a player hits UFA a few teams make the boldest offers and he chooses among them.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have no clue what you're trying to get at with the black stars thing.

I think he meant that Seth will be in extra demand around the league because his ethnicity is rare in hockey and that makes him more marketable. I think it does, and he will be in more demand because of it.

But Seth is not that kind of guy. Not everyone wants to talk about their race ad nauseum. And last I heard, Seth self-identified as "mixed", not "black", which I take as a cue that he doesn't want to talk about being black. He's not going to go somewhere to seek out that kind of attention.

My guess is that Seth will be a Blue Jacket for life unless the team completely implodes. He's not a glitz and glam guy, he's tight with Boone and Josh, etc...

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Oh man, it would be funny to bet against all of your 3 accounts, but i'm too nice. :)

Seth Jones will have a bidding war, Panarin will never see even in his wet dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad