NCAA: 2019 off season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Fields is good. OSU will continue the winning with Day.

I hope. I'm not sure he was the right replacement but I have this suspicion Urban will be more involved than spewed. When he left Florida he flat out quit. He still has a powerful position. Hell, he probably will get old man Smith's job. He's still kind of coach without the title.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
More importantly, Tate's real name is "Tathan". Can't say I'm totally surprised by this. His mom is a piece of work.

On another topic, I'm already having CFB withdrawals. Already set the recording for the East West Shrine Game. If my guide didn't only go 12 days in advance, I'd have the Senior Bowl recording set as well.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This is getting out of hand. They need to do something about transfering. This is like free agency at this point. I can get it if you're a guy like Hurts who has been replaced but some of these guys are just panicking when a guy like Fields hasn't even been given the green light to play next season even. Even if he is, why not try to beat him out in camp this year then transfer next year when you don't?

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This is getting out of hand. They need to do something about tranfering. This is like free agency at this point. I can get it if you're a guy like Hurts who has been replaced but some of these guys are just panicking when a guy like Fields hasn't even been given the green light to play next season even. Even if he is, why not try to beat him out in camp this year then tranfer next year when you don't?

Coaches do it without punishment. Players should be allowed to as well.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Coaches do it without punishment. Players should be allowed to as well.

They're taking a job for a better job. This usually impacts the lower end of D1. Not the power conferences unless you're leaving a school like Vanderbilt for like Wisconsin or something. The program has a foundation, theres a reason the coach is leaving. Take a guy like Martell, no way to say he will have a better career at Miami than he would have had at Ohio State. Will it work out better for Hurts at Oklahoma? He atleast probably ends up in a QB competition. He's not a real NFL QB anyway but it's better to play or have a chance than to sit but the team itself probably won't be better.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Martell was never going to start at Ohio State. His fate was sealed the moment Fields signed on the dotted line. There wasn’t going to be any competition.

At Miami he’s very likely a starter there whether next year or 2020 (whenever he’s eligible to play). Their QB depth chart is pretty terrible & they don’t even have a QB in their recruiting class to boot.

Yes he took a downgrade in quality of school from Ohio State to Miami but he’s actually going to play a lot at the latter opposed to being practice fodder at the former. So his situation actually improved if anything.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Martell was never going to start at Ohio State. His fate was sealed the moment Fields signed on the dotted line. There wasn’t going to be any competition.

At Miami he’s very likely a starter there whether next year or 2020 (whenever he’s eligible to play). Their QB depth chart is pretty terrible & they don’t even have a QB in their recruiting class to boot.

Yes he took a downgrade in quality of school from Ohio State to Miami but he’s actually going to play a lot at the latter opposed to being practice fodder at the former. So his situation actually improved if anything.

Sometimees that happen but a guy like Hurts will be LUCKY to play at Oklahoma. I just wish they would control the transfering because its just making the rich, richer. It's becoming the wild west. They all shouldn't be allowed to immediately play. You used to see guys have to sit out a year. I'm fine with graduate transfers because they've served their dues and are limited time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sometimees that happen but a guy like Hurts will be LUCKY to play at Oklahoma. I just wish they would control the transfering because its just making the rich, richer. It's becoming the wild west. They all shouldn't be allowed to immediately play. You used to see guys have to sit out a year. I'm fine with graduate transfers because they've served their dues and are limited time.

Majority of the transfers are kids who got passed over on the depth chart even Hurts himself. The rich are often the teams filling up the transfer portal these days.

Alabama & the same other teams that populate the top ten in recruiting every same year with 20+ kids a class do so because they process kids who don’t really have value to them anymore.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They're taking a job for a better job. This usually impacts the lower end of D1. Not the power conferences unless you're leaving a school like Vanderbilt for like Wisconsin or something. The program has a foundation, theres a reason the coach is leaving. Take a guy like Martell, no way to say he will have a better career at Miami than he would have had at Ohio State. Will it work out better for Hurts at Oklahoma? He atleast probably ends up in a QB competition. He's not a real NFL QB anyway but it's better to play or have a chance than to sit but the team itself probably won't be better.

Ok so why are you whining about players?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Majority of the transfers are kids who got passed over on the depth chart even Hurts himself. The rich are often the teams filling up the transfer portal these days.

Alabama & the same other teams that populate the top ten in recruiting every same year with 20+ kids a class do so because they process kids who don’t really have value to them anymore.

I can understand this but I think they can run the system better than they do. They should create a roster limit. Theres no need to have like 4 or 4 QBs on a roster. They allow teams to stockpile. They get nothing when a kid blows town. Scholarships are given out like candy. The only way I can see there being a real change is forcing every kid on a scholarship to play, if they don't make it on the field they shouldn't have one. It's the equivelant to a guaranteed contract. I know the NCAA has a limit but they don't enforce how they are used.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Ok so why are you whining about players?

Quite a few players have a guaranteed contract which is a scholarship. The school invested in them. They could have given that easily to someone else. Usually at least in the pros the contracts are not fully guaranteed. Thoaw coaches get fired though generally. I'm almost positive college has to have opt out clauses because of the possibility of taking another job. So i'm sure they leave money on the table. This kid transferring who had a free ticket gives you nothing in reimbursement for having brought him in, no tuition, no nothing and is probably leaving and is going to his new school still for free or if he's a grad student at a very cheap price.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Quite a few players have a guaranteed contract which is a scholarship. The school invested in them. They could have given that easily to someon
e else. Usually at least in the pros the contracts are not fully guaranteed. Thoaw coaches get fired though generally. I'm almost positive college has to have opt out clauses because of the possibility of taking another job. So i'm sure they leave money on the table. This kid transferring who had a free ticket gives you nothing in reimbursement for having brought him in, no tuition, no nothing and is probably leaving and is going to his new school still for free or if he's a grad student at a very cheap price.

A scholarship is not a contract. It isn't guaranteed either. Football is the biggest revenue generator at these schools. The players have zero power. They generate more money than the scholarships they get are worth. Coaches can move freely from job to job with no punishment. Without the players, these coaches wouldn't be making the money they are. Why not give them a little control over their future? It has no bearing on you.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
A scholarship is not a contract. It isn't guaranteed either. Football is the biggest revenue generator at these schools. The players have zero power. They generate more money than the scholarships they get are worth. Coaches can move freely from job to job with no punishment. Without the players, these coaches wouldn't be making the money they are. Why not give them a little control over their future? It has no bearing on you.

It gives you a free ride, otherwise you'd be paying out of pocket to get to school. A lot of these guys academically aren't even qualified to get into these places. No amaeteurs have power. Theres a lot in play in money, the games being on TV doesn't hurt. Some of these conferences have channels now. Hell the SEC is alligned with ESPN, Big Ten with FOX. The scholarships are a safety net. Most of the masses are paying for the indoctrination institutions. Your average student can't afford a transfer. Being a coach is no different than anyother adult job in the world. People should be able to work where they want. This isn't work, playing football is a luxury, not a necessity. They could go to school for something useful, or they could go to a trade skill and learn something really worthwhile. They aren't being paid but they get perks your average student doesn't. It's hard to feel bad for them. TV has more to do with the funny money for the coaches than the players. People watch/root for certain teams based on reputation, players come and go every 3 or 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad