Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 6

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I get that he just retired but you can’t actually believe he was a good defenseman. He worked ok thanks to Hedman but in any other situation he wouldn’t have done ****. Definitely not worth the 3 mil we were paying him. We could’ve signed any league minimum Dman to do the same thing he did.

I think "any" minimum Dman is a huuuuge stretch.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yup. The sweep rendered all future regular seasons meaningless. CBJ ****ed up the enjoyment we can get out of hockey October - April.

Vicious.
All future regular seasons is a bit much. There will be a down cycle for this team again at some point and then we will enjoy the regular seasons where they get back on the upswing.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
42DE173E-97CC-43BF-B927-5E9A8E4174A9.png

The charts say we suck. Might as well blow the team up.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Really love a lineup that includes Witko’s toughness and forecheck on the 4th line. Maroon somewhere on top 9 and Witko on fourth would be ideal. I dont mind sacrificing a bit of offense for grit and toughness on this team.

Richard Cranium

Aug 17, 2019
Really love a lineup that includes Witko’s toughness and forecheck on the 4th line. Maroon somewhere on top 9 and Witko on fourth would be ideal. I dont mind sacrificing a bit of offense for grit and toughness on this team.
Agreed. Even if Witko is the 13th, and subbing in every other game, just to rest some regulars throughout the season, he adds another element to round it all out. Versatile guy too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I like Maroon and Witkowski over Martel but I don't want them playing instead of Verheaghe or Volkov. I think if Witkowski stays up, still think he should go to Syracuse, him and Maroon should split games. 41 for each of them will keep them fresh every night, maybe a game vs Boston or some other heavy team we play them both.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I appreciate the all-around effort by JBB to get more grit on the team even if the players are not all that great. If there's any complaint I had of the SFY years it's that our toughest dude on a given night was Callahan or Coburn. We had the most talented lineup on ice but it was milquetoast. We never had some big nasty mother like Witkowski whose sole purpose was to kill people. Schenn interjects himself into every skirmish and Big Rig won my heart when he said "Kiss the ring" to the Nashville bench. I was being too bold when I said "This is the year we win it all" a week or so ago but chalk that up to me just being in a good mood at the time and projecting it. But going into this season I'm more optimistic now than I have ever been since 2014-2015. On opening night my heart told me we were getting as far as the ECF and in 2010 I had the same feeling too. We'll see if my gut holds up this year.

But in the end there's just something about the interjection of mercenary mentality into our lineup that sits well with me and I think it's an element we've been lacking for a very long time now. We've always had our core of guys but they weren't always the toughest bunch mentally or physically. But now you've got guys like Schenn, Witkowski, Maroon and Shattenkirk and they're all mad as hell with something to prove coming into a locker room that's mad as well with something to prove.

I love it. And I'm on record that if this core can't get it done this year then we need to fire Cooper (I would have done so already or stripped Stamkos of captaincy) and adopt the 80's "Bad Boys" Pistons mentality because it's the only thing we haven't done yet besides becoming a trap team. This lineup is good enough to win it all but it hasn't had the right attitude in my estimation.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I appreciate the all-around effort by JBB to get more grit on the team even if the players are not all that great. If there's any complaint I had of the SFY years it's that our toughest dude on a given night was Callahan or Coburn. We had the most talented lineup on ice but it was milquetoast. We never had some big nasty mother like Witkowski whose sole purpose was to kill people. Schenn interjects himself into every skirmish and Big Rig won my heart when he said "Kiss the ring" to the Nashville bench. I was being too bold when I said "This is the year we win it all" a week or so ago but chalk that up to me just being in a good mood at the time and projecting it. But going into this season I'm more optimistic now than I have ever been since 2014-2015. On opening night my heart told me we were getting as far as the ECF and in 2010 I had the same feeling too. We'll see if my gut holds up this year.

But in the end there's just something about the interjection of mercenary mentality into our lineup that sits well with me and I think it's an element we've been lacking for a very long time now. We've always had our core of guys but they weren't always the toughest bunch mentally or physically. But now you've got guys like Schenn, Witkowski, Maroon and Shattenkirk and they're all mad as hell with something to prove coming into a locker room that's mad as well with something to prove.

I love it. And I'm on record that if this core can't get it done this year then we need to fire Cooper (I would have done so already or stripped Stamkos of captaincy) and adopt the 80's "Bad Boys" Pistons mentality because it's the only thing we haven't done yet besides becoming a trap team. This lineup is good enough to win it all but it hasn't had the right attitude in my estimation.

I agree with Everything you said! Great post

This team is special. The grit is HUGE and Verhaeghe will impress! And... Shatty will impress a lot more then all you thought in the offseason

The only thing. Stammer will never be stripped of his captaincy. Nor should he

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad