Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
People want to improve the team by replacing someone like Palat/Gourde, not necessarily just add money. Some people want a real change and not necessarily standing pat and hoping the young guys improve and make us better. It doesnt always work like that. Dotchin regressed big time. Serge didnt take a huge step forward. Not everyone thinks we have all the time in the world just to be patient.

For every kid we've had success developing, theres been a good trade/UFA signing. Coburn, Stralman, McD, Bishop, etc were all good signings. Who knows what's gonna work - it's all a crap shoot.

However, the one thing a lot of folks think we need is a good, gritty, top 6 leader (not a plug like Morrow or Kunitz).

Palat I can see being moved down the lineup, which is where I move Cirelli up, but Gourde shouldn't. He took a little step back last year but the year prior he was just as good as Pavelski was. The last two postseasons he played 21 games he has 3g 5a 8p, 1g 4a 5p at ES. Pavelski played 23 games 6g 11a 17p, but ES 2g 6a 8p playing close to 4 more minutes a night. Is Pavelski really that much better?

Those UFA signings or trades worked out because we lacked depth back then. We had enough depth that we were able to trade Miller for futures. We don't have a real need for an impact player, not do we even have the money for one, we just need someone to challenge Ruuta for a spot.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Palat I can see being moved down the lineup, which is where I move Cirelli up, but Gourde shouldn't. He took a little step back last year but the year prior he was just as good as Pavelski was. The last two postseasons he played 21 games he has 3g 5a 8p, 1g 4a 5p at ES. Pavelski played 23 games 6g 11a 17p, but ES 2g 6a 8p playing close to 4 more minutes a night. Is Pavelski really that much better?

Those UFA signings or trades worked out because we lacked depth back then. We had enough depth that we were able to trade Miller for futures. We don't have a real need for an impact player, not do we even have the money for one, we just need someone to challenge Ruuta for a spot.
The Blue Jackets say hi

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

You don't have to worry about that anymore, Pavelski to Dallas all but confirmed.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm not going to argue with that but Palat/Gourde have been demonstrable liabilities for 2 years in a row in the playoffs. WE need players in the top 6 that can play 82+ games, not just 50 or 60.

I just posted the difference between Gourde and Pavelski in the playoffs the last two years. ES Pavelski isn't giving us much more and when you factor ice time Gourde is better. PP Pavelski is better but he also gets a ton of time there while Gourde doesn't. We scored 8 goals in the 4 games last year Palat and Gourde were two of those goal scorers. Palat was 4th in scoring for us in last year's playoffs. Gourde had the same amount of ES points in last year's playofs as Stamkos with 4.

I would like to see more out of both players because they are getting good top 6 minutes and opportunity with Stamkos so you expect better results. They haven't been that bad, well Palat this year was subpar. But the whole playoff failure part that they are getting is just wrong. Stamkos hasn't done shit outside the PP the last two years. Kucherov and Johnson didn't show this year while Point didn't look to good and Vasilevskiy was a dumpster fire. If we could find a trade that makes sense, youngish top 4 RD making 4mil I'll be all over it but I don't see that deal out there. Let's give them 25 games to see if they can rebound then look to trade.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

And now he's back to harass us some more. Brett's been everywhere man!

Reactions: Todd1a

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Zucc - Minn
Pavs - Dallas
Bob - Florida
Connelly - Florida
Duchene - Nashville

I'd be interested in Perry, Lee or Ferland

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Woah, Ekland has it as a rumor of Anders Lee to Montreal...wow

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Not really, we can't offer the kind of cash they want. Pavs wants 3-4 years at $7 million AAV. No way, and I'm glad we walked away.
Yes, it's a too big salary for us right now.
We cannot match this offer, unfortunately.
But I really hope we'll be able to acquire a (good) veteran.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Yes, it's a too big salary for us right now.
We cannot match this offer, unfortunately.
But I really hope we'll be able to acquire a (good) veteran.

Not holding my breath unless Gourde and/or Palat are moved in the next few hours.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Not holding my breath unless Gourde and/or Palat are moved in the next few hours.
Yes, the big problem is moving Gourde and/or Palat.
And my prediction is...neither Palat nor Gourde will be traded in the next hours.
So we'll stand pat and maybe we'll add a Dman.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Yes, the big problem is moving Gourde and/or Palat.
And my prediction is...neither Palat nor Gourde will be traded in the next hours.
So we'll stand pat and maybe we'll add a Dman.

Sadly, I think you're right. Drej isn't right so if he looks bad early on or gets hurt again, it's an ominous development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad