Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
First order of business is DSP. Either he gets claimed or is sent down. I don’t think he’s going to be a happy camper in Hershey and could throw off chemistry, given the fact he’s been irate since being waived. Hopefully for him he gets another opportunity to play in the NHL and I think he gets claimed.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Reirden yesterday:
“There is lots going on right now. We’re always trying to improve our team and the direction we’re going and get better. There are lots of moving parts right now in a number of different spots.”

This amount of smoke just doesn’t seem like a minor move, such as a fourth line pickup and call it a day. We will see soon!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
2nd order may be slotting "flats" Siggy on the active roster. Sure its just a callup but does have roster/cap ramifications.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone care to make any bold predictions?

I can still see them moving on from Burakovsky despite an uptick in his recent play. But I only see that happening if they land someone of the Stone/Duchene variety and not some milquetoast third line replacement.

My pipe dream remains Mark Stone. I don't know if the Capitals could or should give up what is necessary to land him, but he would undoubtedly move the needle the most for this team.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Anyone care to make any bold predictions?

I can still see them moving on from Burakovsky despite an uptick in his recent play. But I only see that happening if they land someone of the Stone/Duchene variety and not some milquetoast third line replacement.

There’s so many available pieces this year it’s kind of tough!!

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Assets I'm looking to give away:
  • Burakovsky
  • Copley

Assets I'm okay with parting with for the right price:
  • Bowey
  • Johansen
  • draft picks from the 2nd on

Assets I would need to really need to see a major windfall before I said yes but wouldn't lose sleep over:
  • 1st round pick
  • The entirety of top 9 forwards in Hershey

RE: Guys like Stephenson/Djoos/Boyd

First, I think Stephenson's having a down year and his ceiling is actually impressively high. Like the other two, I really like his style when he is competing on all cylinders. Second, and most importantly, the trade value of those guys is so drastically lower than what is likely their actual value. To the NHL guys like Stephenson are like a car driven off the lot, the moment he was no longer a "prospect" he lost a ton of value. We know what he's capable of, but that won't be what calibrates his worth, rather his value will be dictated by his performance over the last year. With younger guys you sometimes need to take your lumps and develop more of a sample size before making a call. Stephenson was never a really highly touted guy so he'll never garner any interest in reputation alone, the market will likely err on the side of caution and assess his most recent time as who he is. Caps are going to find themselves with a ton of bottom 6 forwards in the next 2 years, I'm more interested in what we do then.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Assets I'm looking to give away:
  • Burakovsky
  • Copley

Assets I'm okay with parting with for the right price:
  • Bowey
  • Johansen
  • draft picks from the 2nd on

Assets I would need to really need to see a major windfall before I said yes but wouldn't lose sleep over:
  • 1st round pick
  • The entirety of top 9 forwards in Hershey

RE: Guys like Stephenson/Djoos/Boyd

First, I think Stephenson's having a down year and his ceiling is actually impressively high. Like the other two, I really like his style when he is competing on all cylinders. Second, and most importantly, the trade value of those guys is so drastically lower than what is likely their actual value. To the NHL guys like Stephenson are like a car driven off the lot, the moment he was no longer a "prospect" he lost a ton of value. We know what he's capable of, but that won't be what calibrates his worth, rather his value will be dictated by his performance over the last year. With younger guys you sometimes need to take your lumps and develop more of a sample size before making a call. Stephenson was never a really highly touted guy so he'll never garner any interest in reputation alone, the market will likely err on the side of caution and assess his most recent time as who he is. Caps are going to find themselves with a ton of bottom 6 forwards in the next 2 years, I'm more interested in what we do then.
Copley is insurance against the expansion draft. Doesn't mean he can't be traded but there's added risk there inre Samsonov.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I hope it's not Hagelin. Even if it's him they shouldn't add a 3rd rounder on top of Jaskin to get him. They shouldn't be the team adding the pick in that trade.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I hope it's not Hagelin. Even if it's him they shouldn't add a 3rd rounder on top of Jaskin to get him. They shouldn't be the team adding the pick in that trade.
Agreed. He doesn't improve the team in any demonstrable area over what we had (DSP/Jaskin). I'd rather stand pat than make that move. That being said, I trust BMac. The guy knows what he is doing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bold prediction is they don't do anything bold. There aren't a lot of glaring holes on this team... they just need to play better.

Depth forward that will help the PK and a depth defenseman that will sit in the press box as injury insurance is my bet.

Reactions: peterthegreat12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad