OT: 2019-nCov (Part 6) QuaranSpring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I have disagreed with many things you have said in the past regarding the Montreal Canadiens but I am in full agreement right here, very well said and I think that you are bang on. They are easing the population into it. Our premier today declared a state of emergency and restricted gatherings to be no more than 5 people and he announced stiff fines for businesses and individuals that do not practice social distancing.

Nova Scotia declares state of emergency, identifies 7 more cases of COVID-19

Most of the restaurants in this province have already closed their dining areas and are only operating through take out orders or drive-thru. I agree that the quarantine is coming. Mr. Macneil eluded to the fact that both he and the provinces chief medical officer Dr. Robert Strang will be announcing the next phase of their plan to try and slow down the spread of Coronavirus in the coming days. You are correct, it is being implemented slowly.

Corona bringing together MB haters and MB defenders. Molson must be loving it LOL.

Lets stay strong in Montreal, Quebec, and Canada. If South Korea can keep this under control we can do it. It will be painful at first but we can get through it we aren't the USA.

But it makes sense if everything is closed till may 1st that we will have an official lockdown soon. 1 month lockdown, but could be shorter if we lower cases within that time frame.

Reactions: ArtPeur

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
There was a stream of people passing through a Port Coqutilam park, which Kelly Robison found peculiar since the city closed all public parks and sports fields in its fight against COVID-19.

Upon closer inspection, Robison saw that a family had set up a table and had a vehicle full of surgical masks.

“People were continuously driving up and paying ... a lot of people e-transferred them money. According to the lady I spoke to, she e-transferred them $70 for a box of masks,” Robison told CTV News Vancouver.

Reactions: llamateizer

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I guess if I touch my face and shit, but there is a series of reactions here. I gotta open the mail, then shut my door, then place the letter somewhere. I can wipe all that stuff down, but we only have one bottle of wipes that we are trying to ration.

This is nuts.

Are you in a high risk group?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
China's bigger and they weren't in borderline full lockdown mode within week 3.
And really, last saturday, there were just 17 listed people infected in Quebec.
Canada's population is also just 37M spread over coast to coast on a massive land, which represents less than 5% of China's pop. We have also seen the mistakes made by other countries like Italy and Spain, and have examples of effective measures placed by other countries like Korea and China, to use at our advantage.
We have a much better chance of somewhat containing the damage than China did within their first 3 weeks.

I will be embarassed for Canadians if we can't be like SK/Taiwan/Hong Kong and to a lesser extent China.

If those countries can control it there is no reason outside of our own stupidity and greed that we can't.

This has worried me, but when you look at those countries they had troubles and rough times but they aren't starving on the streets completely destitute.

But it will only work if Canadians buy in follow the rules. If we continue to get idiots and greedy people then we will be bummed in the a-hole.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
I day trade regularly, it is VERY difficult to time or understand the market right now. It responds in really strange ways.

Curious your thoughts as to why WWE shares haven’t tanked. I remember seeing you had posted about holding puts on them in the previous thread. Hard to understand why they have actually gone up over the last few trading days.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Curious your thoughts as to why WWE shares haven’t tanked. I remember seeing you had posted about holding puts on them in the previous thread. Hard to understand why they have actually gone up over the last few trading days.

Not a clue. I am losing money on them after being up over 100% at one point, and that was before shows were cancelled. I am guessing someone is buying shares to keep it up. It's not a widely traded stock so it's prone to manipulation.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So, one thing I've noticed is that as more and more nations get this virus and report their numbers, it seems like the death rate is between 4-6%, which further suggests that China and Iran weren't accurately reporting their numbers.

since probably 95-99% of the people who die from this have an underlying condition, it was probably easier in the early days to put the other disease as the cause of death. In Italy they were having a debate of wether to include deaths as "with" or "caused" by Corona. For now it seems they are just throwing everything into the Corona bucket.

So if a bunch of people with heart conditions died in Iran, they could chalk it up to heart diseases rather than Corona, thus keeping their numbers lower.

I think now there is a lot less of that happening, but don't be surprised if when this dies down you see stories of people being mischaracterized when they died.

Reactions: Andy

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I want people to take note of the imagery we're seeing right now - people walking around in face masks and grocery store aisles empty. People's health and food security are at risk during this pandemic.

If global emissions continue to rise, this imagery will become every day life. Just look at India - this past year, they had to shutdown schools for periods of time because the air was so polluted. If the temperature continues to rise, there will be more droughts and extreme weather events jeopardizing our production of food.

This pandemic is our opportunity to realize that our health and food security are our biggest needs as humans and that we need to do everything in our power to prevent future disasters. In a matter of weeks, our government took drastic measures to mitigate the pandemic. Our government can do the same to fight climate change.

When the government creates its stimulus package following this pandemic, I really hope they'll prioritize the health and food security of ALL people. This is why this is the time to invest big in renewable energy - because we can't afford to return to the status quo that will ensure future disasters. This doesn't mean leaving oil & gas workers behind. It means investing heavily in retraining them so that all Canadians are part of the solution.

in this time of the virus crisis there is major data being record on the environment..like they got a huge percentage of cars off the road now,and will for months ...people locked in homes for months....they can monitor the change in the environment and have real hard numbers....
Will be interesting to see how much or little effect it has had .

I got nothing against going to solar or wind..i actually got some solar panels in my home...

Yesterday i baked 8 baked potatoes using just the sun with my solar cooker. outside temp was -5C ,...i was cooking at 295 degrees F using no fuel no smoke no gas no cords...just using the sun.

when the day comes full electric vehicles are for the masses in price, yes i'll buy one ,but right now we're still at the stage of a $4000 VCR...remember those?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not a clue. I am losing money on them after being up over 100% at one point, and that was before shows were cancelled. I am guessing someone is buying shares to keep it up. It's not a widely traded stock so it's prone to manipulation.

Tough one. I could see that. About the only thing that makes sense right now

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Sweden is currently at 1,2%, 25 deaths and a total of 2038 cases. BUT, there is no large scale testing, only patients at hospitals showing symptoms, the total number of cases is estimated to be ten times as many.
Globally, total cases should be taken with a large grain of salt given the uncertainty in the total number of cases.

Thats a good point. I think testing is a bit like money. 100 CAD will have a different value in Germany or China or the USA.

Everyone is doing different amount of tests and getting results in a different amount of time. Someone can look at 100 cases vs 500 and say 500 is so bad. But then if you say well 100 out of 1000 test or 500 out of 50 000 test, while who is doing better now?

Now I hope that all the doom and gloomers who are saying the actual infected is way higher because that means a few things. 1 - lower CFR, 2 - lower ICU rates, 3- there are going to be a lot of immune people in a few weeks.

If 100 000K people were actually infected in Canada, and even worse case scenario this has a CFR of 10%, thats 90K immune Canadians in about 2-3 weeks that can go back living in the world. And I doubt the CFR is 10%, its probably closer to 1% if you have a competent hospital system and flatten the curve. So that would be 99 000 Canadians immune.

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Montreal
in this time of the virus crisis there is major data being record on the environment..like they got a huge percentage of cars off the road now,and will for months ...people locked in homes for months....they can monitor the change in the environment and have real hard numbers....
Will be interesting to see how much or little effect it has had .

I got nothing against going to solar or wind..i actually got some solar panels in my home...

Yesterday i baked 8 baked potatoes using just the sun with my solar cooker. outside temp was -5C ,...i was cooking at 295 degrees F using no fuel no smoke no gas no cords...just using the sun.

when the day comes full electric vehicles are for the masses in price, yes i'll buy one ,but right now we're still at the stage of a $4000 VCR...remember those?

China's emissions have dropped by 25% during this pandemic. This will only make a difference if this reduction in emissions is maintained.

And I'm not shaming individual consumers. That's great that you've personally invested in renewables! It would take government intervention (laws and subsidies) to get the mass transition we need.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
By the way, obesity is considered an underlying condition. Half of America is clinically obese. It's going to be bad if it spreads further.

as is diabites and high blood pressure. These aren't exactly cancer or MS. These things are probably very common in most of the population in the Western world. Especially those 45 and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad