Prospect Info: 2019 Maple Leafs Development Camp

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He wasn't bad in the OHL last year, points aren't everything. He was simply on a complete dumpster of a team. This year should be a good indication for where he's at.

I watched him play all 4 times against my hometown Wolves last year, he was fantastic. Think he had 7 in 4 games, Robertson 5 in 4.

I expect 80+ from both this year. Peterborough should be much improved.

Fingers crossed. Would be nice to get some more high-end talent in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Fingers crossed. Would be nice to get some more high-end talent in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

I'm more certain about Robertson, tbh. The way he drives the play, his motor, non stop compete and the way he can fire the puck should lead to big numbers. Very noticeable in game. His style of play should also translate to the next level better as well, IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Leafs drafted Abruzzese from the Chicago Steel as well as invited a player from that team. Could be someone to look out for when the Leafs/Marlies need a coach/assistant coach in the future.

He was also part of the coaching staff that has coached a lot of the recent US developed players in the past draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: HomerJLeafs

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs’ prospects camp might develop some Newfoundland Growlers players | The Telegram
Players in this summer’s Toronto camp worth watching, at least in terms of being possibilities for the Growlers in 2019-20, include forwards Trey Bradley, Justin Brazeau, Colt Conrad and Riley Woods, all undrafted players who are signed to AHL deals with the Toronto Marlies.

Bradley and Conrad both saw some limited action with the Marlies at the end of last season after finishing four-year university careers. Woods comes from the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League, while Brazeau is expected to challenge for a job with the Marlies after putting up 113 points, including 61 goals, as the overage captain of the Ontario Hockey League’s North Bay Battalion in 2018-19.

Another major junior captain, 20-year-old forward James Hamblin of the Western Hockey League’s Medicine Hat Tigers, is in camp, although not yet signed to any deal by the Maple Leafs.
Also from the WHL is Czech world junior defenceman Filip Král, a Toronto fourth-round pick from 2018 who turns 20 in October, but isn’t signed either.

Danish defenceman Oliver Joakim Larsen and 22-year-old Austrian forward Lukas Haudum, who’ve both played in the most recent world men’s championship, are in the prospects camp, but are set to skate in European leagues this fall.

Defencemen Mac Hollowell and Joseph Duszak both turned pro with the Marlies in the spring, Hollowell after finishing his OHL career and Duszak after leaving Mercyhurst College and the U.S. university ranks. They’re in camp this week, too, although both have entry-level NHL deals, which makes them more likely for the Marlies’ roster. Only one player with an NHL deal — goaltender Eamon McAdam — was a regular with the Growlers last season.

Reactions: smitty10

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
SDA right now is bracco lite. Both him and Robertson could be equivalent to a 1st rounder each one day

SDA did not have a good year. I watched him on multiple occasions and this is a player that is likely to let his size limit his potential. He was afraid to engage in any contact whatsoever during my viewings. likely why he only scored 6 goals.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
SDA did not have a good year. I watched him on multiple occasions and this is a player that is likely to let his size limit his potential. He was afraid to engage in any contact whatsoever during my viewings. likely why he only scored 6 goals.

Yet in pre-season last year, he was fearless in camp and battled hard for pucks. Maybe we should remember he was a 3rd round pick, and you can't expect him to track as a first round or top 10 pick.

He was always 5 years away. It's been 1 year. I am sure the coaching and development staff had him focus on certain area's of his game, and scoring might not have been as high as it could have been due to this.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Yet in pre-season last year, he was fearless in camp and battled hard for pucks. Maybe we should remember he was a 3rd round pick, and you can't expect him to track as a first round or top 10 pick.

He was always 5 years away. It's been 1 year. I am sure the coaching and development staff had him focus on certain area's of his game, and scoring might not have been as high as it could have been due to this.

Im not at all tracking this player as a 1st round pick. in fact i do not track any of our prospects based on their selection. The selection number is really a representation of the organization and scouting staff.

I will always be willing to give the players the benefit of the doubt, and these things do not happen over night. not to mention i have been wrong in the past. It was interesting to me because on of the games i saw, was a game Dubas was in the stands. This was probably the worst hes played, and maybe having Kyle there played a factor. In any case, hopefully he can get some size and confidence.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Rotenberg was here last year. That's about as good as it gets. He's not very good, so he's mostly filler.

He comes from an important family in the KHL. His cousin runs/co-owns? St. Petersburg. Family of owners/past owners. Artyum Zub and and Barabanov have contracts which expire this year IIRC.

Growler

May 16, 2018
I believe the answer to your question is Andrew Crescenzi ,whom the Leafs signed in 2010.

The 18 year old went undrafted and then received an invite to Leafs development and then later rookie camp and earned a 3 year ELC before being returned to the OHL Kitchener Rangers.
Maybe Cody Donaghey too back in 2014?

Growler

May 16, 2018

He was pretty fearless in NFLD too, but then tailed-off. Got banged up and I think the organization just shut him down. He's still learning. He was the youngest guy in the ECHL to play in many years.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Did the Leafs ever release their reason as to why prospects like Sandin, Lil, Bracco etc. are not participating in prospect camp?

I can understand reasons as to why, but they seem to be one of the only (maybe only) team to do so.

Just as an example, Montreal has Suzuki, Poehling.

Ottawa has Brannstrom, Batherson etc.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Did the Leafs ever release their reason as to why prospects like Sandin, Lil, Bracco etc. are not participating in prospect camp?

I can understand reasons as to why, but they seem to be one of the only (maybe only) team to do so.

Every team has a different development model. The leafs probably view this as a time to invite more kids who didn't get drafted and use it as a "networking" experience. I assume Sandin, Liljegren and Bracco have graduated from it in their minds too... the likely keep in good contact in the offseason anyways to make sure they're training "right".

Suziki and Brannstrom are new to their team's organization which is probably partly why they're asked to go to their camp too.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Suzuki didn't even play a single game of pro hockey. Poehling played 1 game of pro hockey (3 goals against us...).

Liljegren and Bracco have 2 full seasons of AHL hockey under their belt. Sandin has 1 full season. All 3 attended the development camps prior to turning pro. Bracco attended more than 1.

These camps are simply an introduction to pro hockey life. Handling the media, nutrition, off-ice training, etc. It's not meant to be much more than just that with some minor hockey evaluation in the process. It's pretty useless to a hockey player that has been part of the AHL for at least a full season.

As for Brannstrom and Batherson and the Sens --- who knows. Different philosophy. They also need to sell this rebuild to the fans and one way of doing it is really pumping out media videos about them being at camp and hyping it up.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Every team has a different development model. The leafs probably view this as a time to invite more kids who didn't get drafted and use it as a "networking" experience. I assume Sandin, Liljegren and Bracco have graduated from it in their minds too... the likely keep in good contact in the offseason anyways to make sure they're training "right".

Suziki and Brannstrom are new to their team's organization which is probably partly why they're asked to go to their camp too.

Suzuki didn't even play a single game of pro hockey. Poehling played 1 game of pro hockey (3 goals against us...).

Liljegren and Bracco have 2 full seasons of AHL hockey under their belt. Sandin has 1 full season. All 3 attended the development camps prior to turning pro. Bracco attended more than 1.

These camps are simply an introduction to pro hockey life. Handling the media, nutrition, off-ice training, etc. It's not meant to be much more than just that with some minor hockey evaluation in the process. It's pretty useless to a hockey player that has been part of the AHL for at least a full season.

As for Brannstrom and Batherson and the Sens --- who knows. Different philosophy. They also need to sell this rebuild to the fans and one way of doing it is really pumping out media videos about them being at camp and hyping it up.

Thanks for the replies. Really just wondering if this is a new philosophy? Was this the case is past years, I forget.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Really just wondering if this is a new philosophy? Was this the case is past years, I forget.

It's been like this with the Leafs for a long time. If a player played a full season in the AHL, or a big part of the season, they wouldn't at the following development camp. I'd say even players that have been playing pro hockey for a long time outside of North America skip it after attending a few of them.

Lindgren, Engvall, etc.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's been like this with the Leafs for a long time. If a player played a full season in the AHL, or a big part of the season, they wouldn't at the following development camp. I'd say even players that have been playing pro hockey for a long time outside of North America skip it after attending a few of them.

Lindgren, Engvall, etc.

Probably don't want to waste time on guys who have already gone through it a lot before.

Development camp is more of an introduction to NHL/AHL coaching, media expectations, etc. If you played on the Marlies last year, you don't really need that, and probably spend more time (or towards a more advanced) skill development program than you get in this development program.

I want to see the Scrimmage highlights though. Where are those?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably don't want to waste time on guys who have already gone through it a lot before.

Development camp is more of an introduction to NHL/AHL coaching, media expectations, etc. If you played on the Marlies last year, you don't really need that, and probably spend more time (or towards a more advanced) skill development program than you get in this development program.

I want to see the Scrimmage highlights though. Where are those?

Scrimmages are normally in the last day or so of camp.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3