• Nick Abruzzese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Calle Loponen

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Can you show me the official source that shows that NHL Teams have first rights of refusal to players their AHL team has signed?

Because to my understanding, that’s not a thing, and after a google search, nothing like that comes up. Brazeau can choose to bring an ELC offer to the Leafs and give them the option of matching. But that’s not an official thing.

Also, NCAA and CHL prospects are on the Leafs official reserve list. They are officially Leafs property until they are not, and until they are not, no other team is allowed to talk to them. That is not the case with Brazeau

This isn't an official source, but it is sometimes credible ;) I don't often see him post wrong things about Hockey rules (like a Gord Miller does)

I am not going to waste time looking for official documents. If nothing else, this is a binding professional contract. Both the team and player would have to agree on contract termination to allow him to join another organization. If the Leafs value him as a prospect, they would not waive that right unless they signed him themselves.

I don't care about "official reserve lists". You know who else was on the official reserve list? Lots of horrible players/prospects! ;) Brazeau will also be on that "official reserve list" one day! :nod: ;)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Weirder things have happened, but I think a 6’6, 226 pound 21 year old is doing okay in the muscle mass department.

21 year olds in general are nowhere near being finished in their physical development.

Case in point:
21 year old Nylander:
cut.jpeg

23 year old Nylander:
upload_2019-7-15_20-10-17.jpeg

Similarily, Brazeau looks like he can do some filling out... He's going to get stronger, especially in his lower core where he'll get quicker.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not going to touch up on the rest (unless you REALLY want me to), since we're beating a dead horse at this point.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
This is really getting annoying.

Thread after thread.

As of this point, he's just simply not a prospect. If he were drafted by Toronto, or signed to and ELC, that's different. The Athletic and Wheeler who ranked the Leafs prospects would not rank Brazeau as he is not Maple Leaf property, unlike every other single player listed here.

Reactions: hockeynorth

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Posts people are sleeping on Brazeau, and pictures of animals sleeping.

"I don't care people are sleeping on Brazeau"

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't have Brazeau as a regular on the Marlies. I rather see what Conrad can do.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Eh he's a pretty good prospect, he'd for sure be top 15 if he was actually our property - unless you think every prospect going now isn't good.
I'm sure he is fine, but I like others more then him. There are still decent prospects left on the list.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Brazeau and SDA looked best at camp so last looks typically are front of mind. But until they go into a pro camp setting it is very hard to compare to Marlie guys like Brooks who is much closer to NHL ready. This is the issue I have with this type of polling because it is an apples vs oranges comparison. I look at prospects longer term but I can understand most probably look at it shorter term. Time frame being closer to playing on Leafs. Brazeau is a late bloomer too in that he is just starting to find his form due to his very late height growth. This tends to happen to guys who grow very late as the hockey world tends to blow them off. A guy who goes from 5 ft 9 in minor midget draft to 6 ft 2 in 2nd year junior and then up to 6ft 6 tends to take longer to find his skating technique then guy who is 6 ft in minor midget and stays about same in junior.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't have Brazeau as a regular on the Marlies. I rather see what Conrad can do.

I don't have much faith in Conrad, but he looks like he could be a full timer for the Marlies next year. Of course there is a fair bit of competition for the bottom 6 center jobs, but after Shore and Brooks, it's a battle. Woods, Conrad, Luchuk, Ferguson, Bradley, possibly Elynuik (but I'm not sure he's officially back yet, but likely will be if he wants to be here).

Brazeau probably gets a decent amount of reps in the AHL to start, and it's up to him from there to determine whether he beats out guys like Archibald and MacMaster (who will likely be the 4th line wingers on the Marlies next year, barring an addition or a prospect surprising), stays in that AHL rotation of forwards, or is just sent down to the ECHL outright and replaced by an Estephan, Bradley, Woods, etc.

But to that end, I don't think Brazeau should be listed either TBH. He's not eligible to suit up for the Leafs.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't have much faith in Conrad, but he looks like he could be a full timer for the Marlies next year. Of course there is a fair bit of competition for the bottom 6 center jobs, but after Shore and Brooks, it's a battle. Woods, Conrad, Luchuk, Ferguson, Bradley, possibly Elynuik (but I'm not sure he's officially back yet, but likely will be if he wants to be here).

Brazeau probably gets a decent amount of reps in the AHL to start, and it's up to him from there to determine whether he beats out guys like Archibald and MacMaster (who will likely be the 4th line wingers on the Marlies next year, barring an addition or a prospect surprising), stays in that AHL rotation of forwards, or is just sent down to the ECHL outright and replaced by an Estephan, Bradley, Woods, etc.

But to that end, I don't think Brazeau should be listed either TBH. He's not eligible to suit up for the Leafs.

If this is your definition, neither is Robertson and Kokkonen.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If this is your definition, neither is Robertson and Kokkonen.

Well technically, unless he's on a PTO, he can't because he's not Leafs property. Robertson and Kokkonen are eligible to suit up for Leafs preseason games without an ELC (see SDA last year). Of course if we want them to play in the regular season we need to give them an ELC, but they are eligible to suit up for the Leafs before then.

Also, I'll expand my definition if it makes you happier: The Leafs can trade a "Leafs prospect" and no other team can even talk to them about a contract while we own them (which, while the Marlies can refuse to terminate a deal with Brazeau, does not necessarily protect him the same way) since they are on our reserve list.

And considering we are talking about a guy who is currently in our own pro system, and not two younger guys who are currently able to play elsewhere, being able to play for the Leafs can be considered criteria. He's limited to the AHL/ECHL circuit at this point if we want to keep him even in the Marlies system. For a guy like Timashov, we can send him to Sweden and still hang onto him and his rights.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Well technically, unless he's on a PTO, he can't because he's not Leafs property. Robertson and Kokkonen are eligible to suit up for Leafs preseason games without an ELC (see SDA last year). Of course if we want them to play in the regular season we need to give them an ELC, but they are eligible to suit up for the Leafs before then.

Also, I'll expand my definition if it makes you happier: The Leafs can trade a "Leafs prospect" and no other team can even talk to them about a contract while we own them (which, while the Marlies can refuse to terminate a deal with Brazeau, does not necessarily protect him the same way) since they are on our reserve list.

And considering we are talking about a guy who is currently in our own pro system, and not two younger guys who are currently able to play elsewhere, being able to play for the Leafs can be considered criteria. He's limited to the AHL/ECHL circuit at this point if we want to keep him even in the Marlies system. For a guy like Timashov, we can send him to Sweden and still hang onto him and his rights.

A PTO is an AHL contract...

Brazeau is eligible for Preseason games too...

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Gotta say, it amazes me Marchment has 18 votes right now.

People really still have that old mentality of a "goon-like" guy on the 4th line. He's a decent/good AHL'er, but his skating is really gonna be a problem at the next level.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
A PTO is an AHL contract...

Brazeau is eligible for Preseason games too...

An AHL contract can't play in the NHL preseason without a PTO because they are still UFA's in the eyes of the NHL, so it's not.

He's eligible for preseason games if he's on a PTO with the Leafs, because he's not Leafs property. Everyone on their reserve list doesn't require a PTO.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
An AHL contract can't play in the NHL preseason without a PTO because they are still UFA's in the eyes of the NHL, so it's not.

He's eligible for preseason games if he's on a PTO with the Leafs, because he's not Leafs property. Everyone on their reserve list doesn't require a PTO.

You're wrong. Again a PTO is an AHL contract too, so that makes no sense.

Is a player signed to an AHL contract eligible to play in the NHL?

An AHL contracted player is not eligible to be called up during the NHL regular season or playoffs, but can participate in development camp, training camp, and preseason.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I agree with you. He isn't really leafs property. Roberson and Kokkonen are recent draft picks. Huge difference between those 2 and Brazeau.

Rest of the posts are also accurate.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gotta say, it amazes me Marchment has 18 votes right now.

People really still have that old mentality of a "goon-like" guy on the 4th line. He's a decent/good AHL'er, but his skating is really gonna be a problem at the next level.
Pure skill alone won't win you anything but maybe a President's trophy. It just does not work in the NHL playoffs which are a much different game than NHL regular season. Until league decides to call everything the same this will persist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad