Prospect Ranking #13

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards for I think my 10th straight year. The criteria for a prospect will be loosely based on Calder eligibility. There may be a couple that slip through the cracks the first few posts because I am not perfect. Also please let me know if I have someone listed that is no longer with us, or any omissions. Comprehensive prospect lists are a little harder to find than you'd think this time of year.

Rankings:

1. Rasmus Sandin -- 68.3%
2. Timothy Liljegren -- 87.4%
3. Jeremy Bracco -- 60.7%
4. Nicholas Robertson -- 40.5%
5. Trevor Moore -- 32.9%
6. Ilya Mikheyev -- 24%
7. Joseph Woll -- 32.8%
8. Ian Scott -- 47.9%
9. Mikko Kokkonen -- 39.5%
10. Yegor Korshkov -- 29.8%
11. Mac Hollowell -- 35.4%
12. Jesper Lindgren -- 26.5%

Mike Koster
Vladislav Kara
Dmytro Timashov
Mikhail Abramov
Adam Brooks
Riley Stotts
Filip Kral
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Eemeli Rasanen
Pierre Engvall
Teemu Kivihalme
Justin Brazeau
Pontus Holmberg
Joe Duszak
Mason Marchment

Dakota Joshua
Martins Dzierkals
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Ryan O'Connell
Zach Bouthillier
Semyon Kizimov
Miro Aaltonen
Aaron Luchuk
Nick Abruzzese
Calle Loponen

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Engvall definitely has an NHL future, even it fizzles out shortly. He'll at least get a shot somewhere.

Add aaltonen. He definitely deserves it, even if he's a long shot to come back.

Remove Joshua

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I went SDA here for just the pure raw skill. If the kid actually matures physically at some point, we could see a really dynamic player.

Remove Brazeau (& Joshua from the next on the list)

Add Nick Abruzzese & Calle Loponen

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Hard to separate these guys given their respective skill sets, but the depth seems pretty impressive. There’s gonna be a lot if guys in the 11-20 range who are going to be important cheap options for lines 3/4 and the bottom pairing.
I’m gonna go with Kivi. Right age, experience against pros, experience on small ice, reported balanced skill set.

Reactions: Lauro

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Engvall here for me. Strong skater, impressive size, good wrist shot and demonstrated unexpected versatility by playing centre late in the season and during the playoffs. These are characteristics that may be useful for a bottom six forward.

Reactions: Once and Eye Test

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Engvall has the size and skating package to play in the NHL now. The only question is whether he'll be able to score consistently. Even if his offense is limited he can still play a fourth line role on the wing or at center.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I do find it at least a little bit amusing that with all the trolling and in some cases genuine concern going about with the Leafs refusing to draft anyone at or over 6 feet tall...

There's two 6 and a half foot beasts with skill in the system. Engvall and Brazeau.
And there's a fair chance we're going to look back on one or both of them
as being way too low on this list...

Reactions: Boutette

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rounding out the top 20 for me;

13. SDA/Engvall
14. Engvall/SDA
15. Abramov
16. Duszak
17. Kral
18. Holmberg/Koster
19. Koster/Holmberg
20. Marchment

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I wish Timashov progressed as expected. Could see him being packaged off.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Why no love for Marchment? He seems like one of the more likely Marlies to graduate to the Leafs in the near future. We're voting Engvall here, I think Marchment is a safer choice. I'm not sure Engvall is the better prospect.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why no love for Marchment? He seems like one of the more likely Marlies to graduate to the Leafs in the near future. We're voting Engvall here, I think Marchment is a safer choice. I'm not sure Engvall is the better prospect.

As pretty much the original Marchment booster- he's behind both Brooks and Engvall in both upside and polish, and there's younger guys with more upside. Wouldn't be surprised to see him carve out a 4th line role but I place more value on the guys with more to give, even if they're longer shots

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marchment is a 4th line player at best likely. Engvall could be a top 6 player if the offense develops.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Marchment is a 4th line player at best likely. Engvall could be a top 6 player if the offense develops.
Marchment is only a year older than Engvall and he seems to be the more productive player so far. 2 years well above .5PPG in the AHL, Engvall fell short this season in his first full year. He is also unique in the sense he has 250+ hit ability in a full season and he never stops irritating his opponents, he's relentless at that part of the game. He's going to add an element the team has very little of and I hope to see him sooner rather than later. I definitely don't get the vibe that one has top-6 potential and the other is a 4th line player. They actually line up fairly evenly as prospects, big, tough, skilled, projectable. But, outside of Engvall's new ability to play center and the defensive side of the puck I think Marchment might be the bigger offensive threat with more physical flair.

Reactions: Lauro

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marchment is only a year older than Engvall and he seems to be the more productive player so far. 2 years well above .5PPG in the AHL, Engvall fell short this season in his first full year. He is also unique in the sense he has 250+ hit ability in a full season and he never stops irritating his opponents, he's relentless at that part of the game. He's going to add an element the team has very little of and I hope to see him sooner rather than later. I definitely don't get the vibe that one has top-6 potential and the other is a 4th line player. They actually line up fairly evenly as prospects, big, tough, skilled, projectable. But, outside of Engvall's new ability to play center and the defensive side of the puck I think Marchment might be the bigger offensive threat with more physical flair.
Fair points, but from what I have seen, Engvall has more offensive tools. We will see though.
It's funny even if Engvall might be the better prospect, I think I like Marchment more.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Top 6 is a bit of a stretch unless it's in a Hyman/Mikheyev type role. His upside would be more of a Kapanen 3rd line role, but even if he settles in on the 4th line then he'd still be very productive.

He is far better than Marchment. Engvall is one of the best skaters in the system, he's physical, he can play a great offensive game while still playing a strong defensive game. I don't buy him as a center but if he can spot there then that's a bonus. He can also play both wings, which Marchment can't (or at least doesn't) do.

TBH outside of maybe Marchment being a little bit more physical, I don't think Marchment has any skill that could be considered better than Engvall. Maybe his shot, but it would be minimal at best. I don't think Marchment has NHL upside unless you want a Matt Martin lite in your lineup. Otherwise he needs improves his defensive game by a fair bit, or drastically improves his offensive game to survive as an offensive-minded grinder. If this was 2008, he'd be a lot more favourable.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
brooks has a much better chance of being an nhl player than SDA.
everyone is sleeping on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad