GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This is the 2019 draft, not the 2017 draft. Just because Nico had a great tournament and ended up being taken #1 overall doesn't mean history will or should repeat itself with Kakko.

The other illogical reason to keep bringing up 2017 vs. 2019 is the gap in talent between Hughes & Kakko is believed to be greater than the gap in talent between Nolan & Nico.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
to note, the US development program is a MUCH better option for actual development of a players skills than the CHL. Thats why he chose to stay (plus being able to when most cant). Sure wed have gotten better judgement as per competition with a CHL season but its almost impossible to blame Jack for staying when almost anyone would recommend so. With his skill level and the speed he already plays with id rather he fine tunes skills instead of trying to compare himself to better competition.
I wouldn’t say it’s better especially with guys like mcdavid going through the chl, even America’s best player in Kane went the chl route.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
After experiencing football matches in Europe, North American sports just seem tame.

Their are some pros and cons though.

If you want to have a nice time with your family and kids then NA sporting events are better. If you want to have a crazy experience that you'll never forget then the European sporting events are the way to go.

I have an ex from europe and I took her to a hockey game in the states and she couldn't believe that they allowed fans from both teams to sit near each other and that there was no police in riot gear in the stadium incase things got out of hand.

I’m kinda glad that sports here are the way they are don’t need riot gear police.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If someone were to make a a strong argument for Byram, and then Byram turns into the best player from the draft, that guy would have a huge feather in his cap.

That's not what is happening here though.

I REALLY like Byram lol. It still remains to be seen who the best player from 2017 is but it would not surprise me at all if Byram came in and has a good rookie season like Heiskanen.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
LMAO. people really think the u20 had no effect on Hischier's rise...ok

Even if it did, that doesn't mean history will repeat itself. And as BG mentioned, the gap between Nolan and Nico seemed to be closer by this time than Hughes and Kakko are now.

Plus our GM wasn't practically giddy to draft Patrick the way he seems to be about Hughes. So even if scouting services have the gap close between them come June, I think it would take a pretty significant change of mind for us to take Kakko over Hughes.

Also, I'd like to know how many people would give a flying f*** about this tournament if Hughes and Kakko weren't in it? Why does this tournament count more than the ones Hughes was in? Because it's against men?

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I don't care if Kakko is the tournament MVP, Laine burned the house down two years ago and the Leafs still took Mathews. Shero and company need to keep their eyes on the prize, and I think they will.
After experiencing football matches in Europe, North American sports just seem tame.

Their are some pros and cons though.

If you want to have a nice time with your family and kids then NA sporting events are better. If you want to have a crazy experience that you'll never forget then the European sporting events are the way to go.

I have an ex from europe and I took her to a hockey game in the states and she couldn't believe that they allowed fans from both teams to sit near each other and that there was no police in riot gear in the stadium incase things got out of hand.
I like to say the Devils have the most European experience in North America because of how vulgar the fans are, and even then it's tame by comparison. One of my friends talked about a Greek soccer club chanting about... something going up somewhere.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Kakko scores 4 and a GWG while knocking Jack out with an open ice hit and sending him home early

Jack falls to 13th and Podzolkin goes 1st

Reactions: OmNomNom

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I expect Jack to come out flying this game - he should be very excited, even if he doesnt think he has much to show the world. His competitive level has always been high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad