Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: The Countdown - 2 days to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For those who are wondering, "Most Oilers pick" refers to a general and firmly held principle of the Oilers, and that is this:

The Oilers are, according to themselves, always smarter than eveveryone else.

That doesn't make any sense because they've always taken the BPA in recent times.
Is this referencing the Pouliot pick from 16 years ago? When else have they "reached" high up in the draft?

Reactions: Llamamoto

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I'm tired of hearing this. They're completely different players. It's like saying you wouldn't draft Boldy because we already have a big guy in Drai.

If you agree that Yama and Caufield both need to play in the top 6, then why draft both? There are not enough spots.

McDavid/Drai/Caul
RNH/Yama/??

Who gets the puck out of the corner on the second line? Kassian? Chaisson?

Would it not be better with

McDavid/Drai/??
RNH/(Boldy/Cozens)/ Yama

In this case Kassian or Chaisson fit in on the first line.

You just can't have a top 6 with 2 players smaller than 5'8" and 165 unless they are hyper aggressive players like Marchand or Fleury. Yama and Caufield are nothing like Marchand or Fleury.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Broberg toolset is incredible, I don’t think it’s a reach at all for him at number eight.

He does need to work on his shot though

And his first pass out of the defensive zone...

And walking the blue line to find the open lane...

And putting pressure to forwards on down low in the zone with out getting caught out of postion..

Hes simply fast and back checks hard. There is so many things hes mediocre at that its incredibly hard to see a top 2 deman. Maybe he can put it all together over time but I dont see it. Karlsson at least had great vision when he was younger and made strong exit passes on a regular basis. Broberg hauls the puck out and makes 4 ( k maybe 8 foot) passes most the time.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
I really want Boldy or Zegras, could live with Cozens too, but it looks like we're gonna end up with Broberg

I can live with a trade down for Broberg tho

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Looking at Craig Button's mock draft one thing I'm interested in is how far certain guys will fall. As an example, he has York at #22. If a guy like him is still on the board in the 20's, I'd try hard to trade up with #38 + whatever else is needed. Coming out of the draft with a top6 forward at #8 and a top4 puck-moving D with the 2nd pick would make it an amazing draft right then and there.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Looking at Craig Button's mock draft one thing I'm interested in is how far certain guys will fall. As an example, he has York at #22. If a guy like him is still on the board in the 20's, I'd try hard to trade up with #38 + whatever else is needed. Coming out of the draft with a top6 forward at #8 and a top4 puck-moving D with the 2nd pick would make it an amazing draft right then and there.
Coming out of the draft with that would be amazing, but I think it would cost a lot to trade up. It would still be interesting to see which forwards fall to the 38th pick. I see a chance one of McMichael, Poulin, Pelletier, Hoglander, Holmstrom, or Rees fall.

Reactions: Zaddy

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
That doesn't make any sense because they've always taken the BPA in recent times.
Is this referencing the Pouliot pick from 16 years ago? When else have they "reached" high up in the draft?
Pouliot, Steve Kelly (and he wasn't even a reach, we just should have taken Doan), Jani Rita and Jesse Niinimaki. Those are the few reaches I can think of, otherwise we don't make any surprising picks. We just pick who we're supposed to most of the time.

Also, we don't have much luck with Finns in the first round.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Stauffer is back pedaling. I knew we wouldn't take Broberg, just wouldn't be upset if we did.

Still holding out for Zegras, but I'm guessing he doesn't make it past Detroit.

Reactions: frag2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Stauffer is back pedaling. I knew we wouldn't take Broberg, just wouldn't be upset if we did.

I will say this, with new management there is a feeling out process by the media. The media need to figure out how the new guys operate. Could take some time for them to figure out what Holland or whoever really means at times.

Neilsen also wonders if this was just smoke in mirrors. He said he's being going to drafts for quite some time and it's rare for a team to really make it know what they are thinking.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If you agree that Yama and Caufield both need to play in the top 6, then why draft both? There are not enough spots.

McDavid/Drai/Caul
RNH/Yama/??

Who gets the puck out of the corner on the second line? Kassian? Chaisson?

Would it not be better with

McDavid/Drai/??
RNH/(Boldy/Cozens)/ Yama

In this case Kassian or Chaisson fit in on the first line.

You just can't have a top 6 with 2 players smaller than 5'8" and 165 unless they are hyper aggressive players like Marchand or Fleury. Yama and Caufield are nothing like Marchand or Fleury.

Gonna have to be crazy lucky at this point for Yams to ever be a top 6. Probably shouldn't be making too many decisions right now based on Yams best case scenario in maybe 3-4 years.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Probably couldn’t gain any traction by forcing Broberg on everyone he interviewed like the hack he is.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Pierre McGuire: I know a team in the top 10 that sent 4 people to Spencer Knights house over the past 2 days. Hints that this team has him ranked top 5 in this years draft.
I would bet it's Detroit, Yzerman has full experience taking a stud goalie in the 1st Round and having it pan out, Vasilevskiy has been worth every bit of his pick. Looking at Detroit's goaltending depth chart, and age of starters, this could be Steve saying "Let's get our cornerstone goaltender of the future." Howard is signed to 1 more season, and after that they could bring Knight in to mentor under Jimmy as he closes out his career.

Reactions: Beerfish

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Connor McMichael is a late 1st rounder? We need to trade up to get that guy.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Gonna have to be crazy lucky at this point for Yams to ever be a top 6. Probably shouldn't be making too many decisions right now based on Yams best case scenario in maybe 3-4 years.

Yamamoto is at this point a failing project. He will not be in the top 6 anytime soon. By the time he is ready if at all the Oilers will move on.

Reactions: Beerfish

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Maybe they package him with Puju. News article today that he wants out

I don't get why everyone's saying that Yamamoto's been a dissapointment. Did anyone really expect him to be in the NHL in his 2nd year? He's a small winger who was producing at basically a ppg clip in the AHL once he got settled it. Then he got called up, sent down, and took a few games to settle in. Then he got injured. He's had a crazy season. Tons of 'top prospects' from the 2017 draft haven't played a second in the majors.

A little tidbit, btw, Yams has the highest contributions to Grade A chances +- among Oilers wingers. 0.84, the 3rd highest on the team after Drai and McDavid.

Reactions: MikeFLB

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Holland's chance to remove Lucic. If you want JP...take lucic and we wont ask for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad