Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Last threat hit 1K posts. There's been a lot of love for Caufield as he shreds the U18 defenses and goaltending so far. Would you take him 8th given his size?

Posts from the previous thread:

Trevor Zegras is pretty filthy..

Not Broberg. Think Soderberg. Bet Soderberg is top 10 by draft time.

This draft is turning out to be one of my favourites already. Theres definitely a lot of talent to choose from. Right now my top ten would look like.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Cozens
7. Krebs
8. Zegras
9. Caufield
10. Boldy

Im happy with any of these guys with our pick. Also, I honestly have no idea where Podkolzin goes. I can't get a good read of him.

The possibility of landing Caufield, Dach, Boldy, or Turcotte has me more excited for this draft than the last few tbh.

Yes. Yes he is. I wish he was at the U18. So many dynamic players on that team. That is a ton of skill from Zegras. He could be gone before us too.?

I'd be so happy if Dach somehow fell to us. With the way Boldy and Caufield are playing, maybe there's more of a chance.

Regarding your earlier post about Caufield vs Kaliyev, I think there are a few things you missed. It isn't as simple as "they are both goal-scorers, I'll take the bigger one". Although Kaliyev has got size, he doesn't engage in board battles any more than Caufield does. I also much prefer Caufield's skating, which is one of Kaliyev's biggest concerns. Caufield plays with a lot more energy than Kaliyev does, who seems like he's never putting any effort in. Factor in Caufield's handedness, and it's a no-brainer for me.

Caufield reminds me of Alex Debrincat, Kaliyev of Michael Dal Colle.

That's impressive vision on the ice.

Hey did you cut and paste my list from a few posts above? (LOL) Great minds think alike?
I am very curious why you think that Boldy There’s a tier below?

His skill set definitely seems to translate good to the NHL game, and he’s been having a great u18

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
@Bryanbryoil could you add the prospect info prefix?

As for the poll it depends. I would like him at 8 but it really depends how things shake out. If any of Byram, Turcotte, Dach, or Krebs are still there then I wouldn't. If not, it would be between him and Boldy.

Reactions: McDoused

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
My thoughts from the U18s that I posted in the other thread:

Hughes: Rough first game, but he came as advertised. Plays more like Marner than Gaudreau.

Turcotte: Not as flashy a game as I expected to see. He plays hard and puts his heart on the ice every shift. Great vision and speed, and is managing to produce with poor linemates. Really like his game.

Boldy: Not at all what I expected. From what I'd seen/read, he was a good two-way player with nice hands and a great shot. So far, he's been all-finesse. Setting up plays left-and-right and looking like a dynamic playmaker. That said, he needs to shoot more. I don't think I've seen him take a shot yet. Solid option at 8.

Caufield:
Man oh man, he's good. He knows where to be and never misses. 7 goals, 10 points in 2 games, and hit 2 posts as well. I would love to have him at 8th overall.

Krebs: Canada's best player by far. 4 points in 2 games and is great both with and without the puck. Would love him at 8.

Cozens: Awful first two games. Has a goal, but pretty invisible at even strength and doesn't support the defense well at all. I'd try to avoid him.

Podkolzin: Haven't watched him, but from what I've read, he's not been good. Pointless in 2 games - his team has scored 5 in each of them.

Byram
Turcotte
Dach
Krebs
Caufield
Boldy
Zegras
Podkolzin
Cozens

..is how I rank them right now.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
@Bryanbryoil could you add the prospect info prefix?

As for the poll it depends. I would like him at 8 but it really depends how things shake out. If any of Byram, Turcotte, Dach, or Krebs are still there then I wouldn't. If not, it would be between him and Boldy.

Done.

Going back to your post from the previous thread re: Caufield vs. Kaliyev, I don't doubt that Caufield is faster and quicker and he has the added advantage of being a RH shot. That being said, Kaliyev is a one shot scorer with more size and reach while also knowing where to be to get the puck and score. I haven't watched enough of either to say that one is better than the other, however IMO Kaliyev getting such little press is surprising to me.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Done.

Going back to your post from the previous thread re: Caufield vs. Kaliyev, I don't doubt that Caufield is faster and quicker and he has the added advantage of being a RH shot. That being said, Kaliyev is a one shot scorer with more size and reach while also knowing where to be to get the puck and score. I haven't watched enough of either to say that one is better than the other, however IMO Kaliyev getting such little press is surprising to me.
Compete level is probably the biggest reason he's ranked so low. When he's not scoring, it seems like he's not trying. That said, I think is issues are getting a bit overstated.

USA vs Russia will be at 7:30 AM tomorrow. Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy, and Podkolzin will all be playing. Canada vs Belarus will be on at 12:30. Cozens, Krebs, and Newhook will be in the lineup.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Compete level is probably the biggest reason he's ranked so low. When he's not scoring, it seems like he's not trying. That said, I think is issues are getting a bit overstated.

USA vs Russia will be at 7:30 AM tomorrow. Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy, and Podkolzin will all be playing. Canada vs Belarus will be on at 12:30. Cozens, Krebs, and Newhook will be in the lineup.

Where are you guys watching these games? TSN?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I wouldn't be opposed to taking Caufield at 8, but if a guy like Dach, Turcotte, Byram, and maybe even Krebs are there, you have to take them and run.

Reactions: B33K33PING

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Boldy: Not at all what I expected. From what I'd seen/read, he was a good two-way player with nice hands and a great shot. So far, he's been all-finesse. Setting up plays left-and-right and looking like a dynamic playmaker. That said, he needs to shoot more. I don't think I've seen him take a shot yet. Solid option at 8.
His hail mary sauce that led to Caufield’s breakaway was filthy. Big guy with soft hands, yes please. He’s who I want if Caufield and Dach are taken.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
My current rankings:

Top 2
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Krebs
7. Caufield
8. Zegras
9. Cozens
10. Boldy

Very close to mine as well. Same top 5. I think Krebs and Caufield have had very impressive u18's compared to Cozens and Zegras. The gap between some of these guys has really shrunk.

I still have Cozens ranked highly but could see Krebs passing him given how well hes been doing lately. Cozens hasn't had the most impressive U-18's but his regular season makes up for that. Hes still that big right handed center that teams covet and 84 points this year is quite impressive.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
1.)Devils - Hughes
2.)Rangers - Kakko
3.)Hawks - Byram
4.)Avalanche - Turcotte
5.)Kings - Dach
6.)Wings - Caufield
7.)Sabres - Krebs
8.)Oilers - Cozens, Zegras, Boldy

I'd draft Caufield without hesitation at 8. He's the shooter that McDavid's been waiting for.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Watched the first period of the US vs Russia game, taping the rest as I have to leave.

Podkolzin has an assist but I don't see why he's the "consensus" 3 pick. There's nothing about his game that stands out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
1.)Devils - Hughes
2.)Rangers - Kakko
3.)Hawks - Byram
4.)Avalanche - Turcotte
5.)Kings - Dach
6.)Wings - Caufield
7.)Sabres - Krebs
8.)Oilers - Cozens, Zegras, Boldy

I'd draft Caufield without hesitation at 8. He's the shooter that McDavid's been waiting for.

Draisaitl at 50 goals isn't a shooter? The Oilers need a player to drive the 2nd line more than a winger for McDavid. The 1st line is fine.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Draisaitl at 50 goals isn't a shooter? The Oilers need a player to drive the 2nd line more than a winger for McDavid. The 1st line is fine.
Thought the plan was to have Dry center his own line. Regardless, we still need another forward that can wire the puck.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
As intriguing as he looks I would not touch Caufield with a top 8 pick. The other options there don't have the same risk. Yes he could the the next Debrincat, or he could turn out like pretty well every other 5'6" prospect. I am not hating but he looks like a guy you gamble on if you have another club's late 1st in addition to your own. It will be interesting to see the new GM's take.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
As intriguing as he looks I would not touch Caufield with a top 8 pick. The other options there don't have the same risk. Yes he could the the next Debrincat, or he could turn out like pretty well every other 5'6" prospect. I am not hating but he looks like a guy you gamble on if you have another club's late 1st in addition to your own. It will be interesting to see the new GM's take.
Zero chance Caufield is around in the late first

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
My top 5 going into the draft:
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Dach
5. Turcotte

The hope is that somewhere between picks 3-7 Cozens and Podkolzin are picked. I wonder if the fact that a bunch of American teams are picking before us and the USNDP kids having just as good a claim for being chosen in the top 5 changes anything.

I take the top 5 I mentioned + Krebs & Zegras over Caufield. Assuming the top 5 is off the board, I hope we walk away with Krebs or Zegras (Caufield would be great too).

I think Boldy could develop into a great player, I just think there are better options @8.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Look at a guy like Grimaldi, it looks like only now that he is gaining traction at the NHL level. We're seeing Yamamoto struggle with the game at the pro level and I'm not sure that Caufield skates any better than he did at the same age. He could be the next Debrincat but it's not like we don't have other potentially solid and less risky options there. Caufield is a guy that teams that have a solid roster and could afford him to bust or take a number of years to develop would take, IMO we're not that team. Worse yet if he stays in the NCAA for 3 seasons to get bigger and stronger and then walks as a FA.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
So starting to look like Podkolzin will fall after all. Russians always a risk but he reminds me of a winger version of Drai. If we are going to build a 2nd line around RNH I want a stronger stockier guy there who can finish plays. That is Podkolzin to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad