Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lajoie plays a very steady defensive game, nothing flashy just does his job quietly & effectively. He should be a good 3rd pairing guy for this future team, in fact, I like Chabot, Wolanin & Lajoie on the left side when Wolanin returns.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd like to see Balcers or Batherson get a call-up soon. Both guys are lighting up the AHL.

It's also looking like L.Brown has lost DJ Smiths trust, he's averaging 3 and a half mins less on the road than at home, seems to me like Smith is afraid who he will be out against. Anyone think he gets sent down?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'd like to see Balcers or Batherson get a call-up soon. Both guys are lighting up the AHL.

It's also looking like L.Brown has lost DJ Smiths trust, he's averaging 3 and a half mins less on the road than at home, seems to me like Smith is afraid who he will be out against. Anyone think he gets sent down?

After the PHY game we are home for 6/9 games until DEC 29th …. I assume he is going down if his minutes don't survive those games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

If DJ doesn't find a way to give him more minutes consistently I think he will. From healthy scratch to 5 and half minutes .. I get there are lessons but imo part of developing players is allowing them to play through their mistakes. We are not going to contend. How much is Brown going to cost you on the ice over Anisimov as an example. I really don't think he costs you much at all. They have teaching tools with the tablets. If he misses a read they can point it out. If he has to move his feet more show him where.. To me if you don't play him send him down.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They could send L. Brown down again if they want but IMO he learns more staying here afterall they should be making some roster room soon & will need him to play for them soon anyway. He needs to know what is expected from him at the next level & teaching him while he is here by an NHL coaching staff is better than him going back & maybe digressing instead of improving. Having said that though I hope at some point he is sent down to play in the playoffs for Belleville, I would really like to see Belleville go on a deep playoff run this yr with him as the top line centre. Not only would that help his confidence it would also prove to him that he can be a difference maker in the NHL too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They could send L. Brown down again if they want but IMO he learns more staying here afterall they should be making some roster room soon & will need him to play for them soon anyway. He needs to know what is expected from him at the next level & teaching him while he is here by an NHL coaching staff is better than him going back & maybe digressing instead of improving. Having said that though I hope at some point he is sent down to play in the playoffs for Belleville, I would really like to see Belleville go on a deep playoff run this yr with him as the top line centre. Not only would that help his confidence it would also prove to him that he can be a difference maker in the NHL too.
Yeah not sure how much LB would benefit from going back down. Maybe. But he can probably learn what he needs to up here now.

Reactions: aragorn

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Strange that we opted to call up Davidsson instead of Balcers or Batherson. Balcers in particular seems like the more natural callup option given he has 30+ games of NHL experience where he didn't look at all out of place.

I'd swap Anisimov and L.Brown.
Ya would of thought Balcers would be the guy that got called up for sure. I wonder if they are also taking the Batherson approach with him; once he's called up they want him to stay for good. It also sounds like he's on a hell of a roll down in Belleville and mayne they want him to keep doing what he's doing for several months.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Strange that we opted to call up Davidsson instead of Balcers or Batherson. Balcers in particular seems like the more natural callup option given he has 30+ games of NHL experience where he didn't look at all out of place.

I'd swap Anisimov and L.Brown.

Agree on the Ansimov <-> Brown.
Hard to read exactly what's going on with their choices for callups. Its too bad they sent Chlapik down ahead of the Edmonton game. I guess they want to have Balcers in a top 9 role and will leave him down there until they are ready to call him up for that.. Davidsson did look pretty good on the 4th line in the limited time he was here earlier. As the season has gone on it seems to me that Smith is putting the lineup together and distributing ice time that he feels gives them the best chance to compete and possibly eke out a win over focusing on development. Playing 3 lines and having those 3 lines play balls out game in game out is going to cost them at some point

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Davidsson was called about because every forward on this team shoots left with the exception of Connor Brown, White & Pageau & these two usually play centre on this team. Davidsson fills a need on the right side with Ryan out & has a ton of skill, I'm just not sure how effective he will be given his size in the NHL, but hopefully he turns into the sniper they need since Hoffman was shipped out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Davidsson was called about because every forward on this team shoots left with the exception of Connor Brown, White & Pageau & these two usually play centre on this team. Davidsson fills a need on the right side with Ryan out & has a ton of skill, I'm just not sure how effective he will be given his size in the NHL, but hopefully he turns into the sniper they need since Hoffman was shipped out.

I am not sure about the LH RH reason just based on the icetime we should expect. IMO pretty much every forward we have can play either side for a few shifts amounting to less than 6 minutes of ice time. I would bet all the wingers have played there off wing some.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

If L Brown does not start scoring soon, I think he will be sent to Belleville. He has made some defensive gaffs and cannot keep up with the faster skaters, so his defensive ability is lacking.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agree on the Ansimov <-> Brown.
Hard to read exactly what's going on with their choices for callups. Its too bad they sent Chlapik down ahead of the Edmonton game. I guess they want to have Balcers in a top 9 role and will leave him down there until they are ready to call him up for that.. Davidsson did look pretty good on the 4th line in the limited time he was here earlier. As the season has gone on it seems to me that Smith is putting the lineup together and distributing ice time that he feels gives them the best chance to compete and possibly eke out a win over focusing on development. Playing 3 lines and having those 3 lines play balls out game in game out is going to cost them at some point

No way DJ plays White with Brown.... As @Tuna99 mentioned White has 2 less points than Borocop.

The rookie drew the short stick with the 4th line roll. White has been shielded from that so far.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The coach's issues with Logan seem to be around his play away from the puck which would explain the extreme coaching he is experiencing, White certainly doesnt have that issue, he needs to find confidence and a new role which he can work through with time. He is tracking somewhat similar to Fisher's development except that now that we have a salary cap he is getting paid relatively much better than Fisher did.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Batherson now leads the AHL in points by 3 and has 3 games in hand on the player in 2nd. Would love to see him called up and play with brown and Paul for a couple of games, to see if the magic would translate to the NHL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The coach's issues with Logan seem to be around his play away from the puck which would explain the extreme coaching he is experiencing, White certainly doesnt have that issue, he needs to find confidence and a new role which he can work through with time. He is tracking somewhat similar to Fisher's development except that now that we have a salary cap he is getting paid relatively much better than Fisher did.

White is starting to stimulate my little grey cells that recall Lazar.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
White is starting to stimulate my little grey cells that recall Lazar.

White looks like he's doing all the right little things, but gripping way too hard and is on a bit of a schneid. He's overthinking things and he's got a bit of analysis paralysis to his game right now.

Lazar looked like he was on safari without a guide, and being chased by a pack of frenzied elephants at all times.

I'm not sure the two are all that comparable, IMO.

Reactions: thinkwild

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
White looks like he's doing all the right little things, but gripping way too hard and is on a bit of a schneid. He's overthinking things and he's got a bit of analysis paralysis to his game right now.

Lazar looked like he was on safari without a guide, and being chased by a pack of frenzied elephants at all times.

I'm not sure the two are all that comparable, IMO.

Your first analogy regarding Lazar, colourful and eloquent, seems to be correct IMO; however, your second, entertaining as it is, does not. JUMANGI :)

White is starting to unimpress me. Hopefully he starts to establish some chemistry with another player to get out of the slump he is in. Perhaps playing him with hot players like Pageau and Duclair might get him going. However, it could just as likely cause the other two to enter a slump.

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Safari without a guide, lol, I guess that’s why Curtis more often seemed prey than predator.

There’s no guarantees in development for White. But even the goals we had for Lazar and White were quite different. The majority opinion on Lazar I recall to be that maybe if we prayed real hard and got a bit lucky then Lazar becomes a 2nd liner.

White maybe suffered from Bergeron comparisons as Ceci did with Doughty. I remember Fishers early years as he seemed to be getting frustrated when all the things that he did in junior weren’t working anymore. It took him a couple of years to work through it. White did find a role that he was succeeding in quicker than Fisher did. Now he needs to find a new one. He’s shown he can. He doesn’t hurt us as he develops through it. I think its more likely he slowly works into a good role like Fisher did. Probably not this year. But no guarantees

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think goaltending will be an issue next season if one of our younger goalie prospects does not step up. I am not sold on Nilsson being a #1 in this league, he reminds me too much of past back-up Senators goalies who showed potential to be a #1, but simply could not find consistency in their game to solidify the role. Nilsson has had amazing games, but, he has also had some terrible games where he lets in soft goals and does not allow the team to recover.

I think something will need to be done about our goaltending as I cannot see us going with Anderson and Nilsson again after this season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No sense worrying about the goaltending now. We have next year to assess as it is another tank year.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think goaltending will be an issue next season if one of our younger goalie prospects does not step up. I am not sold on Nilsson being a #1 in this league, he reminds me too much of past back-up Senators goalies who showed potential to be a #1, but simply could not find consistency in their game to solidify the role. Nilsson has had amazing games, but, he has also had some terrible games where he lets in soft goals and does not allow the team to recover.

I think something will need to be done about our goaltending as I cannot see us going with Anderson and Nilsson again after this season.

I can't see any circumstance where Anderson is back. Hogberg has a one way next year. Nilsson is signed. Bringing Anderson back would create a logjam where one shouldn't exist

Gustafson gets a chance as a starter in the A.

And we get to look at all three in bigger roles.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad