Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At this point I can't help but think even Colin Wilson might be good to go health-wise.
I mean, they were projecting he might be ready to go around the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs, which would be mid-May at the latest, and we're past Memorial Day now. Considering that we don't even know WTF was wrong with him in the first place and none of our "journalists" cared to ask, it's hard to get a handle on it. But given their initial timetable for him post surgery and the fact that it'll be close to July before they kick off real games I don't see why not.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean, they were projecting he might be ready to go around the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs, which would be mid-May at the latest, and we're past Memorial Day now. Considering that we don't even know WTF was wrong with him in the first place and none of our "journalists" cared to ask, it's hard to get a handle on it. But given their initial timetable for him post surgery and the fact that it'll be close to July before they kick off real games I don't see why not.

It still baffles me that the Colin Wilson can miss the whole year, be scheduled to return in mid May, and the Avalanche has no interest in informing their fans what's wrong with him.

I love this team, but seriously wtf? Their default mode is to not give a shit about their fans on certain subjects.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It still baffles me that the Colin Wilson can miss the whole year, be scheduled to return in mid May, and the Avalanche has no interest in informing their fans what's wrong with him.

I love this team, but seriously wtf? Their default mode is to not give a shit about their fans on certain subjects.

Honestly the only explanation that makes sense is if Wilson specifically told them not to inform the public. Maybe it's embarrassing or just something he wants to keep private. I get that the Avs are pretty secretive about this stuff naturally, but we usually at least get a vague idea about injuries.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Honestly the only explanation that makes sense is if Wilson specifically told them not to inform the public. Maybe it's embarrassing or just something he wants to keep private. I get that the Avs are pretty secretive about this stuff naturally, but we usually at least get a vague idea about injuries.
Like what? He's got a severe case of the blue balls?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Like what? He's got a severe case of the blue balls?

Who knows? I've personally had health problems I wouldn't want broadcast and talked about publicly. Just because he's a professional athlete doesn't mean we deserve to know everything about his personal life, and sometimes health issues fall more into that category.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Or it is just a case where the Avs didn't care to update the information and nobody really cared to dig into it. We were told lower body for a while and that is par for the course with the Avs. Doubt there is any real hiding, Wilson wanting the Avs to keep it quiet, or the Avs having any agenda. This is just how they operate.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And most teams do that. I do admire guys like Ken Holland throwing cold water on the notion that players "target" other players specifically where they happen to be injured. Obviously it happens (I'm lookin' at you, Mark Bumwhack) on rare occasions but not to the point the league likes to think. I knew right away I didn't like Paul Fenton when he made it clear the Wylde were going radio silent on injuries.

That said, I also get that we don't need detailed info on player injuries like we see in the NFL (which BTW is prompted by gambling anyway, so).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Targetting injured players happens way more then people think it does apparently. Especially in the playoffs.

You're in a playoff series and you know a guy on the other team is playing on one good leg, you damn well know guys are making certain to take an extra shot on that guy in the corners every chance they get.

Hell when I was playing AAA hockey when I was younger we had coaches telling us to do exactly this. If you know a guy is hurt and you can get a good hit in on him, that can easily be the turnover play that results in a goal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Targetting injured players happens way more then people think it does apparently. Especially in the playoffs.

You're in a playoff series and you know a guy on the other team is playing on one good leg, you damn well know guys are making certain to take an extra shot on that guy in the corners every chance they get.

Hell when I was playing AAA hockey when I was younger we had coaches telling us to do exactly this. If you know a guy is hurt and you can get a good hit in on him, that can easily be the turnover play that results in a goal.

And here I was 'targeted' by being allowed to have the puck.... :(

Reactions: avsfan09

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yeah but there are ways around that. You just tell the fans something vague. Like he had a procedure or he's taking some personal time off or something.

I don't subscribe to the notion that there's a big risk in opposing players targeting your injury in this day and age either. That's something that really started to go away as the league pushed the goons out with the new rules. A lot of the hitting has even been removed from the game. Guys are just trying to skate and stay in good position for the most part.

Back in the day it was a big concern, but I don't think it's a very high risk now. Only in the playoffs, and if the idea is to conceal the injury from your opponents, I doubt saying lower/upper body injury does much to help that when trainers, agents, broadcasters, reporters, friends, etc know what specific injury you have. Word gets around quick.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah but there are ways around that. You just tell the fans something vague. Like he had a procedure or he's taking some personal time off or something.

Yeah they probably could have given us something vague, but like was said above, I doubt any of the people covering the team bothered digging into it. I doubt the average fan cares what injury Colin Wilson has.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

They told you to hit an injured player, but did they tell you to target the specific area he was injured? I just don't think it happens. If a guy takes a two-handed chop at another guy, he'll do that regardless of whether he knows the guy is nursing a bum knee or not. A headhunter like Tom Wilson doesn't care who the guy is he's running over, or whether he already has an injury, he just picks guys who are in a vulnerable position.

They've had injuries disclosed in the NFL for years, down to the most minute of details, and targeting isn't a problem there. It's a myth. The one exception I can think of is when Flat Bumwick rammed his old teammate's head into the glass knowing full well he had a history of severe concussion issues. I don't remember him even lightly checking anyone before that. Gah...that guy...

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Oh God, with Wilson back there are big decisions to be made. He's obviously going to bring a hex on the team too.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Listened to Locked On Avalanche and dude thought Nieto would be the odd man out in a scenario where everyone was healthy. That makes sense. Everyone else is able to make a better contribution offensively. Regardless of who they choose, that'll be a good problem to have.

Reactions: LTC Pain

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Listened to Locked On Avalanche and dude thought Nieto would be the odd man out in a scenario where everyone was healthy. That makes sense. Everyone else is able to make a better contribution offensively. Regardless of who they choose, that'll be a good problem to have.

I would completely disagree with that. Nieto is probably one of the more secure bottom 6 guys. The Avs basically relied on 4 forwards to roll the PK. Nieto, PEB, Calvert, and Compher. Namestnikov, Nuke, and Donskoi all played some PK, but they weren't in that top rotation. And... Nieto was the top forward in SH ice time in both per game and total amounts. Not by a trivial amount either. He's trusted by Bednar in that role, and that role will be vital in the playoffs. I don't see any of those 4 being taken off the ice to start.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I would completely disagree with that. Nieto is probably one of the more secure bottom 6 guys. The Avs basically relied on 4 forwards to roll the PK. Nieto, PEB, Calvert, and Compher. Namestnikov, Nuke, and Donskoi all played some PK, but they weren't in that top rotation. And... Nieto was the top forward in SH ice time in both per game and total amounts. Not by a trivial amount either. He's trusted by Bednar in that role, and that role will be vital in the playoffs. I don't see any of those 4 being taken off the ice to start.

Yeah it's going to be Jost/Wilson, even if the latter is healthy. I'm sure those guys will get worked in at some point due to injuries, but I'm still doubtful Nieto will be the scratch. It will probably be a guy like Namestikov/Nichushkin if one of them are struggling and/or take some backbreaking penalty late in a game that costs the Avs, so Bednar throws Jost/Wilson in there to fill in as a 3W/PP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad