2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just looking through the stats and noticed St. FX games this year featured 85 “other” (ie/ non-minor) penalties...41 by X and 44 by their opponents.

By comparison the other teams were as follows:

Acadia - 43 (19 for/24 against)
Dalhousie - 34 (21/13)
Moncton - 37 (16/21)
SMU - 47 (28/19)
UNB - 32 (11/21)
UPEI - 32 (19/13)

St. FX had the most PP opportunities in the league this year (168 vs. 144 against) so maybe there’s a method to their madness?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I've said it before. I'm not a big fan of standout rookies also being named to regular all-star teams, unless they truly belong there. Were Boland and St-Cyr the only other forwards the equal of Balmas for 1st team honours? Was Balmas a better all round player than Kielly, Bennett and Johnson? You tell me. Without question he was the best rookie.

And Connor Hall a rookie all-star for playing only the second half, which is less than half a season? I don't get it, and don't forget, Gardiner can't vote for him. Was Hall better than all of the other rookie D-men who played the whole season, other than Thibeault? That's quite the compliment.

Reactions: Island Husky

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was thinking the other day about potential all-rookie d-men...honestly, there really wasn’t much to choose from this year. But yeah, Hall was certainly an odd choice.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I've said it before. I'm not a big fan of standout rookies also being named to regular all-star teams, unless they truly belong there. Were Boland and St-Cyr the only other forwards the equal of Balmas for 1st team honours? Was Balmas a better all round player than Kielly, Bennett and Johnson? You tell me. Without question he was the best rookie.

I think so. Second overall in a scoring. Some would argue he would be first if not for injury.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think so. Second overall in a scoring. Some would argue he would be first if not for injury.

I agree, he was definitely one of the top 3 forwards this year. I don’t think rookies should be excluded from regular all-star teams just because they are a rookie.

Heck, I think you could have argued he was the MVP this year, although I’m not sure the last time they gave it to a rookie. Having said that, I don’t have an issue with Flodell. He played a ton of minutes and led the league in save percentage and was a huge reason for Acadia’s bounce back season.

Reactions: WildWillie and Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

And Connor Hall a rookie all-star for playing only the second half, which is less than half a season? I don't get it, and don't forget, Gardiner can't vote for him. Was Hall better than all of the other rookie D-men who played the whole season, other than Thibeault? That's quite the compliment.

I agree with you to a certain level. But Balmas would have won the scoring title had he not been injured. If Flodell had an average season Balmas could have won MVP. I'm not saying it's right, but unlike the NHL (where the vote is just a vote), AUS/CIS awards are a barter session.

"I'll give you the Best Defenseman, but I want top goalie".

Two years in a row Cam Fergus should have won the CIS Most Sportsmanlike award, but didn't because of a trade-off for MVP to Rancourt and Tremblay.

Reactions: Drummer

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This may sound a bit controversial, but I don't think winning the scoring race should automatically make you an MVP or 1st team all-star.

In my mind, Flodell was hands down the MVP. He had great numbers, he has stolen games, and I believe Acadia will only go as far as he takes them. I believe his play is why Acadia is the most improved team this season.

Next, don't get me wrong, I love watching Balmas and I think he is a great player. Hands down he was the best rookie. But I believe it is not always how many goals you score or set up, but when. Balmas has one game winning goal. One. Boland has four. Johnson has three GWG's. Bennett has two, plus two shorties. Digiancinto also has two and two. Maksimovich has two GWG's and two game tying goals.

In all, there are 21 forwards who have more game winning goals than Balmas. There are 20 forwards who have more shorthanded goals then Balmas. There are five forwards who have more goals than Balmas. Balmas is a -6. There are more than 48 forwards with a better plus/minus, and the list stops at -2. Worse, 16 of Balmas' teammates have a better plus/minus.

And I agree with AUS Fan: there is a history of horse trading between coaches for votes.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
This may sound a bit controversial, but I don't think winning the scoring race should automatically make you an MVP or 1st team all-star.

In my mind, Flodell was hands down the MVP. He had great numbers, he has stolen games, and I believe Acadia will only go as far as he takes them. I believe his play is why Acadia is the most improved team this season.

Next, don't get me wrong, I love watching Balmas and I think he is a great player. Hands down he was the best rookie. But I believe it is not always how many goals you score or set up, but when. Balmas has one game winning goal. One. Boland has four. Johnson has three GWG's. Bennett has two, plus two shorties. Digiancinto also has two and two. Maksimovich has two GWG's and two game tying goals.

In all, there are 21 forwards who have more game winning goals than Balmas. There are 20 forwards who have more shorthanded goals then Balmas. There are five forwards who have more goals than Balmas. Balmas is a -6. There are more than 48 forwards with a better plus/minus, and the list stops at -2. Worse, 16 of Balmas' teammates have a better plus/minus.

And I agree with AUS Fan: there is a history of horse trading between coaches for votes.

I agree that stats only tell part of story but usually when someone is a top scorer, they are also a top player. I'd like to know when the last time someone that won the scoring race wasn't (or shouldn't) have been considered a 1st team. Balmas is pretty deserving in my opinion.

In your second paragraph, you are making an argument that having 1 game winners vs 2 or 3 makes a difference in who deserves to be an all-star? I'm not sure this is really that logical when you think about it. If you score the 5 GWG's in 8-0 blowouts does it really matter? Is the GWG any more important than the goal that ties it or gets you within 1? Is it any more important than the pass that set it up?

+/- is also a tricky stat to use to track a players skill. Does Balmas get matched against the other teams top line often? Does he play increased minutes against top teams like UNB and Acadia? is he asked to take a lot of defensive zone face-offs? etc,etc.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
To be clear, and I guess I wasn't, I'm debating being a 1st team all-star vs. 2nd team all-star.

I know plus/minus is tricky, but I don't like the fact so many people just discount it completely. Not that I am saying you are. If a forward for instance doesn't like to back check, there is a very good chance it will be reflected in his plus/minus. 16th on your team for plus/minus? Has to indicate something.

I agree that stats don't tell everything, and we don't get time on ice stats and the like, and I am not going to take the time to figure out how many of Balmas' points came in key situations. From watching the games it is not a surprise that Ty Boland and his linemates earned a lot of points in blowouts, but they also were the factors in winning some games.

In my opinion, Steven Johnson is the most important/valuable SMU forward, and in the playoffs it seems to be Getson.

In short (after lots of long-windiness), and after years of watching the AUS, I remain unconvinced that winning the points race is the end all and be all of deciding the best forward in the conference. There are just too many other variables at play.

Reactions: WildWillie

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I noticed on UNB’s 5-on-3 power play tonight Moncton put out St-Cyr and Deslauriers...I thought that was an interesting strategy. I don’t know if I’ve ever saw a team put two forwards out there when down two players.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I noticed on UNB’s 5-on-3 power play tonight Moncton put out St-Cyr and Deslauriers...I thought that was an interesting strategy. I don’t know if I’ve ever saw a team put two forwards out there when down two players.

We had 2 D in the box and we have 3 in the stands. I assume the other 2 were probably coming off a shift and had to rest. At some point you have to go with what you have available.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Ahh makes sense...did Moncton play with only 4 D last night?

We had 5 on both Thursday and Friday. Might only have 4 regular D's available tonight, had another injury on Friday and not sure if anyone is ready to come back quite yet. And that mind you is including the few who are even playing banged up. Not the ideal situation to have when going into a best-of-5 with the best team in the country.

Having said that, go Acadia!

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Cole MacDonald has signed with Florida of the ECHL.

X-Men are going to have lots of holes to fill this summer.

Boy, I'll say they're in for a fun summer. Just like that they've lost 4 out of their top 5 scorers of this season. Studnicka too and possibly Spears and Difruscia too if they don't return for a 5th year.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
And so could have Clapperton (2018) and Maillet(2016), but unfortunately injuries happen and the award is for the entire season. I do hope he comes back next year - SMU will be a much tougher team with him in the line-up.

But, we're Not taking about Clapper or Phil. We were talking about Boland and Balmas.

btw, does Dave have a phone yet? If so, ask him to text/call me: 902-483-3689

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad