2019-20 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Yes, I know Waterloo is out, and that Western won the season series (who do you think posted that tweet on Waterloo's official Twitter account? :sarcasm:).

Buta,d earlier in the thread, the league changed the tiebreaking procedures this season, wherein reg/ot wins is the first tiebreaker, and H2H is second - even though every other league on the planet uses total wins as a second tiebreaker after ROW.

If Waterloo wins tomorrow and Western loses, it won't change anything - except it could be a bad look for the league, wherein a team with the same point total, same ROW, and more total wins will miss the playoffs.

If that all sounds like sour grapes, it is!

I actually think ROW is the appropriate tie-breaker, because it's the measure of team success during team play. Any wins in addition to ROW are from the Shootout, which is a gimmick.

So, no, it won't be a bad look for the league.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
ROW is (and should be) the first tie-breaker....I don’t think anyone has an issue with that. But it is very strange head to head is the next tie-breaker over total wins.

I much prefer Head-to-Head as the Tiebreaker. What better way to determine which team is more deserving than observing how they did against each other, especially when the schedule is imbalanced (as it is in the OUA)?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
How about points allowed in the formula?

After ROW and head-to-head, it would make sense. Say each team has 28 points. One team's opponents also had 28 points, and the other's had 30.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Today will determine who gets who in oua east and west playoffs. Should be exciting final day

Waterloo/York/Nipissing/Laurentian are out.

OUA Playoffs
#1 Carleton vs # 8 RMC
This should be Carleton series win but RMC will give them all you can handle

Reactions: MiamiHockey

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Good point re/ balanced schedule.
Agreed that H2H might look like a better second tiebreaker because of the imbalanced schedule. But the imbalanced schedule can still be a factor in H2H: in this case, Western won the season series 2-1 over Waterloo...but Western had an extra home game.

I guess there's no foolproof way to break ties.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
How about points allowed in the formula?

After ROW and head-to-head, it would make sense. Say each team has 28 points. One team's opponents also had 28 points, and the other's had 30.

This can be done by making Regulation Wins the Tiebreaker.

I agree that's a better Tiebreaker than ROW.

Even better than any of these would be to make games worth three points like they do in Europe (and, inexplicably, Canada West Women's Hockey).

The three point games reward Regulation Wins over Overtime Wins.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Th
Agreed that H2H might look like a better second tiebreaker because of the imbalanced schedule. But the imbalanced schedule can still be a factor in H2H: in this case, Western won the season series 2-1 over Waterloo...but Western had an extra home game.

I guess there's no foolproof way to break ties.

There's no perfect way indeed...
But at least if there was still a balanced schedule then everyone's record would be fairly comparable.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
This can be done by making Regulation Wins the Tiebreaker.

I agree that's a better Tiebreaker than ROW.

Even better than any of these would be to make games worth three points like they do in Europe (and, inexplicably, Canada West Women's Hockey).

The three point games reward Regulation Wins over Overtime Wins.
OUA women use the three-pt system too. Far superior, imo.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
That's the 28 game schedule.
10+(2x9)=28
That formula is far too much travel for the coaches to favour it - this isn't major junior, and these guys have too much going on in the classroom and off the ice to travel that much. This was the system that the coaches just went away from. Won't see it back any time soon, IMO.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I am somewhat philosophical on this. Regular season schedules are never "equal" for everybody. Having 8 of 10 (even 6 of 10 for that matter) means that every team with a valid claim to represent the division/conference is included in the playoffs. Some conferences in the NCAA have a post-season tournament which includes all teams. In effect this heightens the regular season title. Often bids are granted to the conference's 1st overall team and to the tournament winner.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Oua West 1st Rd
Toronto/Western
Ryerson/Lakehead
Guelph/Laurier
Windsor/Brock

East - 1st Rd
Carleton/Rmc
UQTR/Queens
/Uoit
/ Concordia

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Oua West 1st rd Predictions
Western over Toronto in 3
Ryerson over Lakehead in 2
Guelph over Laurier in 3
Brock over Windsor in 3

East 1st Rd
Carleton over RMC in 2
UQTR over Queens in 3
Ottawa over Uoit in 2
McGill over Concordia in 2

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
With Toronto's regular season, I would have to think that they get out of the OUA west.
In recent years, Ryerson has been nothing but dissapointment in the playoffs.
I think the top 4 OUA teams are:
Carelton
UQTR
McGill
Toronto

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Toronto in last 6 games is 2-4. I think there year ahead of schedule.

Western will give them a good go. I expect curse of 1st in West will continue.

As for Ryerson, I agree with disappointment statement but this year team seems different. (Better team chemistry). We shall see. Ottawa is better than McGill

My top 4 teams are
Carleton
UQTR
Guelph
Ryerson

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Been broadcasting games in the OUA West for 10 seasons now, and this is about as wide-open as it's been - which is saying something, since it's always wide-open.
Six teams have a legitimate shot to get to Nationals. I don't see Toronto losing in round 1, but can see them having trouble in round 2.
I'll take Guelph to come out of the West, but not confidently.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I hardly watch any of the OUA regular season, but I try to catch as much of the playoffs as possible (especially in the West) due to how much parity there is and the feeling any team can win. Like mentioned, upsets and chaos in the league playoffs might not be good with regards to the University Cup, but it’s a heck of a lot of fun to watch.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Predictions:

East:
Carleton over RMC in 3
Queens over UQTR in 3
Ottawa over UOIT in 3
Concordia over McGill in 3

East:
Western over Toronto in 2
Guelph over Laurier in 2
Brock over Windsor in 3

I see Carleton and Guelph in the Queens Cup Final.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Predictions:

East:
Carleton over RMC in 3
Queens over UQTR in 3
Ottawa over UOIT in 3
Concordia over McGill in 3

East:
Western over Toronto in 2
Guelph over Laurier in 2
Brock over Windsor in 3

I see Carleton and Guelph in the Queens Cup Final.

Haven't McGill and Concordia met three years in a row now?

I'm surprised to see at least two OUA posters pick Western over Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad