Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Does anyone know if Lavoie has ever played much on the LW? If we re-sign Nuge and all of Lavoie, Holloway and Savoie pan out as NHL players, we could have one hell of a forward group in 2-3 years:

Holloway-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Savoie-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kahun/?-RNH-Lavoie

In the World Junior tourney of 2 years ago I think he played left wing?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lavoie, Blumel, Holloway and Savoie all scoring "skilled" goals in the last few days. Things are really looking up at forward in the pipeline after a bleak number of years of forwards outside of the obvious high end guys. I was particularly impressed with Lavoie's skating on his goal. If his skating has improved that much, he could be a potential top 6 guy because he always had the goal scoring skill.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have to say that's the first time ive watched NCAA hockey and wow is that league brutal. Just my first impression but it seems on par with the CHL to my eye. Maybe slightly... Slightly better... Nope cant say that. So much space out there and broken plays i feel like im watching individuals rather than teams. A bunch of one on one battles.

On the good side Holloway looks awesome, but after watching the league id be hesitant to say he is destined for greatness. Certainly looks destined for the nhl and the announcers made many comments towards that but hard to say what his upside is. Solid draft +1 anyways so far.

Reactions: Beerfish

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
I have to say that's the first time ive watched NCAA hockey and wow is that league brutal. Just my first impression but it seems on par with the CHL to my eye. Maybe slightly... Slightly better... Nope cant say that. So much space out there and broken plays i feel like im watching individuals rather than teams. A bunch of one on one battles.

On the good side Holloway looks awesome, but after watching the league id be hesitant to say he is destined for greatness. Certainly looks destined for the nhl and the announcers made many comments towards that but hard to say what his upside is. Solid draft +1 anyways so far.
1. There's so much space because Minnesota plays on an olympic sized rink.

2. The very best CHL team might have a chance against an Atlantic Conference team in a best 3 of 5. Any team from a stronger conference and they'd get swept three straight.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

So seeing as how you've made this post I'm going to have to call to attention a few things and then suggest maybe some self-reflection is warranted. First of all you state that this is your first time watching NCAA hockey. I'll circle back to that. Secondly you say based on your first impression it seems on par with the CHL. Okay, perhaps it's just the game you saw, however most people comparing CHL to NCAA would notice the NCAA game is a faster, more mature team game where you can't get away with some stuff you can in junior. Now circling back to the first point which was that this is your first time watching NCAA hockey, it seems peculiar to me that you've posted some strong opinions on NCAA prospects given that you haven't seen NCAA hockey before. Doesn't really help your credibility. So maybe next time you haven't seem a prospect play, instead of critiquing players based on stats or other people's tweets it would be more beneficial to ask other posters questions who have actually watched that prospect play. It's not like you have to be an expert on prospects to post here, but being super-opinionated about something with which you have very limited experience isn't really a recipe for generating productive discourse. You're better off sticking to what you know and being open to learning what you don't. Other posters will respect you more for it. Not trying to tell you what to do, however given your posting history I'm just trying to point out a potentially more productive, harmonious and enjoyable way to interact with other posters on this board.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Holloway a beauty against #2 ranked Minnesota.

Dylan is a f***ing beast. We made the right call with this pick I have no doubt. He was great at the WJC even though he was on the 4th line with no PP time. He was one of the top forwards on the team and he's exploded in College. He's going to be in the AHL next season

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So seeing as how you've made this post I'm going to have to call to attention a few things and then suggest maybe some self-reflection is warranted. First of all you state that this is your first time watching NCAA hockey. I'll circle back to that. Secondly you say based on your first impression it seems on par with the CHL. Okay, perhaps it's just the game you saw, however most people comparing CHL to NCAA would notice the NCAA game is a faster, more mature team game where you can't get away with some stuff you can in junior. Now circling back to the first point which was that this is your first time watching NCAA hockey, it seems peculiar to me that you've posted some strong opinions on NCAA prospects given that you haven't seen NCAA hockey before. Doesn't really help your credibility. So maybe next time you haven't seem a prospect play, instead of critiquing players based on stats or other people's tweets it would be more beneficial to ask other posters questions who have actually watched that prospect play. It's not like you have to be an expert on prospects to post here, but being super-opinionated about something with which you have very limited experience isn't really a recipe for generating productive discourse. You're better off sticking to what you know and being open to learning what you don't. Other posters will respect you more for it. Not trying to tell you what to do, however given your posting history I'm just trying to point out a potentially more productive, harmonious and enjoyable way to interact with other posters on this board.

Hmmm mmmmm Hmmm mmmmm. Nope. Can't say I like it. Can't say I like it at all.

The funny thing, both ha ha and strange, is that you should know, by my post history, that I don't care about what posters think of me and I have little regard for improving my interactions with them. If I have ever been seeking credibility it's something so far in my past I can not remember.

I could go on and on and on about how your post makes you sound like a... well, you know. But I'm here to bs about hockey. Spit ball. Throw shit against the wall and see what sticks. I very... very... very intentionally put my ignorance on display to incite comment. Hockey comments. Not your drivel about how I can improve my interactions with my fellow man or woman as it may be.

@HaveKnifeWillButcher thank you for the response I was looking for. I was hoping for some insight and explanation for what I was seeing. I don't mind being wrong/off base when using a solitary game for my assessment.

I was not making statements in any way shape or form outside of the one game I watched. If you read more into that perhaps some self reflection is required.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
...you should know, by my post history, that I don't care about what posters think of me and I have little regard for improving my interactions with them...

...I very... very... very intentionally put my ignorance on display to incite comment...

If that's your thing then fine but I think you'll find you get better information more freely from more people if you engage in a less antagonistic manner. As for myself I'm not inclined to waste energy in my interactions with others. I've considered for some time putting you on the ignore list and this response has cemented that decision. So in this instance you've partially achieved your goal of inciting a comment, however unfortunately it's not a hockey comment.

Also language is important so next time perhaps consider your verbage. Incite is a word that trends along the lines of trolling which can obviously get you in trouble on this site, and if you're saying that's your intent then...well, you know.

Definition of incite | Dictionary.com

Toodeloo

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If that's your thing then fine but I think you'll find you get better information more freely from more people if you engage in a less antagonistic manner. As for myself I'm not inclined to waste energy in my interactions with others. I've considered for some time putting you on the ignore list and this response has cemented that decision. So in this instance you've partially achieved your goal of inciting a comment, however unfortunately it's not a hockey comment.

Also language is important so next time perhaps consider your verbage. Incite is a word that trends along the lines of trolling which can obviously get you in trouble on this site, and if you're saying that's your intent then...well, you know.

Definition of incite | Dictionary.com

Toodeloo

Lol. Tyvm for the definition. I am 100% confident of the way I used it and in context of inciting hockey comments, as written, it is 100% not in any way shape or form against the tos or could be considered trolling. That may well be the weakest attempt to twist a clear and concise statement I have ever seen. Either that or your reading comprehension is severely lacking.

It is very apparent you are reading things that are not there and that is on you. If you go into a situation with preconceived outcomes it is all but guaranteed you will draw false conclusions. I agree it's best that you put me on ignore to save yourself from yourself.

Back to hockey. @McYams17 Are you saying that Holloway was used on the fourth line in the WJC? I had thought he had spent the majority of the tournament on the top line outside the last 2?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Did you watch the tournament? He was on the 4th line for maybe a game or two? He spent most of his time in the top 9 up and down.
Him not getting points was almost pure bad luck though.
4th line/bottom six with no pp time my bad. The last game he was top six I believe

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Lol. Tyvm for the definition. I am 100% confident of the way I used it and in context of inciting hockey comments, as written, it is 100% not in any way shape or form against the tos or could be considered trolling. That may well be the weakest attempt to twist a clear and concise statement I have ever seen. Either that or your reading comprehension is severely lacking.

It is very apparent you are reading things that are not there and that is on you. If you go into a situation with preconceived outcomes it is all but guaranteed you will draw false conclusions. I agree it's best that you put me on ignore to save yourself from yourself.

Back to hockey. @McYams17 Are you saying that Holloway was used on the fourth line in the WJC? I had thought he had spent the majority of the tournament on the top line outside the last 2?
I won’t make an assumption like I did up top. I thought he’d played a game or 2 top six but the rest in the bottom six with no pp time. I’m not sure which games though. I have terrible memory at times my bad

Reactions: Aerchon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Honestly a two second search engine search connects to facts not perpetuating false narratives that distort and confuse: 'Relentless' Dylan Holloway will play through pain at World Juniors - TSN.ca

On Monday, Holloway was moved onto Canada's top line alongside Connor McMichael and Dylan Cozens.
"Mikes is a good finisher, reads the play well, and with Cuzzy and Hollo they have a lot of speed and they retrieve pucks," Tourigny explained. "And Cuzzy is a good playmaker so I think that could be a good combo and they're good on both sides of the puck so that line can play against elite players."

Of note: "His pursuit of the puck is relentless, to say the least," observed Tourigny. "When you watch the game you see Dylan everywhere. He's on the forecheck. He's on the back track. He's in every battle. He's supporting his teammates. He is relentless. He's everywhere and creates a ton of room for his teammates."

One of Holloway's best assets we saw during the tournament was his ability, and the coach's trust to move up and down the roster. This utility in his game is going to be huge as Holloway matures into an close to ready NHL prospect. We're seeing this in his Wisconsin sophomore season with top PP and PK time, fantastic face off results, and the offensive production arriving.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Honestly a two second search engine search connects to facts not perpetuating false narratives that distort and confuse: 'Relentless' Dylan Holloway will play through pain at World Juniors - TSN.ca

On Monday, Holloway was moved onto Canada's top line alongside Connor McMichael and Dylan Cozens.
"Mikes is a good finisher, reads the play well, and with Cuzzy and Hollo they have a lot of speed and they retrieve pucks," Tourigny explained. "And Cuzzy is a good playmaker so I think that could be a good combo and they're good on both sides of the puck so that line can play against elite players."

Of note: "His pursuit of the puck is relentless, to say the least," observed Tourigny. "When you watch the game you see Dylan everywhere. He's on the forecheck. He's on the back track. He's in every battle. He's supporting his teammates. He is relentless. He's everywhere and creates a ton of room for his teammates."

One of Holloway's best assets we saw during the tournament was his ability, and the coach's trust to move up and down the roster. This utility in his game is going to be huge as Holloway matures into an close to ready NHL prospect. We're seeing this in his Wisconsin sophomore season with top PP and PK time, fantastic face off results, and the offensive production arriving.

Plays like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi. Both make space for their linemates

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Plays like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi. Both make space for their linemates

Some similarities with dogged puck pursuit. Greater versatility with centre/wing flexibility, size with elite skating, dogged aggressiveness/hunter mentality on pucks (shared trait with Yamo). I think Holloway's game is more mature/NHL 'ready' than Puljujarvi in how he drives all of these strengths with consistent, shift by shift basis. It is instinctual where as Puljujarvi is not yet the sum of his parts growing into the NHL game speed of play and hard ice aggressiveness. Hard to project if Holloway will have Yamamoto's scoring touch. There's a lot to like in all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce