2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Sick idea lets buy out one of the 3 proven goal scorers on the team and then go buy back his 25 goals a season in free agency. Buying goals is easy we'll just sign another free agent goal scorer to compliment Pavelski.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You're reducing this to a single season argument which this isn't. There was always an inherent risk signing Jamie Benn to that contract, but I doubt anyone would argue that it wasn't the right thing to do. Players like Jamie Benn have steep declines. The examples are incredibly common. The question was not if Jamie Benn could contribute the entire length of the contract. It was always how many years would he not contribute at a meaningful level.

A bounce back season is possible for sure. Historically, a guy in decline is not linear, but like many other power forwards, he's showing the signs of the beginning of the end. The hope was always that 2 or 3 years would be especially rough given his contract. Dallas is 3 years in with 5 remaining. That's among the worst case scenarios for a decline to start that soon in the contract.

I still have not seen the suggested compliance buyout options mentioned by the media, but if that is something that became available, you can guarantee Dallas would at least discuss it. That doesn't mean they'd pull the trigger, but it's certainly a very reasonable conversation. Unlike a power forward like Corey Perry who had a recent steep decline and was bought out, Dallas chose to give Jamie Benn a buyout proof contract (over 80% of his remaining contract is signing bonus which cannot be bought out ... that's money he's guaranteed). In recent history, we've watched guys get bought out of monster contracts with a compliance buyout to protect the team's cap. Those were not done because of a single season cap crunch. They were done to protect the team long-term.

Jamie Benn was never going to be the guy playing at a high level into his mid to late 30's. That's the curse of playing the game the way he does, but it's also the reason he earned the massive payday he got. I doubt he'd change anything.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
You have to wonder how much money Gagliardi is losing in this whole thing and how much that will play in to his willingness to spend on a compliance buyout. This has been the worst economic stretch in a decade and its only beginning. No one can go for drinks at Moxies right now and nobody is spending a vacation staying in one of his hotels. Tom is going to lose tens of millions of dollars in these next few months. I just don't see a signing bonus rich contract getting bought out right now.

Reactions: MilesNewton

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I wonder if a player who’s bought-out can immediately re-sign with his team at a lower rate. Only players with signing-bonus-laden contracts would be interested (e.g. Benn); otherwise, they would be out more $$$. Owners and players care about real dollars, while owners and fans care about cap hit. Wonder if the NHL front office would consider it blatant cap circumvention...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wonder if a player who’s bought-out can immediately re-sign with his team at a lower rate. Only players with signing-bonus-laden contracts would be interested (e.g. Benn); otherwise, they would be out more $$$. Owners and players care about real dollars, while owners and fans care about cap hit. Wonder if the NHL front office would consider it blatant cap circumvention...

Generally, compliance buy-outs come with a clause preventing exactly this.

I believe normal buy-outs do as well (see WSH having to get COL to buy-out Orpik for them).

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You have to wonder how much money Gagliardi is losing in this whole thing and how much that will play in to his willingness to spend on a compliance buyout. This has been the worst economic stretch in a decade and its only beginning. No one can go for drinks at Moxies right now and nobody is spending a vacation staying in one of his hotels. Tom is going to lose tens of millions of dollars in these next few months. I just don't see a signing bonus rich contract getting bought out right now.

The thing with this situation though is the money is virtually identical. You're paying Jamie Benn either to play or not. There's nothing Gaglardi can do at this point in terms of Benn to get out of paying him millions of dollars. The situation you're describing has a potential impact on team payroll moving forward though for sure, and that's worrisome, especially when you consider that Gaglardi is a hotel/restaurant tycoon which is among the industries getting hit the hardest.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
If Benn is guaranteed all that money because it is bonuses would he be willing to be bought out if it benefits the team its not like he will lose alot of money and he would probably gain more since he will only lose 5 million in salary then right?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Even with a NMC, a player has no say in being bought out. It prevents him from being exposed to the expansion draft or being placed in the minors, but unconditional waivers is permitted for a player with a NMC for the purpose of a buyout.

Now if he had a choice, financially, it's a huge win for him. He'll still receive $3,333,333 of the last $5 million spread over 10 years. You can pretty much guarantee he'll more than earn that minimal lost salary on his very next contract.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Some game used Winter Classic items still left. Last I checked they had some of the depth guys stuff and then Jamie Benn gloves, Seguin gloves, and that's about it. No meaningful player helmets left. No pucks or jerseys either obviously cause those were all auctioned off for thousands of dollars earlier this year

I bought Radulov's helmet cause why not. Seguin, Heiskanen, etc. Were already gone. Kinda wish I got Gurianov or Hintz's cause they were available but Radulov scored that GWG and the others did nothing memorable so oh well even if he's not here much longer I'll always remember that goal.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wow those are expensive as hell

I wanna know who paid $350 for Dowling's gloves. Had to be his parents right?

But yeah they're ridiculously expensive but basically sold out now. Only things left maybe worth getting would be Pavelski's gloves.

I don't even want to say what I paid for Radulov's helmet but it was under $700 :sarcasm:

Don't know how expensive Seguin and Heiskanen's helmets were though but I imagine more than that

Limp Dekes

Jun 27, 2019
I love the WC gloves. Part of me wants to buy Cogs' (right size/brand I use) to play with... at $350 though, it ain't gonna happen.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Well if we can conclude anything from The Athletic fan poll it's how utterly uninformed the general Dallas Stars fan is about the team and the game.

Denis Gurianov = Team MVP

Miro Heiskanen = Future Captain

Funny stuff.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well if we can conclude anything from The Athletic fan poll it's how utterly uninformed the general Dallas Stars fan is about the team and the game.

Funny stuff.

The first one is a huge joke, he's not even in the conversation, but as to the bold, what makes you think that he wouldn't be down the road?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Do you think Miro Heiskanen displays any type of leadership abilities? The dude is in a shell, talks only to Lindell and Hintz and doesn't inspire any confidence that an NHL captain needs.

Reactions: Kelly Robinson

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Do you think Miro Heiskanen displays any type of leadership abilities? The dude is in a shell, talks only to Lindell and Hintz and doesn't inspire any confidence that an NHL captain needs.
And he's in his 2nd season with the team only. You have no idea what happens in the locker-room or what he's actually like except from watching games.
The C and A are the two most overrated things in sports that every fans think they can accurately read into what makes a player captain material.
Modano was relatively quiet, Benn certainly isn't chatty either.
Nobody has any idea who will be the future leaders of this team, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility to think Heiskanen, will someday be captain.
Out of the very few good prospects the team has, Heiskanen is about the only sure fire one to be here in 10yrs. I'm not delusional enough to think there isn't a possibility someone would make a better leader than him then, nor do i have any details about how he is in the locker room, but i'm also not stupid enough to dismiss it's a possibility because of how he appears in his 2nd year in North America.
A POS like Steve Ott once wore an A, that should tell you how big of a joke it is to have a letter on a jersey.
To think there is a certain criteria that needs to be checked in order for someone to have a letter on their jersey, and to more importantly think you'd have any idea if a player meets that criteria from watching a game is just out of touch with reality. Hell in the NHL Half the time it is a publicity stunt/more ceremonial than anything.

Reactions: Bfantz

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The first one is a huge joke, he's not even in the conversation, but as to the bold, what makes you think that he wouldn't be down the road?

Funny stuff.

The 1st one is wrong actually. Khudobin won team MVP with 243 votes to Gurianov's 155. I can't imagine considering it a huge joke though that the teams leading goal scorer got votes from more casual hockey fans

I thought some of the more shocking things about this poll is that 75 people believe Jason Dickinson is our next captain :sarcasm:or the fact that Stephen Johns got votes for captaincy too. People picking Miro is hardly surprising considering he will likely be here the longest of anyone else on the team

Reactions: Bfantz

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Funny stuff.

They voted Khudobin for team MVP.

I just knew someone on here would say exactly would you said about these people being “uninformed”.

Hilarious. I thought it was quite revealing and interesting. Especially the thoughts about the broadcast.

Reactions: Kcb12345

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Miro Heiskanen will never be an NHL captain, I'd bet my house and car on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

If anyone wants a Seguin game used stick or Benn or someone else (excluding Heiskanen), they have em. Also have a Zuccarello helmet from a road game last season :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad