Prospect Info: 2018 WJC Thread - Alexeyev (RUS), Fehérváry (SVK), Geisser (SUI)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know many aren't watching but man was Alexeyev good tonight. Uses the body when necessary, smart first pass every time, lots of poise. His work on that final Canadian PP was epic.

Only issue I have so far is his positioning could be better. That will come.

I’m watching the replay. He’s noticeable in a good way out there. Very poised.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
[URL=https://www.tsn.ca/poehling-the-mvp-so-far-at-world-juniors-1.1234514]Craig Button's All-Star Teams through round robin play.[/URL]

Group A All-Star Team
Defenceman: Alexander Alexeyev, Russia - His smart, calm and poised puck play in all three zones has been a steadying element for the entire team. (Washington, 2018 1st round, No. 31 overall)

Group B All-Star Team
Defenceman: Martin Fehervary, Slovakia - Excellent skater who takes the initiative and drives the play for Slovakia from the defensive zone, in transition and in the offensive zone. (Washington, 2018 2nd round, No. 46 overall)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really want them to pick forwards but it's hard to be mad when they seemingly make such good picks at defense.
Ehhh, let's see how these defensemen do in the pro ranks before patting the scouting staff too hard on the back. I have high hopes for AA, but I remain skeptical about the rest of their defense prospects being much more than 3rd pairing/fringe guys.

Jun 15, 2007
Ehhh, let's see how these defensemen do in the pro ranks before patting the scouting staff too hard on the back. I have high hopes for AA, but I remain skeptical about the rest of their defense prospects being much more than 3rd pairing/fringe guys.
I like everyone except Johansen.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

Considering where these guys were picked, I'd call a 3rd pairing NHL defenseman outcome a win. Alexeyev seems to have a certain calmness and awareness about him. I'm just not sure now much his offense will carry to the pros. Might lose him in the expansion draft, anyway.

I agree with you, can't project too much from juniors. Fjallby, anyone?

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Siegenthaler had himself a very strong WJCs last year as well, if I recall correctly, as did AJF. Siegs looks like a 2/3LD but we'll see.

The lack of noise around Lucas Johansen is concerning. I know he's injured but it seems like there's been crickets about his development in Hershey. He seems pretty far down the organizational depth chart right now. I remember wanting Sam Steel or Jordan Kyrou at 27 that year.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
2/3? I see a 4/5 so far in Siege. LUJO I have high hopes for but yeah, where’s the chatter? Seems behind the curve. Maybe I’m wrong.

And how exactly would we lose AA in the expansion?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
2/3? I see a 4/5 so far in Siege. LUJO I have high hopes for but yeah, where’s the chatter? Seems behind the curve. Maybe I’m wrong.

And how exactly would we lose AA in the expansion?
Had he started the year in Hershey I think he would have been vulnerable but he is safe.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Had he started the year in Hershey I think he would have been vulnerable but he is safe.

Right, never mind. I had the draft year wrong.

If Alexeyev is in the AHL next year, he will be considered a second year pro for expansion purposes and automatically protected. Is that correct?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

If Alexeyev is in the AHL next year, he will be considered a second year pro for expansion purposes and automatically protected. Is that correct?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Yes and I’m not sure what the threshold is for games he could play this year but Vrana played 3 games in Hershey the equivalent of this year and wasn’t available for Vegas.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Siegenthaler had himself a very strong WJCs last year as well, if I recall correctly, as did AJF. Siegs looks like a 2/3LD but we'll see.

The lack of noise around Lucas Johansen is concerning. I know he's injured but it seems like there's been crickets about his development in Hershey. He seems pretty far down the organizational depth chart right now. I remember wanting Sam Steel or Jordan Kyrou at 27 that year.
I've heard the same about Siegenthaler's stint in the AHL. It just sounds like the whole team down there is an absolute mess and players can't find their groove playing there. Until Johansen gets an opportunity to showcase what he can bring to the table for the main team, I'd hold back the judgment on him.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've heard the same about Siegenthaler's stint in the AHL. It just sounds like the whole team down there is an absolute mess and players can't find their groove playing there. Until Johansen gets an opportunity to showcase what he can bring to the table for the main team, I'd hold back the judgment on him.
LuJo will be okay. He had a decent start to the year while the team was a complete mess. The only bad game I remember watching was when they made him play RD due to injuries and he clearly should only play on the left side. His injury has turned more long term which is concerning. There was very little talk about the injury when it happened and now it has been about 3-4 weeks that he has been out. Hopefully the holiday break allowed him to rest up and get fully healthy

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
LuJo will be okay. He had a decent start to the year while the team was a complete mess. The only bad game I remember watching was when they made him play RD due to injuries and he clearly should only play on the left side. His injury has turned more long term which is concerning. There was very little talk about the injury when it happened and now it has been about 3-4 weeks that he has been out. Hopefully the holiday break allowed him to rest up and get fully healthy
Yep, that would be pretty disappointing if he sits out for months. I actually liked him more than Siegenthaler in Caps training camp. Was pretty surprised about a feedback I got on him this season that hes been a complete horse shit so far. Don't buy it anymore.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia