OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
How Hurtado played this entire game is unbelievable. "Oh, he's getting the right spots, who cares if he misses the net everytime?"

And that sums up Hurtado. Can't hit the F***ING NET!

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
So the Whitecaps had 12 shots in the game.... 0 on target led by the black hole of offense Hurtado with 7 of those.

If you're going to play Hurtado, then play two up front. Maybe one of those 7 chances would fall to someone who could score.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
So the Whitecaps had 12 shots in the game.... 0 on target led by the black hole of offense Hurtado with 7 of those.

If you're going to play Hurtado, then play two up front. Maybe one of those 7 chances would fall to someone who could score.

The team is in utter disarray. The lack of finishing up front has been a problem for years. No one can actually put the ball in the net. Hurtado had so many chances in the last two games, enough to earn victories for his team. Those five extra points would mean a playoff spot.

They have scored 1 goal in the last 7 games and 7 in 11 since the road win in Philly. Since that game they have scored 0 goals on the road in the last 6 games or roughly 540 minutes of play.

This is a league with a very slim margin of error. A couple of poorly chosen assets are okay, but when you have as many players that fit that criteria as the Whitecaps do then things get dicey. Poor player management and acquisitions.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hurtado reminds me of me in floor hockey, except I've had more luck lately scoring goals. Great forechecking, awesome chances, but misses a lot of chances. :D

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
The team is in utter disarray. The lack of finishing up front has been a problem for years. No one can actually put the ball in the net. Hurtado had so many chances in the last two games, enough to earn victories for his team. Those five extra points would mean a playoff spot.

They have scored 1 goal in the last 7 games and 7 in 11 since the road win in Philly. Since that game they have scored 0 goals on the road in the last 6 games or roughly 540 minutes of play.

This is a league with a very slim margin of error. A couple of poorly chosen assets are okay, but when you have as many players that fit that criteria as the Whitecaps do then things get dicey. Poor player management and acquisitions.

And yet they continue to play one up front. Go to a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3, but if we're going to lose, at least make it entertaining. I don't like losing 1-0 due to a defensive error when we could be on the front foot.

But I agree that poor player management is one of the problems that the Whitecaps have. I'd send Hurtado down to the 2nd team and see if he can gain some confidence in scoring some goals down there before giving him another shot with the first team. Continuing to play Morales over Mezquida in the centre attacking role is another poor decision.

I do like Aird and Smith on the right side, both are substandard defensive players, but Aird shows more effort coming back to support Smith than any right midfielder has done for Aird and it seems to have worked. Aird and Smith also have some quality in delivering crosses.

A few players, Techera for example, have regressed from last year. But I think the Caps should look to relocate where their money is spent. Get rid of Morales. You then have two DP spots for next year, bring a proven striker in at the very least.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Get rid of Morales he's been terrible since day one I've always said this. Get rid of Hurtado. Get two really good DP's.

#BringbackCamilo

Actually, he was pretty good on day 1. Think he had a goal and assist his first game.

He was actually pretty good in his 1st season, his second was plagued with injuries and when he came back Mezquida showed that he could play the same position better.

I see Hurtado as a Emile Heskey. Can do everything right and looks a lot better linking up with another striker, but depend on him for goals and you'll never have success.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did I read somewhere that the Caps have one goal in their last seven MLS contests?....I'm no soccer purist, so I don't have much appreciation for the endless build-ups that go nowhere or the steady string of balls into touch and passed back to the keeper....but my gawd, watching a Caps game is borrrring!...when will this interminable season finally be over?

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Did I read somewhere that the Caps have one goal in their last seven MLS contests?....I'm no soccer purist, so I don't have much appreciation for the endless build-ups that go nowhere or the steady string of balls into touch and passed back to the keeper....but my gawd, watching a Caps game is borrrring!...when will this interminable season finally be over?

It's been over for the Caps for a while now. The remaining games are just the corpse of the season twitching :shakehead

and yeah, this season has been quite dull, with just enough interesting games spattered about to make you think that maaaaybe this will be the week they do something cool :laugh:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Courtesy of a post in the Southsider's FB group, all the Whitecaps problems come down to cheap ownership. DP spending:

Montreal: 3 dp's, $3+ million spent
Toronto: 3 dp's, $18+ million spent
Portland: 3 dp's, $2.5+ million spent
Seattle: 3 dp's $6+ million spent
Vancouver: 2 dp's, $2 million spent

Being this cheap there is basically zero room for error in personnel management and the Caps made two big ones - the Beitashour/Aird swap and the Adekugbe loan.

There's minor stuff too (Eg, Robinson's refusal to play 2 forwards despite not having a player who can function as a sole 9 for almost 2 years now, perpetual set piece) but the biggest reason they suck is in the salary numbers.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Courtesy of a post in the Southsider's FB group, all the Whitecaps problems come down to cheap ownership. DP spending:

Montreal: 3 dp's, $3+ million spent
Toronto: 3 dp's, $18+ million spent
Portland: 3 dp's, $2.5+ million spent
Seattle: 3 dp's $6+ million spent
Vancouver: 2 dp's, $2 million spent

Being this cheap there is basically zero room for error in personnel management and the Caps made two big ones - the Beitashour/Aird swap and the Adekugbe loan.

There's minor stuff too (Eg, Robinson's refusal to play 2 forwards despite not having a player who can function as a sole 9 for almost 2 years now, perpetual set piece) but the biggest reason they suck is in the salary numbers.

Has the team always been this "cheap"? If so, I don't feel so negative towards Camilo Sanvezzo for getting the heck out of town.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
If CMNT finishes third in the group, don't we still go into a playoff match to qualify for the hex? Been awhile since I looked at the rules.

Edit: nope, looks like it's the hex that has the playoff round

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Has the team always been this "cheap"? If so, I don't feel so negative towards Camilo Sanvezzo for getting the heck out of town.

This is the problem when you have a group of owners that don't give two ***** about the sport. The franchise had a remarkable opportunity to capitalize off the Canucks failure and they pissed it away.

I remember I doubted the source who told me that the organization was so high on Hurtado (they seem him as a long-term project...at age 25 :laugh: ) that they felt jettisoning Rivero and Mattocks was the right move. Lo behold, it looks like that's the case.

I don't blame the fans for tuning out. How can someone watch this hot garbage week after week and know there are little to no improvements in the horizon? Hell, it looks like we may get rid of more players in the off-season and fill the void with players from WFC2.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Big chance for the Canada men's team. Up 2-0 with more than 30 minutes to play and El Salvador down to 10 men. They should be able to score at least 2 or 3 more now.

Though the guy sent off is taking an age to leave the field.

All they need now is Mexico to score a couple!

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Conceding a goal to 10 men shouldn't happen.

Now sending David Edgar on for Hoilett makes no sense, he's been one of the better players this game.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Edgar scores in the 92nd minute, four minutes to play but need about 2 more goals and Mexico to score 1.

Highly doubt it's going to happen.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Love the referee telling the El Salvador player to get up when he's trying to waste time. Wish he just gave him a yellow.

EDIT: But not enough. Needed more goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad