2018 Under 18 Priority Selection - April 11th

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
What happens to a kid like Flint's D Dennis Busby? Drafted in the 2nd round behind Ty Dellandrea. Had a very good first year, but injured all but two games this season. He would most definitely have been drafted by a NHL team this upcoming draft. If not selected, does he fall to the U-18 draft next year?

Last edited:

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Confusion is common this years drafts.

The U-16 draft on Saturday had 5 players drafted who are older then -U-16 and should have been drafted last night in the U-18 draft

There were 3 players who are 2000's and 2 players born in 2001. Do the math all 5 players are over 16yrs in a draft done in 2018!!

Yet they draft in the U-18 draft an 02 born who just moved to Ontario last yr (lived last yr at St Andrews College) and is clearly not a 01 and/or '00 born

Why is the OHL allowing for this to happen? What is going on with these draft rules

I just looked at it appears that 5 2001's and 3 2000's were taken on Saturday in the Priority Selection. What is the criteria to allow these players to be eligible for that draft?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Confusion is common this years drafts.

The U-16 draft on Saturday had 5 players drafted who are older then -U-16 and should have been drafted last night in the U-18 draft

There were 3 players who are 2000's and 2 players born in 2001. Do the math all 5 players are over 16yrs in a draft done in 2018!!

Yet they draft in the U-18 draft an 02 born who just moved to Ontario last yr (lived last yr at St Andrews College) and is clearly not a 01 and/or '00 born

Why is the OHL allowing for this to happen? What is going on with these draft rules

its pretty simple, its not a U16 draft, its a priority selection. you can draft anyone other then those who are eligible for the midget draft. the 3 2000s and 2 2001 were not eligible for the midget draft because they dont play midget, they play JrA, USA U16/UI17 or Prep. its pretty straight forward.

Declan Carlile - JrA
Owen Robinson - JrA
Jacob Kelly - JrA
Grayson Arnott - Ontario Prep
Jacob Badal - American U16
Cole McWard - American U16
Patrick Guzzo - American U16
Cole Caufield - Us U17

i have no idea why an 02 went in the midget draft, but the kids who went in the OHL draft are the same type of players who always get drafted in the ohl draft, the same ones who went in last years ohl draft without any complaining.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I just looked at it appears that 5 2001's and 3 2000's were taken on Saturday in the Priority Selection. What is the criteria to allow these players to be eligible for that draft?

none of those players were playing midget hockey, hence why they are not eligible for the midget draft

Reactions: flamebird

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What happens to a kid like Flint's D Dennis Busby? Drafted in the 2nd round behind Ty Dellandrea. Had a very good first year, but injured all but two games this season. He would most definitely have been drafted by a NHL team this upcoming draft. If not selected, does he fall to the U-18 draft next year?

....the U18 draft is for OHL teams to select Midget aged players who weren't previously chosen in the OHL priority selection.

To answer your question regarding Busby, if he doesn't get selected in this year's NHL draft, he's eligible again next year. There will be at least a couple OHL players chosen in June after going unpicked last year.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If they want this draft to be a success they better open it up past midget

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If they want this draft to be a success they better open it up past midget

The draft wasn't made to help OHL teams. It was made to help Ontario major midget leagues keep the kids instead of them going to play Jr B/Jr C

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Another poster had suggested this a while back but I think it makes more sense to include both Minor and Major midgets in the same draft - NHL looks at re-entry players in their draft so why not have both eligible in the same draft? You could have a 16th round if that floats your boat but I see it still working with 15 rounds.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It helped somewhat in the GTHL and OMHA

Good, i think it is a good option for players if the coaching is there. I have seen alot of kids opt to get buried in jrB around here instead of top role spots in MajMid and I don't think its helped their development.

I was glad to see Vutig from GTHL (TO JrC) get a look early and wish him best of luck in Sept.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Didn't help at all in our area. Every kid offered a 5/6/7 7D role or 4th line role bolted for jrB.
I think that's short sighted on the players/kids part depending on the Jr. B program. It comes down to who the coach is and what the path to a higher level looks like with that program. That's all assuming the player wants to play at a higher level. In Ottawa, the system is so different from the rest of Ontario that I may not have a good grasp on the motivations for players in other regions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad