NHL Entry Draft 2018 Tank Thread | Why Not Us? Why Not Now? | Sens Finish 30th, TOP 5 PICK GUARANTEED

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
We make the playoffs soley based on a)does Andy bounce back (historical yes) / do we get another back up or starter challenger (ie. Lehner UFA, Gillies, etc.)
b)do we address defense. We have two Top 4 D atm, and an inbetween (Ceci I'm looking at you).

Address that and I dont give a **** about our forwards, I bet we make the playoffs.
We have no idea whether Andy will bounce back to a significant degree though. And our defense is currently a huge questions mark at best, and our forward depth is pretty bleh. And if Karlsson gets traded in the offseason we DEFINITELY aren't making the playoffs.

And personally I'd rather not spend an entire year worrying about our pick winning the draft lotto while being in possession of the Avs. If we get a top 3 pick this year, awesome, let's keep it but if we're picking 6th or 7th just give it to the Avs and start fresh next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have no idea whether Andy will bounce back to a significant degree though. And our defense is currently a huge questions mark at best, and our forward depth is pretty bleh. And if Karlsson gets traded in the offseason we DEFINITELY aren't making the playoffs.

And personally I'd rather not spend an entire year worrying about our pick winning the draft lotto while being in possession of the Avs. If we get a top 3 pick this year, awesome, let's keep it but if we're picking 6th or 7th just give it to the Avs and start fresh next year.
Completely disagree with this, Ottawa will most certainly end up with a top 10 pick this yr & they should use it. The chances they get into the lottery next season or even in the top 10 is too big a risk to take & it may not happen. It only takes the goalies to be slightly better or fewer injuries or one other player steps up & has a better yr & they could be much improved. They had 3 - 20 goal scorers this yr & could again next season & hopefully more.

There is also a great deal of time between this draft yr & the 2019 draft where lots of things could happen before that time & Ottawa could acquire another 1st rd pick for that draft. It just makes no sense IMO to give up this yr's pick on a HOPE & a PRAYER that we might do better in the 2019 draft. I also disagree that if we trade Karlsson we won't make the playoffs, it may depend on what the return is but improving in other areas could easily make them a playoff team without Karlsson. They could end up in 11 to 15th miss the playoffs & still be out of the top 10 for the draft, too many variables IMO to risk not taking a top 10 pick this yr.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is the important thing. Unless they think they're getting a game changer (which from some sources think it could be the top 3-6 range), you give the pick and go into next year with certainty.

If things go poorly, we have our pick and the ability to sell off and properly rebuild. If you don't, you run the enormous risk of Dorion burning even more futures to put what will be at best a bubble team over the top to salvage his reputation and pride. Or worse caving to a huge contract demand (ala Bobby Ryan) to Duchene to not make the trade seem like a total disaster instead of dealing him at the deadline. Best to just pull the band aid off and move onwards.

There's so many bad scenarios that could play out next year if they don't keep that pick. Risk all that for the likes of Hughes or Bouchard or Wahlstrom? I don't think so.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This is the important thing. Unless they think they're getting a game changer (which from some sources think it could be the top 3-6 range), you give the pick and go into next year with certainty.

If things go poorly, we have our pick and the ability to sell off and properly rebuild. If you don't, you run the enormous risk of Dorion burning even more futures to put what will be at best a bubble team over the top to salvage his reputation and pride. Or worse caving to a huge contract demand (ala Bobby Ryan) to Duchene to not make the trade seem like a total disaster instead of dealing him at the deadline. Best to just pull the band aid off and move onwards.

There's so many bad scenarios that could play out next year if they don't keep that pick. Risk all that for the likes of Hughes or Bouchard or Wahlstrom? I don't think so.

For every single bad scenario, there is a good scenario.

Just saying.

I mean, Anderson following his career trend alone would be a MASSIVE boost for the team next year. This was his off-year. Next year he'll be good again! It's just what he does.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Just saying.

I mean, Anderson following his career trend alone would be a MASSIVE boost for the team next year. This was his off-year. Next year he'll be good again! It's just what he does.
Sure. So if things go well, the downside is we have our 7th-9th overall for a 17th-19th but things are relatively stable on the ice (safe assumption).

The downside of then giving a lottery pick is much greater. Bad on ice performance, no pick, likely loss of key FAs. Absolute catastrophe.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Just saying.

You can’t bet on that with Anderson’s age. How many goalies play at a high level into their late 30’s?

It’s too easy to say he’ll bounce back next year, don’t worry. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. There are no guarantees.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I understand the reasoning, but I think you have to stick with what you have in hand over hopes and dreams. Dorion will get feasted on by fans and critics if we give up a top 10 pick this year and then surprise next year.

Reactions: Mr Hat and aragorn

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Completely disagree with this, Ottawa will most certainly end up with a top 10 pick this yr & they should use it. The chances they get into the lottery next season or even in the top 10 is too big a risk to take & it may not happen. It only takes the goalies to be slightly better or fewer injuries or one other player steps up & has a better yr & they could be much improved. They had 3 - 20 goal scorers this yr & could again next season & hopefully more.

There is also a great deal of time between this draft yr & the 2019 draft where lots of things could happen before that time & Ottawa could acquire another 1st rd pick for that draft. It just makes no sense IMO to give up this yr's pick on a HOPE & a PRAYER that we might do better in the 2019 draft. I also disagree that if we trade Karlsson we won't make the playoffs, it may depend on what the return is but improving in other areas could easily make them a playoff team without Karlsson. They could end up in 11 to 15th miss the playoffs & still be out of the top 10 for the draft, too many variables IMO to risk not taking a top 10 pick this yr.
This guys got it. I heavily beleive our D will be addressed, Condon will be replaced, and we will loose Karlsson, Smith, Hoffman by the start of next year. And we can still make the playoffs

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm pissed that Arizona managed to blow a lead to the Canes, who are awful right now. It's quite realistic to expect them to pass us in the standings, especially if Stone and EK stay out for the remainder of the season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's most likely that PD will try & move a couple of guys at the end of the season maybe during the draft or in the summer. I imagine PD will try & do something about either Gaborik or Ryan before next yr if he can if not it's not the end of the world with these two who both can still score in the NHL, at least for another yr.

I hope they do something with the goaltending although I'm not sure who would take either of these guys considering how bad they both have been this yr. I wonder if PD will make a big move at this yr's draft or next yr when he will need a 1st rd pick? I could also see Claesson & maybe Pyatt moved at some point & maybe even Pageau. We can also see why they might want to move Hoffman, the guy can score like it's nobodies business but man he is infuriating defensively & he just makes a lot of bad lazy plays. Should be an interesting off season & it's coming fast.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Gotta watch Pittsburgh's pick as well.....they aren't going to miss the playoffs, but with a few extra losses they could drop to a wild card spot and reasonably finish with their pick at 17. It would stay at 17 so long as they don't make the conference final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad