Speculation: 2018 RFA compensation list released (offer sheets)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Those are not bad. You may even see some offer sheets go out at those prices. If I were a top end team and could get a better, NHL ready player with my first rounder through offer sheet than I could be drafting, I think I would do it.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
For example, Andreas Athanasiou would be an interesting pick for someone. Would the Wings take a 2nd?

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Wonder if the sabres offer helly a 7x 8.1 million dollar deal, would solve their goaltending problems and only cost 3 picks.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Wonder if the sabres offer helly a 7x 8.1 million dollar deal, would solve their goaltending problems and only cost 3 picks.

Sabres don't have their own 2018 3rd rd pick (traded to MIN in Scandella trade) so they would be unable to offer anything over the third tier of up to $4.059m per

EDIT: nvm!

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Those are not bad. You may even see some offer sheets go out at those prices. If I were a top end team and could get a better, NHL ready player with my first rounder through offer sheet than I could be drafting, I think I would do it.

Offering team has to be ready to overpay a player. Otherwise, the team will match and all you’ve done is tick off another GM that may not do business with you in the future.

If you are going to offer sheet, it better be high enough to force the other team not to match.

Also, keep in mind that the numerator that is used to determine the average cap hit is the Lower of 5 or the term of the contract.

So, a 7 year deal for $50 million is Not a few comp of $7.14 million, it is actually $10 million.

So, for a team to not pay as high a compensation price, the player would have to max out term at 5 years.

All part of the things GMs, agents, players have to consider.

Reactions: Blind Squirrel

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think it's a "do unto others" scenario. Once someone breaks the code, teams will start doing it. If I'm going to get fired if I don't improve fast, I mortgage the future because if I lose its not my future anymore anyway. It will be interesting. We always see this and it never comes to pass but this looks like the most favorable one towards the team offering that I can remember.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Someone in the Atlantic who is able to put together a serious offer sheet should be targeting Detriot... they are in cap trouble, and have a lot of enticing RFA's (sorry Wing's fans)

Larkin or Mantha specifically. Detroit would have a difficult dilemma presented if either player got an offer sheet for $5-6 mil per (1st & 3rd rd pick compensation)
Detroit has so many picks already and would likely want to match... but they're in cap trouble regardless, and being forced to match that would present a lot more headaches for them, which should be a goal of every team in the Atlantic/Eastern Conference especially.

But I expect absolutely nothing to happen. Two years in a row, it could not have been more obvious which players should be getting flooded with offer-sheets to put their teams in a difficult position whether to match or not, yet neither did (or at least neither signed them if they were in-fact sent offers) and their teams skated away with great deals. I'm talking about Kucherov and Pastrnak here.

It's almost as if there is a silent agreement between owners/GM's not to offer sheet each-other, because nobody can deny there should be more than there are. I get my hopes up every year that someone will have the stones to send a smart offer sheet out there, but it never happens.

How could everyone let Tampa get away with keeping Kucherov for $4.76m per?!? Blows my mind. /rant

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Sabres don't have their own 2018 3rd rd pick (traded to MIN in Scandella trade) so they would be unable to offer anything over the third tier of up to $4.059m per
This year's draft picks don't matter. You can't sign a player to an offer sheet until July 1, so it would be 2019 (and future) picks that you would need to have to fit the requirements.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If a contender can target a team that’s having cap issues, I could maybe see something happen, but mostly as stated above it’s a do unto others situation with GMs worried about reprisals.
There is far to much gentlemanly agreement among NHL GMs and far to little screw you I’m here for my team and my organization.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Any Oilers fans on board with offer sheeting montour? Would only cost a 1st and 3rd or 1st 2nd 3rd. Id Id do it for less than 6.5 mil.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It's too bad GM's don't have the stones to use offersheets. They've consistently let other teams off the hook with their RFA's. Still interesting to discuss guys and teams that should be targeted.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I really don't see why teams don't offersheet more players at compensations like that. I mean, I understand its because its an old boys club, but you can probably get a great young player with term for not that much future pain.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Someone in the Atlantic who is able to put together a serious offer sheet should be targeting Detriot... they are in cap trouble, and have a lot of enticing RFA's (sorry Wing's fans)

Larkin or Mantha specifically. Detroit would have a difficult dilemma presented if either player got an offer sheet for $5-6 mil per (1st & 3rd rd pick compensation)
Detroit has so many picks already and would likely want to match... but they're in cap trouble regardless, and being forced to match that would present a lot more headaches for them, which should be a goal of every team in the Atlantic/Eastern Conference especially.

Detroit will have over $25M in cap space soooo.... How exactly are they at risk of not being able to match an offer sheet?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Whoever ends up getting him will be kicking themselves for the next five years.

Not about that 20%+ shooting percentage life?

I agree with this board. There's this tool out there, that lets you literally make a forced trade (I.E, You can have my 2nd/3rd for this player; if the players' willing to sign) that no one takes advantage of. All it does is make people want to barn fight.

Too much gentlemanly type behavior in the NHL.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not about that 20%+ shooting percentage life?

Actually wasn't even aware of his shooting percentage, but if I'm a GM I take this July 1st off. Shallow UFA pool, inflating scoring year, and a major cap hike. There's gonna be a lot of bad contacts coming out this year.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

AAV for compensation is calculated at the lesser of the number of years offered and 5 years. So the compensation for 7x8.1 would actually the same total salary at 5 years (or 5x11.34) which is 4 firsts.

5x8.1 would work and 6x6.5 would probably get you a lot of choices too.

Reactions: Yamazaki

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
AAV for compensation is calculated at the lesser of the number of years offered and 5 years. So the compensation for 7x8.1 would actually the same total salary at 5 years (or 5x11.34) which is 4 firsts.

5x8.1 would work and 6x6.5 would probably get you a lot of choices too.
Thanks for clarification

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Would Winnipeg be able to match a 7x7 offersheet on Trouba? Some playoff teams who like him might not mind acquiring him for two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad