Red Sox/MLB 2018 REGULAR SEASON - The Price Is Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hate agreeing with Gasper but he is dead on about this Red Sox team and the fanbase.

The Red Sox can’t really win until they win in the playoffs - The Boston Globe

NESN is no longer must-see TV during the summer and John Henry has taken the keys away from Tom Werner and did not renew the contract of the person who cut Orsillo loose. Henry wants Orsillo back and move Obie back to radio.

I never thought the Patriots would leap past the Sox and become the most popular team but it has happened.

We already know the 5 AL teams that will advance and oddly the weakest of the 5 is the only one that seems assured to be in the ALDS.

upload_2018-7-6_4-10-4.png

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
The Jon Lester insult must haunt LL

I like Harper but he’d be an expensive 3rd OF for Boston

Betts has proven to be better than Harper & Stanton

Can’t fathom what he gets but $25 M seems easy per year

Be nice if Arizona could get him.

Boras will probably do something like 10/250 with multiple opt outs after like 3 and 6 years

He'll get more than that unless he gets injured.

I can't wait to see what Betts will get if you guys don't extend him. He should be in line for the largest contract in MLB history at that point.

Wait, are Mookie Betts and Mike Trout scheduled to hit free agency the same offseason?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He'll get more than that unless he gets injured.

I can't wait to see what Betts will get if you guys don't extend him. He should be in line for the largest contract in MLB history at that point.

Wait, are Mookie Betts and Mike Trout scheduled to hit free agency the same offseason?

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
which is absurd for a player that has never reached 100 RBI, only once hit 30+ HR and has a negative dWAR for his career

I couldn't care less about the 100 RBI thing. Meaningless and arbitrary numbers.

There's a bit of hype to Harper though. Very few players have had a 10 win season at age 22, and he's hitting free agency at 26, which is also rare.

The thing that would concern me most is that he seems to go all out all of the time, and that reflects in his injury history, both in missed time and decreased production.

Would that be the case if he was just a star on a team of stars vs. the franchise? Not sure.

In some ways, his best fit would be as a 1b/OF for a team like Boston/NY/LA or Chicago, but that also might not be the place that drops $300m on him.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
which is absurd for a player that has never reached 100 RBI, only once hit 30+ HR and has a negative dWAR for his career

RBI is a pretty bullshit stat, so I don't care about that.

His age combined with skill level will be unmatched in free agency history. And since I expect the Yankees to go all in ion him I think his salary will be enormous.

Reactions: BiggioRainesHOF

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
RBI is a pretty bull**** stat, so I don't care about that.

His age combined with skill level will be unmatched in free agency history. And since I expect the Yankees to go all in ion him I think his salary will be enormous.

Boston is going to get Harper, the Yankees are going to sign Betts when Boston doesn't extend him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Love the advanced stats guys in here saying RBI is a meaningless stat and then pimping up pure garbage like OPS, OBP, WAR, Babip, and UZR like those made up stats do. :laugh:

It's the equivalent of saying point totals in hockey don't matter, but having a great fenwick does. So f***ing hilarious. :laugh:

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Love the advanced stats guys in here saying RBI is a meaningless stat and then pimping up pure garbage like OPS, OBP, WAR, Babip, and UZR like those made up stats do. :laugh:

It's the equivalent of saying point totals in hockey don't matter, but having a great fenwick does. So ****ing hilarious. :laugh:

Troll Lonnie Trolls.

Reactions: LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

It's the equivalent of saying point totals in hockey don't matter, but having a great fenwick does. So ****ing hilarious. :laugh:

I have to agree. RBI is a very important measure of a player's offensive productivity.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

hahaha

"who cares if he's never scored 50 pts, his CFrel% on tuesday's when the temperature is between 30* and 35* is 7.2!"

RBI is a pretty bull**** stat, so I don't care about that.

100% false.

Manny Ramirez hit the market as an FA at 28, on the heels of 3 seasons of:

.294/.377/.599, 45, 145
.333/.442/.663, 44, 165
.351/.457/.697, 38, 122

Barry Bonds hit FA at 27 having won 2 MVPs in the prior 3 seasons

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
hahaha

"who cares if he's never scored 50 pts, his CFrel% on tuesday's when the temperature is between 30* and 35* is 7.2!"

100% false.

Manny Ramirez hit the market as an FA at 28, on the heels of 3 seasons of:

.294/.377/.599, 45, 145
.333/.442/.663, 44, 165
.351/.457/.697, 38, 122

Right, which is why Ryan Spooner is in such high demand.

Oh wait, context matters. Which is why RBI is bulls***.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
I think you and EverettMike should team up for a sports related TV show. You could call it the Mike and Mike show.

It definitely is a catchy name.

It wouldn't draw in enough revenue because we'd alienate all of you dinosaurs who think you invented sports but are in the key product buying demographics for sports radio.

0.0% of MLB front offices use RBI, runs, BA instead of stats like WAR, wRC, etc. Zip, zero, nada. It's almost as if it's a bad idea to use shitty information to run a billion dollar business because that's how everyone always used to do it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It wouldn't draw in enough revenue because we'd alienate all of you dinosaurs who think you invented sports but are in the key product buying demographics for sports radio.

0.0% of MLB front offices use RBI, runs, BA instead of stats like WAR, wRC, etc. Zip, zero, nada. It's almost as if it's a bad idea to use ****ty information to run a billion dollar business because that's how everyone always used to do it.

Yeah, why use numbers that actually matter and are quantifiable when you can take amalgams of numbers, add in some subjectivity, and then draw your conclusions?

Let me ask you a question though. Billy Beane is universally accepted as one of the earlier adopters of sabermetrics, right? How many World Series titles has he amassed in his GM career? I'll wait for your answer...

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Yeah, why use numbers that actually matter when you can take amalgams of numbers, add in some subjectivity and then draw your conclusions.

Let me ask you a question though. Billy Beane is universally accepted as one of the earlier adopters of sabermetrics, right? How many World Series titles has he amassed in his GM career? I'll wait for your answer...

Yes, let's use Billy Beane and the $40m payroll A's as an example of why something doesn't work. Since he took over as GM, only 12 franchises have won a World Series. So while he was an early adopter, his problem ended up being that other teams with more resources (Boston, New York) caught on.

Lonnie, if I took data (what RBI is) and tried to pass it off as analysis in any of the industries I've worked in (Finance, Healthcare, etc) I'd be fired on the spot and would have difficulty getting another job.

Sports were behind the curve, not ahead.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah, why use numbers that actually matter and are quantifiable when you can take amalgams of numbers, add in some subjectivity, and then draw your conclusions?

even worse...how many playoff series wins did his teams have? the answer is ZERO. a Beane built team has never won a playoff series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad